The Hong Kong thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by morphine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. morphine

morphine Active Member

Any suggestions for affordable hotels in hong kong near disney?

What is the usual rates?

Would I get it cheaper if I get the promos?

Thanks

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

Re: Hotels in Hongkong

its cheaper if you book your flight and hotel yourself.

try http://www.agoda.com/

I used this hotel booking service and its great. There's even live chat support and they'll even call you to confirm reservations. I used my local $ VISA credit card. Don't use peso credit card, 'cause at first I got charged at an exchange rate of 53:1 !

here's an excellent tip: Spend your first day at Disneyland. Plan it on a weekday so there'll be less people. Take the early morning flight in. Disneyland doesn't open till 10 AM. When you arrive at Hong Kong, rather than going all the way to your hotel and back and wasting 2-3 hours plus a lot of energy, take a taxi straight to Disneyland because its already very close to the airport. You can have your luggage delivered straight to your hotel without you. You can have this done at the airport and coordinate with your hotel concierge as well. Costs about HK$150-200 if I remember right. By doing this, you're free to enjoy and watch the fireworks at closing time. You can check in at your hotel when you're done. This is very handy especially if you bring your kids along.

#2 Kenneth, Feb 6, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
    Pupkin likes this.
  3. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hey Morphine!

Instead of a hotel, you might want to consider a hostel.
    The rooms are small, and there's no hotel lobby but it's cheap!
    Think of it as staying in a friend's house in a smallish room.

I'm actually in Hong Kong RIGHT NOW in Dragon Hostel. Paying around P1400 a night for a private room with my own private bathroom. Rates are much cheaper if you use a shared bathroom.

And I have free wi-fi :)

Leo

Pupkin likes this.
  4. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

Our holiday package last December included a 5-night stay at a Wan Chai hotel and a 1-night stay at the Hollywood Disney Hotel. They make arrangements like these nowadays and it's really worth it to stay at least a night at HK Disney.

5. wrkshy

wrkshy Member

hello! i'll be leaving for hk this weekend and be staying at disney hotel for 2 nights with my nephews ages 9 and 14. do you think i would still have time to go to kowloon side?

6. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

HK Disneyland isn't that big. Enchanted Kingdom is a lot bigger. The rides aren't that many, and there will be long queues especially on weekends. Figure you'll have enough of HK Disney in a day.

A bus serves as shuttle between your hotel and the theme park. There's a railway terminal beside the main entrance of Disneyland that can take you to other parts of HK.

7. jagged

jagged Member

I think one day should be more than enough to enjoy Disney. I'd recommend staying in one of the Disney hotels after visiting the park on your first day in HK then move to another hotel somewhere in a shopping district like Tsimshatsui the next day.

Btw, are there new attractions in HK Disney since its launch?

8. morphine

morphine Active Member

So Euro Disney is more bigger than the Hong Kong Disney.

9. CooLes

CooLes Active Member

We stayed at Disney's Hollywood Hotel just last week. They were offering a free upgrade to the Disneyland Hotel since accomodation to the Hollywood Hotel was almost full. But since our room was readily available, we decided to stick with our reservation.

Transportation is not a problem in Disney as there are buses and an MTR station right there. As well as the shuttle bus (with a Disney themed bus wrap) to take you to either Disneyland Hotel or Hollywood Hotel.

@wrkshy: Disneyland closes at 7pm (right after the fireworks) but the souvenir shops are still open. I believe the MTR closes at 2am so you still have time to go to Kowloon side. Next time I bring my family back there will take a stop at Causeway Bay after Disneyland closes at night.

Aside from Disneyland, there's also Ocean Park which is a must-visit theme park in Hong Kong. It will take more than a day to tour that place. Would definitely want to go back there again :)

10. wrkshy

wrkshy Member

thanks for all the inputs guys! i'm planning to swing by kowloon side (syempre shopping ang tita!) :)

11. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Wrkshy, madali lang pumunta from Disneyland to Kowloon/HongKong Side. :)
    Mas matagal pa Makati to Alabang. :)

Leo
    (still in Hong Kong)

12. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

as for those packages with a one night overnight stay in Disneyland (the other nights in a different hotel)...there is one slight inconvenience...we were in one of these packaged tours without the disneyland overnight....but the others who were, had to lug all their luggages in the bus as they switched hotels on the 3rd day. I think you might as well stay in either disneyland or some other hotel for the whole stay to lessen the inconvenience :)

Leo: which hostel is that? can you give me some contact details?

I loved the Prince hotel where we stayed last....but I think a cheaper alternative might also be good as long as it's clean hehe. Does it look uhmm..cheap or does it still look classy? I actually have a free suite on my next visit to Hong Kong at the Prince due to a complaint I made the last time hehe. So guys, don't be afraid to complain! :p

#12 koppee1, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  13. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Koppee, I'm staying at Dragon Hostel. I found it and booked it through Hostelworld.com.
    The website is http://www.dragonhostel.com.

It's a great location. A stone throw away from the Mong Kok Computer Centre, the Ladies Market (which is not just for ladies), the Fu Yuen Market, and the famous Nathan Road. MTR station is very near so you can go wherever quite quickly. You can reach Disneyland in 25 minutes, Causeway Bay in 15 minutes, Tsim Shat Tsui in 10 minutes.

As an idea, I spent P8500 for a FIVE NIGHT STAY... ALL IN.
    Baka isang gabi lang sa Prince Hotel yan. :)
    I have hot water, a smallish but decent room, a library of travel books which you can borrow and bring around with you, and free wifi which I'm using right now to post this message. :)
    They can also help get you a visa to China if you'd like to do that, much cheaper than the airport. You can get Disney tickets from them for HK$295/adult, $210/child.

It's a very small room though, good for two people, medyo tight na for three. You can try asking for a bigger room if madami kayo. It works with our needs kasi we really just go home to sleep and spend most of the time roaming Hong Kong.

Do a google search for it and check out the reviews.

Leo

14. wrkshy

wrkshy Member

ayos! it's my 1st time at hk disney kaya di pa ako familiar. magulo pa rin ba yung mtr directory nila? the last time i was there halos maligaw ako! :p

15. wrkshy

wrkshy Member

thanks leo! very very informative yung website ng dragon hostel! at 8.5k for 5 days?! ang mura!!! :)

16. kate

kate Member

since you're already going to disneyland... might as well visit the tin tian buddha (or is it tian tin?) it's also in Lantau island. i really enjoyed that buddha visit and they have a veggie restaurant too! kaso lang the bus ride going up to the buddha kinda takes long but it's worth the trip! oh wait, i think the cable car going there is already operational. you might want to check that out too!

17. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi Wrkshy, the MTR's easy to figure out naman. Some trains even have the full map inside their subway with lights showing where you are and where you're going.

Go to discoverhongkong.com for travel info. There's a program there that you can download into your PDA that includes the MTR map and locations for shopping and dining.

You might also want to get a Tourist MTR pass where you can use the MTR for unlimited times, worth HKD 50 (around PhP300). Sulit siya if you take more than 2 trips in a day, which you'll do if you travel around a lot.

Ok, we're heading out na. :)

Leo

18. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

thanks for the link on the hostel! I'll be sure to try it sometime :) Cheap is always better haha. As for the ladies market, can we buy ladies? err..

19. neilc

neilc Active Member

Try BP House near Nathan Road.

20. wrkshy

wrkshy Member

cool! thanks a bunch leo! be safe! :)