The Hong Kong thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by morphine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

They also release a video showing China’s People’s Liberation Army practicing anti-riot drills - guns firing and with tanks!

Tiananmen Square incident in the making. I hope not.

2. danielg

danielg PhilMUG Addict Member

Unless a compromise deal is reached, this may not end well. Problem is that some of the protesters have turned into hooligans and vandals, although these are most likely in the minority, but somehow it cast a bad light towards them also and emboldens the others who were initially peaceful to follow their examples.

ronjet likes this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..looking at Agoda. V good hotel rates. Tempting. Quick weekender perhaps.

Just don't wear all white or all black tshirts and keep updated on which areas or neighborhoods to avoid. This is nearly as bad as the 2014 occupy central protests, which lasted 79 straight days.

If I was a Hong Konger, I d also be joining the protests.

It would be a huge mistake for Beijing to crack down with troops. China needs HK as a financial gateway and a tech gateway to the world. Western countries grant special economic priveleges to HK but only if the two system one country rule stays undisturbed. A Tiananmen-style crackdown will devastate HK's economy.

US and China are in the midst of an escalating trade war. If a massacre occurs, it will only harden the resolve of the hardliners in the Trump White House and European countries may just join Trump.

ronjet likes this.
  4. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Agree same here with a free RT arifare I got from my card sounds like a good time to go in buy and fly back :)

ronjet and raypin like this.
  5. Xcalith

Xcalith Member

Has anyone shipped a substantial weighted package from Hong Kong to the Philippines? I'm planning on buying bike parts to the Philippines and need advice on how not to get caught up on customs and all.

6. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

Drats! Flying to HK tomorrow morning for a short business trip. Wish me luck.

7. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Viva la revolution!

wulf and ronjet like this.
  8. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Hopefully they will win and become an independent country. Just imagine the possibilities if they actually win. Other countries under China will probably demand freedom also.

jhonas015, jologs, wulf and 2 others like this.
  9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Everything’s been cancelled, except for the kitchen sink. My friend is stranded in HK after the cancellation of flights though they can’t return to their hotel because they’ll be waiting at the airport for the possibility of any flights out. There are no shops open at the airport, even fast food chains. Airport authorities have allowed them to go out and buy food outside and return and eat on whatever space they are allowed. The once pristine interiors of HKIA are shuttered, eerily quiet and ghostly after protesters left in the middle of the night. Rumor has it they will be returning at 6AM with food, supplies and medicines for stranded passengers.

Chinese authorities though have threatened to shut off power at HKIA thereby affecting not only the protesters but thousands of stranded passengers there, which is a great big dick move by Carrie Lam’s dog enforcers.

Sunil_K, ronjet, raypin and 3 others like this.
  10. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Maybe you can return from Macao instead of HK.

jhonas015, raypin and rednaxela like this.
  11. hitme64

My friend has returned home from HK after nearly 31 hours stranded at the airport. He had to rebook on a Japan Air Lines flight back to Manila instead of Cathay after it had to cancel most of its outgoing trips.

He has a gift for me: a black T-shirt of the protesters that was given to him (a female protester at that!). He said the demonstrators were mostly young, educated, fit and dressed well (not the usual ragged look of our kababayang aktibista). But they were eloquent, articulate and fervent in their desire for change in HK, something clearly lacking in our Sarah Elagos who, despite their fight for whatever they want, either lack a conceptual mindset, an uncanny charismatic ability and a voice for alternative platforms.

Anyway, welcome back Igan. Told you so Macau was better.

Sunil_K, Qin Zhi, Juice and 2 others like this.
  12. topaz

topaz Active Member

I won't bet on this happening. Xi won't allow it.

13. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Tibet and Taiwan will soon follow suit if China conceded with the hong kong protestors. China’s ruling communist party will never capitulate. As much as I want them to succeed in their demand for securing human rights and freedoms, they are facing a giant with no intention of letting go of its grip onto Hong Kong.

porkypork likes this.
  14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....:ROFLMAO:

E5762DF6-00FD-444C-8C0F-978BB8109E1D.jpeg
    Ingat ingat! Yung hopia ko masisira!

Sunil_K, Juice and hitme64 like this.
  15. hitme64

It’s war! HK police stormed the HK International Airport last night and fought off hundreds of protesters! Meanwhile, outbound passengers waited in still open airport cafes and restos sipping latte and eating ramen while chaos ensued. “Looks like we’ll be here longer, mate.”

16. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

17. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I have this impression that China would rather massacre those millions of people than let go of HK. To add the protesters are not even asking for a complete independence from China.

Sunil_K likes this.
  18. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

International media should be very vigilant on what’s going to happen next. I will be very concerned once China starts to strictly restrict international media from covering the events.

19. waks13

waks13 Active Member

The Hong Kongers to today have completely betrayed the values and attitudes of HKers of 2 and 3 generations ago. Hong Kong’s importance has been slipping for years, they have continued
    to seek even more comfort in these false and dated beliefs. Instead of committing to learning more about how China had developed in recent years, they tried
    to comfort themselves with false ideas of their superiority.

The best way to correct their thinking is for China to take full control of Hong Kong, and round up the troublemakers after a decent interval, and send them
    to Xinjiang for a decade of re-education. When they realize how wrong they were, they can return to HK and give public lectures
    to the HK public about how Hong Kong’s growth and prosperity are linked to China’s growth and prosperity.

TOBACCO and rbenzon like this.
  20. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate on the false and dated beliefs of the current Hong Kongers? Because I am genuinely curious about your assessment of their situation.

Kulafu likes this.