The Headphones / In-Ear Monitors Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by macxchange, Mar 14, 2007.

1. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...a set comes with set of small, medium and large. It is standard packaging to all eartips manufacturers for single SKU. Besides, the guide tube of the iSine series is larger than the normal "earhole" but it is not designed to be inserted deep, just enough to seal it (semi-open design since the iSine is open-backed so seal is not crucial, you still hear the bass or low frequencies).

That is reflected in the product pics: the difference in size between the small, medium and large is minimal.

3. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Knowledge Zenith ZS5. Quad drivers makes good sound separation possible in a wallet friendly price

raypin likes this.
  4. vrl29

vrl29 Member

Bose SoundSport Wireless. Very comfortable in the ear...

5. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Any recommendation for a mid-priced to cheap bluetooth sport headphone?

Not really inclined to spend too much on these as I’ll just be using it in the gym while running. Something that will churn out good enough audio quality.

As an alternative, I’m also thinking of getting a bluetooth adapter and connecting it to a wired sport headphone. Will this give better audio quality versus a bluetooth headset?

Thanks!

6. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

[​IMG]

Got this 2 weeks ago - and remembered that my first HP a few years back, was actually a black ATH-M50. Note to self: Don't sell.

Also, I was sorely tempted to get either the Bose QC35 or the Sony 1000X or X2 when I was in Sydney. I especially liked the feature of the Sony where you put your hand over the earphone and the noise-cancelling will stop.

#3706 tonedeaf, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Where on earth can you point me towards getting a Fiio @raypin?

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Egghead at 6/F East Wing of Shangri-la Plaza, Rex. Look for Rico Cheng. Tell him @raypin sent you. (no need to duck, hehe!)

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  9. raypin

Mm...lots of DAPs at Egghead, not just Fiio. Sony, Astell, Hidiz, Onkyo, iBasso, Shanling, Cowon etc. Friendly staff.......suggest you allocate a couple of unhurried hours to audition not just DAPs but headphones and in-ears. They also carry vinyl stuff which is right up your alley.

#3709 raypin, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    hitme64 likes this.
  10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Great! So far my ears are all over the Bose QC35, sentimental fool that I am...

raypin likes this.
  11. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

What's a good starter desktop amp for use with HPs? And what source does one use with it? laptop? phone? DAP?

12. raypin

mm...depends on your headphone. Some amps works better with dynamic headphones, some with planer magnetic. Consider also what your "type" is in terms of sound output. Desktop amp is either solid state (tends to be analytical and cold) or tube-based (smooth and warm). What I am saying is there is no correct answer until you've auditioned what is available right now. You need to bring your headphone or headphones to the shop and actually pair it with different amplifiers to see which works best for you. My advice is to go to Egghead Audiohub to audition which amp works best for you. Also it depends on your headphone. Is it low impedance/easy to drive? Does it scale up in performance when partnered with a suitably powerful headphone amp? Planer magnetics, like those from Audeze, perform better with the use of a headphone amp.

As for source, I think it is best to pair it with your laptop since it is a desktop amp that you are looking at. More convenient, specially if you have a music service subscription like tidal or spotify or apple music.

You need not overspend. Try The Element from JDS LABS.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/

Also, try iFi brand (from the U.K.). They have a reputation for making good quality headphone amps minus the huge price tag.

https://ifi-audio.com/

Schiit Audio - same, but alas it is not locally available.

http://www.schiit.com/home

#3712 raypin, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    rbenzon and tonedeaf like this.
  13. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Not an expert in headphones nor have a lot of experience with good ones but I gambled $60 for this headphones off Amazon.

Cowin E7
    [​IMG]

It has noise-cancelling and requires no wires which fits my 3.5mm-less 7 Plus.

Great sound quality so far, as far as $60 headphones go I guess. It's no Bose QC35 or similar so I would suggest spending more if you want a better quality headphones, but for everyday use in the office (to drown noisy talking officemates in the background) you can't beat this heaphones.

ment likes this.
  14. the_diva

the_diva Member

Ack. Visited Pismo at Eastwood (actually went to ShangriLa and found out they haven’t updated their website and that branch closed down years ago) and their people there are the RUDEST. They actually went as far as shooing me away. They don’t do service unless the item was purchased from them. Previously went to Egghead, but they couldn’t service the unit.

Now back to square one.

15. raypin

Mm..that’s unfortunate. Your last recourse is to communicate with the manufacturer and send your hp via postal service.

the_diva likes this.
  16. the_diva

the_diva Member

Yeah. Most likely that's what's going to happen. Nearest Parrot Service Center is Singapore. Sheesh. Oh well. Thanks guys!

17. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I will check out the first 2 when I visit egghead to audition the X5.

I am also intrigued. And the offer is only until tomorrow. Still worth buying? Or do I just save up for the Focal Elear? Or whatever other next level HP?

18. raypin

Mm..Elear is worth auditioning. I’d heartily recommend the Utopia as an end-game headphone. You might consider the new Focal Clear, which is the in-between model that separates the Utopia and the Elear.

tonedeaf likes this.
  19. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sent you a PM. I know someone who is selling one. ;)

tonedeaf likes this.
  20. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

So....I got the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 6XX. I am weak hahaha.

Also, NAD finally pointed me to a supplier of the NAD Viso HP 50's earpads. So I'm also getting that back.

Which means I have 2 closed HPs (NAD and ATH-M50X) and two open HPs (HD 6XX and AKG Q701).

As a result, I've decided to have a nice set-up in the office. To this end, questions:

1. Option A is to go desktop amp+dac combo, with a laptop/phone as the source. I will check out the JDS labs Element and iFi recommended here..
    2. Option B is to buy a DAP (Fiio X3 or X5) in the hopes that it will be enough to power my HPs (with the HD 6XX being the most power hungry). No amp in the meantime.

Thoughts?