The Headphones / In-Ear Monitors Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by macxchange, Mar 14, 2007.

1. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

Hi guys. Is the Apple Light-3.5 mm adapter good enough for high res lossless in Apple Music?

2. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

As far as I know, that dongle only supports up to 24-bit 48kHz lossless. You would need a lightning to USB dongle connected to a Hi-Res DAC to be able to do high resolution audio in Apple Music.

jlconferido likes this.
  3. makinao

makinao Active Member

It's a cold and wet afternoon. So I decided to take these out for a spin.

Attached Files:

raypin likes this.
  4. jlconferido

Thanks for your reply. I will stick with my dongle and wait for the for the AM library to be cataloged in hi-res audio then will get one of those DACs. Are Bluetooth DAC/amplifiers good? I am eyeing the iFi hip dac, is this good to buy for lossless noobs like me? Can you recommend a DAC/amp that will not break the bank?

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…for lossless/hi-res lossless, it has to be wired setup, from source to dac to earphone/headphone. Looking at the specs alone, the iFi Hip Dac is very competitive (notable is balanced output with the 4.4mm output). For something much more portable, I am using the Lotoo S1 amp/dac with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It also has 4.4 mm balanced output and comes with the lightning to usb C cable (iOS bundle). I can confirm it works with the iPhone. Order it from Jaben Singapore. SGD 277.00 DHL shipping inclusive.

https://theheadphonelist.com/lotoo-paw-s1-the-swiss-army-a-usb-dac-amp-review/

Lazada and shopee ph Lotoo S1 looks sketchy. Avoid.

#4065 raypin, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    jlconferido likes this.
  6. jlconferido

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely look at it. Thanks again.

7. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

You can try the Xduoo link 2, it supports AM hi-res lossless. Bought it and was surprised at how good it is.
    https://shopee.ph/xDuoo-Link2-DAC-for-mobile-i.2667654.9169283613?position=0

jlconferido likes this.
  8. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

Finally got my "end-game" pair! (even though I am very much aware that end-game doesn't exist :ROFLMAO:)

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, with proper PEQ'ing (c/o the RME ADI-2), these can be neutral-to-warmish cans (but not HD650-levels-of-warmth). I also couldn't hear the dreaded 6kHz peak (thanks to PEQ); they also don't sound boxed-in or resonant (that's why I'm still contemplating whether to buy the official SDR mod kit; maybe i'll have to give them a few more weeks of listen time).

I'm 12 years late to the party, but what a journey it has been. I can now "retire" from the hobby and call it a day (until the ears itch again for the next upgrade, but I hope that day doesn't come since my wallet is already complaining :cry:).

greta87, max_Moon, gaol and 1 other person like this.
  9. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

Is it as comfy as it's reputed to be?

I've been thinking of joining the HD8XX drop for months now but can't bring myself to pull the trigger. :p

10. raypin

Mm…the HD 800S is better.

jai bautista likes this.
  11. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

Since my head is relatively larger than my height (hahahaha), yes, they are very comfy (i can wear them for 2+ hours straight without having to adjust or take them off). They're quite light, plus the weight is evenly distributed (this, despite the headband and the earpads being very thin and essentially non-existent compared to other headphone brands/models at this price point).

Re: the HD 8XX, even though I haven't heard them, I am with @raypin on this: the FR graphs suggest that the HD 800S may sound better than the HD 8XX. If you want to save money but you don't want to pay Sennheiser's asking price for the HD 800S, I would highly encourage you to look for 2nd hand HD 800 units (since they're already discontinued; that said, you can still buy them bnew from Amazon US and other US-based retailers) and mod (SDR kit, ~USD30/pair) and EQ the heck out of them :D

12. raypin

Mm…from my experience, no comfort issue with the 800 family (800, 800S and 820). Supremely comfortable.

13. legato

legato Member