The 'Going to Baguio' Thread (merged)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by macuser101, May 2, 2006.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have no idea why people would want to take their selfies at sunrise in Mine’s View Park (n) The road to MVP is always filled with cars and people are getting off and walking all the way to the edge of this side of Baguio. It’s one big parking lot from sunrise to sunset.

On the other hand, there were only about ten of us visiting Bencab’s Museum and Cafe. The view is better here and the art is overwhelming. There’s even a hiking trail but who would want to replace art and sculpture with tall trees and muddy tracks?

2. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

only few tourists visit BenCab indeed. it is one of the must go places in Baguio especially if you are a first timer.

raze19 and hitme64 like this.
  3. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

A year or so ago, the Bencab Museum always seemed to have multiple vans of visitors. Not so many people visit it anymore lately? That’s too bad. I think Mine’s View also rides the popularity of Good Shepherd. If they’re going to buy stuff at Good Shepherd anyway, they’ll stop at Mine’s View.

catalysmic and hitme64 like this.
  4. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

Mine's View ba?

[​IMG]

after which you shop here buy UBE JAM.

5. hitme64

The ube jam at Good Shepherd is not like it used to be compared to previous decades. Maybe because ube is now harder to harvest because of dwindling stocks. I still have a jar of ube in my fridge from 2016 and it’s like a science experiment with all the other colors of it now. Someone just opened it and dipped a finger there to taste it and closed it again and that was it’s shortest life. I still go for the strawberry jam if in season and buy them at BSU rather than the Market or Mine’s View.

My last visit to BenCab was April last year and fortunately the Master was around. So I got one of those lithograph posters at the store and asked him to sign it. He asked why I would want a poster rather than a piece of his art instead. I said it was expensive and he told me to get instead the Swatch Sabel watch. That’s what he signed instead. My wife wears the Sabel now but lately had kept it in favor of the AW3. Nice old chap, a little on the cranky side, but a great painter artist.

raypin likes this.
  6. reflex

reflex Member

Wifey booked a short trip over the next few days for our wedding anniversary. Googling later to find 'not-your-usual-Baguio' attractions/dining spots. Been there several times already, but the last one was several years ago. Hoping to find hidden jewels for our latest jaunt.

7. catalysmic

catalysmic Well-Known Member

And the smelly St Bernard and Pink Horse Photo OPs =P

8. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

I make it a point to visit my aging uncle in Baguio during Christmas season. In his late 80's, he is even healthier than most of my relatives I know of. Thanks to the high climb from his nook to the cathedral for his daily mass.

Typically, I'd leave Vigan in the early morning hours and reach the Pines City at around 9 or 10am. But with a prior trip the night before, I decided to take the bus departing at 6am to San Fernando and just hop to connecting bus to Baguio there. Bad idea.

The usual 4-hour Philippine Rabbit trip to Baguio in the 80's-90's has now become a 6-7-hour ride. Blame it to palengke days or pretty much the daytime traffic caused by trikes along the towns and cities on the way. We even had to switch buses in Irisan due to some technical glitch. And because it was already approaching lunch, I boarded the next bus that allowed me to take the conductor’s seat instead of waiting and queueing for the next bus that guarantees a confirmed seat.

Alighting at the bus terminal, I went straight to SM where we initially agreed to meet for lunch. The car park is now finished so access from the bus terminal along Gov. Pack Road is a piece of cake.

With almost an hour of waiting for a table and another hour for food to arrive, it's absolutely wiser to pick another location to feed ourselves. From now on, no more dining at SM Baguio.

We had a good chat and I could see his delight after not seeing me for 2 years. He even said I have already forgotten him. It was bitter-sweet.

I went for Sunday mass after lunch as the cathedral was just a stone-throw away. The hourly mass is nifty.

Then, time for palengke. I descended along Session Road with the ascending lane closed for some street / chalk art. It was fun.

I could have also purchased Sizzling Plate's famous Sans Rival but was discouraged because I didn't have an ice container to keep it away from melting and whole after a long trip.

After getting an SMS confirmation that my kin want some veggies for chopsuey, I scanned the stalls with most of the ingredients that I needed. I settled with one (i pick usually those with kind posture and could easily oblige to my tawads) and only got the button mushrooms from another stall. With the Good Shepherd Ube Jam in sight, I didn't hesitate to get some for myself plus a jar of lengua de gato. I hope these stuff could really help the schooling of kids as they claim.

Being a bit chatty using the local language for better bargains, I sought for strawberry recommendations. And voila - manong vendor points at the adjacent stall. I was prepared with the usual option - the sour Benguet berries, BUT, I was told that it was a Japanese variety. Looking at the form and quality, it wasn't so bad. I failed to take good photos and more importantly, to sample-taste. A kilo was sold for only PhP 660. I felt the joy of doing quick forex conversions, telling me that it was just over 10 bucks! I got 2 boxes (worth 200 petots each) and toyed with the idea that I got fooled.

