The Headphones / In-Ear Monitors Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by macxchange, Mar 14, 2007.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...carrying the instrument of mass destruction.....deliriously happy right now:

FD80CB3F-087A-41AC-917D-BB61E706E2CC.jpeg

shootertwist, kyubi, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Let us see what IMD you got there in that case ;)

Speaking of true wireless earbuds, Jabra rep sent me their Elite 65t for consumer evaluation and as a consumer, I might just get this thing off the cuff. Better sounding and better fit than the AirPods but that’s just me...

They’re sending me the black-and-gold 65t which i actually detest but the all black is, as always, out of stock.
    EDC843B8-9557-44BD-BBFD-366947D599A9.jpeg

leninmac and raypin like this.
  3. raypin

Mm....okie. :LOL: The biggest Walkman ever created, the DMP Z1:

80CE0C8A-2EE5-45B6-B2BA-9129BE5F7ACF.jpeg

Why instrument of mass destruction? Because it destroys every DAP (Digital Audio Player) on the planet in terms of, well, the one thing that matters the most: audio fidelity. It can drive just about any headphone, except the Hifiman Susvara. I auditioned this last year. Last night, my newest baby arrived. And it is iOS friendly.

It easily beat my Astell & Kern AK 380 cu. It won the war from the first musical note. And it will win all future wars. Like Ender’s Game.

Auditioned the newest TOTL Astells: SP 1000 (stainless steel and copper) and SP 1000M. No contest.

Testing audio streaming Tidal from my iPad Pro 11 and iPhone Xs Max. Flawless.

#3883 raypin, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    emsy, kyubi, Sunil_K and 3 others like this.
  4. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

@raypin

Congratulations on your new toy! :D

Based on pure audio performance, how does it stack against the Chord DAVE?

5. raypin

Mm...taking the slow boat to China when comparing equipment. Although, The DAVE has an ace up its sleeve: the M Scaler of the Chord Blu Mk II. I expect the differences to be more subtle than night and day.

I’m trying to make sense of my Flac and Wav collection and which album goes to the DMP Z1 memory. And My stack of 46 new CDs that needs to be ripped to Wav.

Right now, I have not even tried the balanced output of the DMP (4.4 mm Pentaconn/Sony). Unbalanced muna. Lol! Listening to bluetooth streaming muna since Tidal is not built-in so I need my iOS devices for that. I wish iOS will eventually support high bit-rate bluetooth like LDAC or AptX and AptX HD. No joy. AAC lang muna.

As it is, the DMP is one hell of a player and headphone DAC and amplifier rolled into one. Sony magic at its best.

You know what I look for in TOTL players or headphones? The bass. High-definition bass. Freakishly detailed and highly resolved bass. Most TOTL players can do really good highs and mids. Achilles heel is the bass. It ruins it for me.

jai bautista likes this.
  6. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

I've tried my then-K812 with the pre-production DMP-Z1 late last year. Even when driven through the unbalanced headphone out, I thought that was the best sounding K812 listening experience I had. Highly impactful bass, great midrange transparency, and those crystal clear highs that don't go overboard. Whatever genre I threw to the DMP-Z1, it played with grace and aplomb. A truly summit-fi listening experience! :D

Very much agree on bass reproduction. It's what separates the wheat from the chaff. You'd easily know you're hearing world-class bass reproduction when you just get lost in the mix and bop your head in a carefree manner, the immediate environment be damned. :p

raypin likes this.
  7. raypin

Mm....the production model of the DMP Z1 sounds significantly better than the pre-production. I think we auditioned the Tentative model at Egghead. :D

The AKG K812 was supposed to be part of my collection 3 years ago (auditioned it once in HK). Then Innerfidelity trashed it with a brief review. So, that ended my romance with the 812. :p

#3887 raypin, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    kyubi and jai bautista like this.
  8. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

Best wired headphones for 1-2k? Bought the Soundmagic p11s before at egghead and was quite satisfied with the sound, but the leather has already started peeling. Do I buy this again?

Mainly used with mobile phones for watching Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify.

Are these ok?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3888 Cmmig, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  9. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

I have the active version sir Elite 65t active and indeed better than airpods in terms of sq. Fit wise i could also use it on commutes and does not fall off, though in fairness to airpods that one also didnt fall off when i used it for several months. But sq wise the elite 65t definitely wins out... looking forward to the sennheiser momentum true wireless, hope local stocks will be available soon

10. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Heads up to those based in Singapore. Jabra is selling 2 Jabra 65t Elites (the non Active variant) for just SGD428.

https://www.headphones.sg/2-x-jabra-elite-65t-gv-gold-class-valentines-day-bundle/