The Headphones / In-Ear Monitors Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by macxchange, Mar 14, 2007.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm........check Egghead's price and availability first then compare it with prices in Singapore stores. From experience, Egghead is cheaper than Hong Kong headfi shops.

2. Amaru

Amaru Member

Its 10,999 in Egghead, cash around 9,899

3. ruprup

ruprup Member

Jaybird BlueBuds X

4. raypin

mmm.....I wish I had 3 pair of ears:

WP_20160304_00_49_57_Pro [40354571].jpg

jai bautista, ronnel0918 and ikitub like this.
  5. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

still sticking this this...
    [​IMG]

jai bautista likes this.
  6. raypin

mmm....ayaw mo mag-upgrade to Audeze LCD 4? lol! Innerfidelity (Tyll) just dropped all Audezes from his headphone Wall of Fame. Audeze LCD X and LCD 3F were retired from the list (but I'm keeping both in my small collection) and were replaced by the white-hot Mr. Speakers The Ether (Open) and my absolute top favorite right now, the Hifiman HE 1000.

#3166 raypin, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  7. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

@Amaru

Last time I visited Singapore (Jan 2016), I dropped by Stereo SG - Plaza Singapura. They have a Filipino staff member there, just forgot his name. Sorry :p

BTW, here's their pricing of the ATH-M50x: http://www.stereo.com.sg/shop/headphones/full-size/audio-technica-ath-m50x.html

If SGD1=Php33.50, it'll cost you ~7,600. Much, much cheaper than what you'll pay here. That said, if the unit will encounter a problem during the warranty period, you will have to send back the ATH-M50x to SG for RMA.

Re: ATH-M50x sound, I have an ATH-M50 (the "older" brother of the M50x, minus the removable cable). You'll have to cross your fingers that AT has already figured out the "flaking leather headband problem" since mine has degraded so much that it really looks ungainly. As for the sound, it has a very V-shaped sound signature (vocals appear to be at the back of music instruments, unless that instrument plays along the midrange). The high frequencies also sound sibilant (to my ears). If you prefer a balanced sound signature or you want your vocals to take center stage or you like your high frequencies to be a bit relaxed, this isn't the headphone for you. At its SG SRP, though, it can't be easily beaten. I couldn't think of any headphone that offers the same value-for-money similar to that of the ATH-M50x.

I wouldn't encourage you to get an external DAC/amp for this headphone, though, as the sound really wouldn't change; it's easily driveable even with your smartphone.

Good luck! :)

raypin likes this.
  8. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

the problem with tyll is that we do not seem to hear sound the same. he loves the lcd3 and i hated mine. hated - past tense. most of last year i had the lcd3 and lcdx at the same time... and listen to them both swithcing in between sessions and found myself liking the lcdx more. eventually i sold the lcd3.

i listened to the he1000 and hifiman editon x recently. they were very good. but to me, they were not worth the extra price ill have to shell out even after selling my lcdx and like you commented earlier, i only have one pair of ears, so ill stick to 1 pair of good headphones - for now :)

upgrade to lcd4: see he1000 scenario.

have not tried the mr speakers yet.

in saying all that, i am on the lookout for a pre-loved lcd-xc - bocote wood preferred :D

#3168 redtamayo, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    raypin likes this.
  9. raypin

mmm......OMZ (oh my Zeus):

WP_20160313_17_13_58_Pro [5790047].jpg

ronnel0918 and jai bautista like this.
  10. raypin

mmm......"close, open, close, open, smile na baby" - child abuse from my yaya, complete with pinching! WP_20160316_12_38_31_Pro [136942217].jpg

hitme64 and ronnel0918 like this.
  11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Any feedback for RHA? I just saw some sale items at Astroplus

12. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

Hi, are these models available locally? Where? :)

13. miggyhipolito

miggyhipolito Active Member

Lazada :)

14. Amaru

Amaru Member

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply :)

I was able to test the M50X in the IT Show, they have a good deal, can't remember the amount in SGD but I think in peso its around 7,500 with a free headphone worth 3,000. While I was checking around the show, I was able to test an Urbanite XL, I think they're offering it around 10k in peso, with a free sports earphones worh 5k. tested both headphones using spority in highest quality, same song, and Urbanite XL caught my ears. Built and sound quality the Urbanite is the better choice for me. And yeah, you're right on the flaking leather of the m50x, I see some m50x for sale in HEEP (FB Group) and leather is flaking already, even on the head band.

Now after a week, I bought a Fiio X1 and got a good deal for E11 from a friend :)

15. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

You can also try astrovision if they still have stocks.

16. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

@Amaru

Nice! Congrats on your new Sennheiser Urbanite! :)

There's something special about Sennheiser headphones, especially if you move up the ladder, when it comes to rendering human voice. IMO, they have the most realistic presentation of vocals. When I want to be mesmerized with tracks whose focus is the singer, I just get my HD600, plug them into my trusty desktop amp, and just lose myself in the moment. Haha :)

Re: the ATH-M50/50x's flaking headband problem, I think that can be remedied by replacing the leather with a bespoke one (or you can do it yourself if you know how to sew. Haha). I was supposed to sell my ATH-M50 as my pair haven't found ear time in recent months but when I used it a couple of weeks back with my Chord Mojo, I realized what I would be missing had I let go of it. For now, it remains with my rather modest HP collection. :)

raypin likes this.
  17. Paeng

Paeng Member

Anybody here have been using Sony MDR-10RNC?
    What's your verdict? Thank you.

18. Amaru

Amaru Member

Too bad I don't sew anymore LOL.

I'm quite happy with my purchase, though I only use it at home, when I'm in the office or travelling I usually use my Xiaomi Pistons v2 :) paired it with Fiio X1 and e12amp :) Sweet music :D

19. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

just got this yesterday:

[​IMG]

im loving how the M50x makes my music collection "come alive". my daughter, listening to Sussie Q by CCR, added that now she finally understands why the electric guitar is called such.

RaijinGrey, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  20. TheParameter

TheParameter Member

I'm using Razer Tiamat 7.1 . Anyone here knows where to buy replacement ear cushions?