The Hong Kong thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by morphine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....TST is still the best place, for the strategic location. 4-5 Star: Mira Hotel, Kowloon Hotel, Holiday Inn Golden Mile, 2-3 star: Imperial Hotel (book direct to avail of late checkout), budget: lots, like Hop Inn. TST is to HK as Mandaluyong/Ortigas is to Metro Manila. Easiest way to the area: take Airport Express (just get the 300 hkd MTR travel pass with round trip ticket plus unli MTR with redeemable 50HKD upon departure) and get off Kowloon Station, then take the free hotel shuttle bus to TST (e.g. K2 will drop you off at Holiday Inn Golden Mile; For complete list of routes, go to MTR website) or take a red cab and pay 40hkd.

2. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree. :) Mongkok for me is like you were in the New Divisoria area, with lots of tiangge (fa yuen streets and ladies market)and shopping area,mall. But I really like mongkok for good finds, street shopping and some electronics store plus the food.

3. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

Mongkok is great. we got super cheap rooms via airbnb. i like going around fa yuen. super alive yung crowd.
    mostly sneakers nga lang dun. but you need super comfy shoes going around hk.

4. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

Hi folks,

I'm planning to visit HK this April, and inquired for packages thru a friend. Just want to know your inputs with regards to Royal View Hotel compare to (BP International,Guangdong,Metropark Mongkok & Shamrock). The Royal View offer is cheaper by around 4k against the other group which seems to be very near the city.

Are the savings at Royal View worth the trouble getting around HK? or should I choose one from the group instead. Actually only found 1 mention of Royal View from my search on this thread. And I saw that it's quite far from the city.

Thank you for your inputs. :)

5. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

i always stay at Causeway Bay. i have a suki guest house there.

6. jetan

why not try here Jetvan Traveller's House the rates are cheaper and just walking distance from SOGO.

7. raypin

mmm......wow, it is just too far and it is not even within walking distance of any MTR station. Unless you have things to do in that area, it is not worth staying there just to save 4K php.

8. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

How are the room sizes?

9. GTdiver

GTdiver Member

I wouldn't go for this hotel if it's no where close any MTR station. This will just eat up all your time in Hong Kong.

There are a lot of travel inns near the Jordan station that are a lot more affodarble, or you can just try travelmob or airbnb. Never get a hotel far from the station, unless as mentioned you have business in the area.

Wanchai area is usually more affordable than tst and central.

10. kristianne

kristianne Member

Stayed at Golden Crown (they have a website where you can reserve) last dec 2k14, occupied two rooms....not your typical HOTEL type of room, tickets to Theme parks and travel to macau are discounted, filipina caretaker, near (as in few meters from MRT), along Nathan Road, just oppossite the BUS21 bus stop (coming from HKIA)...

11. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

Thank you for your inputs, I guess the logical thing to do is take one with near the city. Though, I am still thinking about the pricing of the tour package. It seems pricier than other offers, though this is from a family friend's agency. 23k+ for a package comprising of the following

4D/3N
    Roundtrip airfare
    One day Disneyland pass with overnight stay at the Hollywood hotel
    Hotel accomodations
    Roundtrip airport and hotel transfers
    an optional half-day city tour
    + weekend surcharges

:confused:

12. raypin

Mmm.....per pax? If so, it is better/cheaper to just put together your own travel package. I'd advise aganst overnight stay at Disneyland (in or outside). Just buy your one day pass either online or from their kiosk at Hong Kong Station (consult the HK Disney website), then take the Disney line by 8:00 am, just in time for the theme park's opening hour. It closes at 10 pm, giving you enough time to return to the city. The advantages: no luggages to worry about. No double check-in/checkout.

#2252 raypin, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  13. jetan

it's easy to get to from the airport by citybus airport shuttle service. just buy roundtrip bus tickets at the bus terminal.

14. rowinms

rowinms Member

I checked the site and the map, if refering to jetvan, it is close to mtr.

15. GTdiver

GTdiver Member

Nope. Was referring to this one. :)

[​IMG]

16. ExpiredLabel

ExpiredLabel New Member

Hello local forum members. As you see I'm fairly new here and joined as I noticed the member Raypin here has a certain something I'm keen on learning a little more about. You see I'm looking to get a music player in the next little bit and while I had initially thought I had my idea to run with, I stumbled upon the SONY PCM D-100. My hope Raypin is that you might provide me with comparisons/impressions against some other daps I see you have, like the AK240 + iBasso DX100 + Hifiman HM801 as well as the chord hugo.

Additionally if you feel there might be a difference between format playback with flac to wav
    The reason I'm considering it is due to the internal architecture and hoping this translates to a very low noise floor with audio playback. I'll be pairing with kef m200 which due to the EU limiter need a little juice anyways so I figure the amp should be sufficient though I have heard getting a separate amp to run off of is ideal. I was considering something with balanced outputs to get that much more from the PCM. What are your thoughts?

I'm sorry for the extreme off topic but for some reason I'm not capable of sending a PM and I apologize.

Raypin thank you for any sort of anything you can provide I do truly appreciate it.

17. raypin

Ot na ot: mmm...wanted to send a pm but not allowed since you have not reached the threshold (you need to post more). Anyway, in order of preference and performance: ak240/chord hugo > chord hugo/laptop/foobar media player > ak240 > sony pcm d100 > iBasso DX100 > Hifiman hm801. All of them are very capable performers and I treat them equally, depending on the in-ear/headphone being driven and depending on the type of presentation I want at that moment. To fine tune, I also experiment with different cables. I am not familiar with the KEF so I cannot comment. My suggestion if for you to audition, audition, audition to give you a better grasp of which equipment combination works best for your listening preference. The Chord Hugo is a very capable portable amp/dac and it can drive almost any headphone in the market today. Can it drive sensitive iems with little or no noise? Yes it can. As for audio format, I use both flac and wav. No audible difference.

18. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

anyone tried a good recommended Airbnb place in HK? pls a short trip for 4 sometime after chinese new year

19. ExpiredLabel

ExpiredLabel New Member

Raypin thank you very much for your insight. This is HUGE man you have no idea. I've been looking around the net for the longest time and couldn't for the life of me find any impressions in terms of strict audio playback.

I was curious as well, what would you say to the soundstage? details? Sound signature? Warm or cold? Also do you feel it would benefit from an amp or is it fine all by itself?

Thank you very much again man, depending on what more you can provide I feel like I might go through with it.

20. raypin

Mmm......again ot: Chord hugo = balanced, detailed, authoritative, good soundstage. AK240 = same except in the bass region, intimate soundstage. Sony D100 = detailed, airy soundstage, bright. iBasso = weighted sound presentation. Hifiman = warm, musical. For iem use, amp is not needed except in cases when you want to alter the sound.