The Headphones / In-Ear Monitors Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by macxchange, Mar 14, 2007.

1. eag

eag Well-Known Member

Sort of OT, but where can you buy a protective case for over-ear headphones?
    Unlike the pricier models, the Sony headphones I bought did not come with a case.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...look for them on eBay or Amazon or Lazada. There are generic/universal hard cases that you can use to store your headphones. Sone function as carrying case as well.

#3962 raypin, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Seems a lot have been using the Jabra Elite/Active 65T for quite awhile here already. How is the battery doing- does it still hold the 5hrs playtime after a year or so? Does it lag re: Video/Audio sync because of the lack of aptx codec? or just in certain apps?
    Are there fake Elites out there? Found a pretty cheap one in Lazada at around P7800 (Active version). Thinking of getting it.

Theres a good one also thats cheaper called JLab Jbuds Air Sport Elite - i might have mixed up the name there. Specs and reviews are pretty good. But these arent available in the local online stores.

4. raypin

Mm...avoid Lazada or any online unless it says official store. Get it from reputable, authorized dealers like Egghead Audiohub. Strongly recommend an audition first before deciding.

#3964 raypin, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    shaft likes this.
  5. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

Dropping by to share my latest buy! (Gee, I think I have a serious case of GAS! :ROFLMAO:)

[​IMG]

Before trying them, I had very low expectations. While I am a big Sony fan (apart from the NW-WM1A and the just-purchased WF-1000XM3, I also have the MDR-Z7M2, MDR-1AM2, MDR-1000X, WH-1000XM3, MDR-CD900ST, MDR-SA3000, and MDR-EX800ST; I once had the MDR-1ADAC, MDR-7520, and the PCM-100), I wasn't too high with true wireless IEMs, much less those that don't have aptX and LDAC. But when I wore them, paired them with my iPhone 8 Plus, and fired up some songs via Apple Music...hot d*mn! My jaw literally dropped to the floor!

I kid you not when I say this: I even enjoyed listening to the iPhone 8 Plus + Apple Music + WF-1000XM3 than the NW-WM1A + 8-core SPC cables with 4.4mm plug + CIEMs! Even though Sony advertises these as having 6mm dynamic drivers, they don't sound like a typical DD IEM. They have this space and tranparent/clear sound that is akin to BA-specced IEMs, and yet they retain that characteristic DD bass grunt/growl.

Having listened to lots of IEMs (BA/DD/hybrids) these past years, I am not that easily surprised anymore when demoing IEMs. That's why I had the surprise of my life when I first listened to then: wireless IEMs shouldn't sound this good. But they do. And I honestly don't know how Sony was able to do it.

Sony is indeed back in the (consumer) audio game!!!:cool:

Juice, Ghibli, gaol and 4 others like this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Been using the Jabras for four months now, everyday while I jog-walk which takes around 2-3hrs tops around Greenhills to QC. It has held that long so far even when I don’t recharge it with the case, so I am pretty sure it still holds itself up to 5hrs as advertised. Haven’t experienced any lags but that’s because I use it only with Apple Music and calls and YouTube sometimes.

I don’t know if those Elites selling lower than the 9k-plus I got for mine online are fakes or just dirt cheap, but if they were they shouldn’t be selling that much still. Fake AirPods sell as low as 700 to 1000 pesos in Virra Mall so I think that’s on the clear.

shaft likes this.
  7. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Been eyeing the WF-1000XM3 since I have been using WH-1000XM2 Headphones, I have been pleased especially on long haul flights . However I miss the portability for domestic flight and commutes in which the airpods are great sans the noise canceling. I think this would be a great pair . What's your initial impression.

8. jai bautista

Fairly balanced sound. Midrange are somehow not too recessed (and you can actually argue that it's relatively forward). I find the treble on the smooth side without sounding too laid back; just enough sparkle to keep matters interesting. The bass, it's still the Sony kind but it does not bleed too much into the mids and highs. Soundstage-wise, it's remarkably deep and wide for an IEM (I rarely hear IEMs with exceptional soundstage). 3-D imaging is holographic. As mentioned earlier, its transparent/clear sound is reminiscent of a balanced armature (BA)-specced IEM.

Overall, for its SRP (~Php13k), it's a steal.

ramil and gaol like this.
  9. raypin

10. jologs

jologs Active Member

How’s the ANC on those?

11. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

So I just got some cheap noise-cancelling in-ears from Amazon on a whim. I haven't been using these type of headphones in a while so I can't remember if I should feel like i am in outer space (or in a spaceship) when I am wearing these? Also, i hear my steps and every other physical move i make. Am i wearing them right??

12. raypin

Mm...wear bunny slippers :p. That’s what you get when you buy cheap earphones. Kidding...

Check and fit better eartips for better sound isolation.

#3972 raypin, Aug 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 9:56 PM
  13. jai bautista

A tad less effective compared to its headphone cousin, the WH-1000XM3 (which I also have). But if you compare the sound of the two, the WF comes out as clearer/more balanced (the WH sounds muddy/slow).

Congrats! :D

14. raypin

Mm...nasa Germany pa. Sept Christmas. :LOL:

#3974 raypin, Aug 17, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    jai bautista likes this.
  15. jai bautista

[​IMG]

I kid you not when I say this: the listening enjoyment I get from the WF-1000XM3 has made me reconsider all the fuss about wired IEMs.

This is not to say that the utility of using wired IEMs has entirely diminished: in terms of pure sonic performance, my two CIEMs (in the middle) and my Lyra 2 still trump the WF-1000XM3. But once you consider the freedom of movement and convenience you get from not having to deal with wires sticking from your ears, as well as their relatively strong sonic performance (from my entirely subjective estimate, they achieve 85%-90% of the sound of my wired IEMs), the WF-1000XM3s are among the better IEM releases in recent memory. I am still floored by how clear/transparent/fun/big they sound, considering that sub-USD300 IEMs, much less DD TWS IEMs, shouldn't sound this good.

Will I completely abandon my wired IEMs? I don't think so.

But will my WF-1000XM3s get a lot more listening time? Hell yeah.

P.S. I like having these thought exercises every now and then, so here goes my latest hypothetical: if there is only ONE audio item that I am able/allowed to keep among my current collection, it would be the Sony WF-1000XM3 (my previous answer to this question: my Sony MDR-CD900ST Cartonode Engineering CE-02 headphones). They're that ground-breaking/great sounding.

#3975 jai bautista, Aug 17, 2019 at 11:33 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 11:40 PM
    kyubi, ramil, quicksilver and 3 others like this.
  16. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

How does it compare with Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless?

17. jai bautista

The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, based on my recollection of its sound when I demoed it in Zeppelin SG a few months back, sounds more exciting/hi-fi. But I've read from multiple websites that it has connection/battery problems; its battery life is also something that prevented me from pulling the trigger on them (I kid you not when I say I was this close to giving my credit card to the store clerk after demoing them; they're that good sounding).

That said, when I look at the entire package, the WF-1000XM3s get my vote because of the following: (i) longer battery life; (ii) better ergonomics (at least to my ears); (iii) ease of pairing and connection stability; (iv) sound preference (I like sound delivered to me in a smooth/non-fatiguing manner; the Sennheisers, being brighter sounding, will be more fatiguing to the ears the longer I use them); (v) active noise cancelling (IIRC, the Sennheisers don't have ANC and rely on passive noise isolation); and (vi) price.

The lack of aptX shouldn't discourage you from considering the WFs: despite "only having" SBC and AAC, they sure sound great (I don't know how Sony is doing it, but they sure do employ some form of black voodoo magic to pull that feat).

gaol and vic2rp like this.
  18. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The firmware update fixed the connection problem. I can see the problem with the 4hour battery and case's 8 hour battery. It would be a problem for those who will use them for more than 4 hours straight. I haven't had a problem though, since I use them less than 4 hours and put them back in the case where it autromaticaly charges. I actually don't notice that I need to constantly charge them because of how I use them. On the other hand, my son who also has them uses it for more than 4 hours and he has to put it back in the case. We would have gone for the BO, but the sound was short compared to the Sen. There seems to be a sacrifice for each manufacturer.

jai bautista and gaol like this.
  19. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Thanks . I went to the Sony store unfortunatley they are our of stock. They have like a page and 1/2 waitlist. Might pick it up on a duty-free shop soon.