Taxi? They are non-existent unless you walk farther away from where I originally would have flagged one. I surrendered to the idea of walking towards SLU from palengke because not only there's a bunch of other riders waiting along the road, the traffic was also moving at a snail's pace. But I got lucky when I spotted one, stuck a dash away from the bigasan area. The driver was hesitant but after affirming that my destination is near SM, he took me in. I learned that the driver is on his way to meet the previous passenger at the mall, who left a huuuuuge backpack, the type usually carried by foreign tourists. This reasserts that Baguio cab drivers are the country's pride.

I gave the driver something he would like to receive because I couldn't imagine myself lifting a heavy box with an uphill climb.

But I also have to pay for the price of the whole trip: bronchial asthma. with the cab having open windows, the high concentration of toxic pollutants in every breath was like slapping my lungs with the hands of death. The feeling wasn’t even stuffy. It was pure evil. I should have covered my nose with hankies but decided to chat with the driver like we’re good friends until I reached my drop-off point. This is one of the moments when I fervently wished that I got my own air-conditioned bagon. And the city doesn’t have the usual December chills too, which means, I didn’t get to wear my jacket at all.

Being the usual meticulous about my trips, I completely didn’t think about searching for bus schedules from the mountain. But quickly checking with the driver nearby, whose bus was departing shortly back to Vigan, he asked if I got a lot of stuff and didn’t have any companion. And again, I was offered with the conductor’s seat, which was even closer to the windshield vs the pilot seat. Ah, this is the best thing about being a solo traveler especially during the peak season.

We left Baguio at 5:30 and reached Vigan at 10pm. Not so bad.

It was like a rollercoaster ride. Literally. Except that the bus driver and conductor would laugh at me when freaking out because of almost hitting an idiot who doesn't mind being whacked by a raging bus or when overtaking with fast-approaching trucks on the left lane. All this after sundown.

If you choose to visit Baguio without being bothered by the traffic and things like this, limit your destinations to the city central area only: SM, palengke, cathedral, session road, burnham park and nearby areas. Forget about taking cabs. It’s still a doable destination for those without private wheels.

The following morning, I handed a piece of strawberry to my father because I wanted to check his raw facial reaction.

He claimed that it wasn’t the sour La Trinidad kind. And it felt like he was also having a bite of my strawberry that I had in Tsukiji.

Next time, with the Japanese Strawberry in mind, you know what to do in Baguio.

catalysmic, hitme64, Dekra and 2 others like this.
  9. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Last minute spur of the moment decision. It was difficult to find a place to stay. Fully booked lahat wth. Gonna leave 3am hopefully get there breakfast time. Is the TPLEX still the way to go there now? Backreading this thread and nice tip, gonna checkout the Bencab Museum.

hitme64 likes this.
  10. hitme64

Even AirBnB in Baguio has no bookings available for the weekend so we’re actually stuck in Bolinao, Pangasinan doing the beaches and eating fish. Before we turned for Tarlac yesterday we saw around 10-12 buses full of people heading for Baguio, probably a class or BPO excursion of sorts. Each bus carries 75 passengers so that’s 750-800 additional breathing humans sucking the air out of Baguio. Right decision not to proceed there.

shaft and raypin like this.
  11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....sarap.

43A6A53A-A33A-4134-A245-EAC5E567BB3A.jpeg

Look at Thursday next week.

shaft and Sir iAco like this.
  12. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

here in Baguio. TPLEX Rosario exit closed since Jan 22. Along Kennon (about 10kms from Loakan), some major slope protection work stretching 1.5km, adding to travel time.

E9FFF19E-E2EF-4149-8B2B-94A8D5DE782C.jpeg

for many years now, we spend majority of our time here in CJH, avoiding going out except some times when eating.

best part:

1A0CD157-8800-4A5C-9FF3-2CC6136D18C7.jpeg

sarap mag kape and vizco’s strawberry shortcake!

35B99A55-FD44-4D37-9CD8-5BFBD5F32E0C.jpeg

#632 Theus, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    shaft, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  13. hitme64

Homeward bound...
    C1F1A61A-1E8C-4215-9E0C-67997EA121BB.jpeg
    Akyat madaling araw, uwe na agad pagkatapos para iwas trapiko.

eag and raypin like this.
  14. raypin

Mm....last segment of TPLEX, exit Rosario is slated to open late this month.

wem272 and Theus like this.
  15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Sad news.

one of our favorite hangouts in Baguio :(

16. raypin

mm...branch 2 of Cafe by the ruins also shutting down.

Theus likes this.
  17. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Planning to head up Baguio w the fam this Feb 2021. Heard a lot of closed go to cafes / restaurants. Was hoping to get info re: still open good hangouts to chill.

18. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

IMO, roads are important to improve traffic and safety of motorists.

However, do we really have to cut the trees? Transferring the trees isn't that hard.

In Baguio, trees give way to road projects | Inquirer

ericb, catalysmic and raypin like this.
  19. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

^ I hear pine wood is lucrative so I guess it's a good opportunity for some enterprising individuals/groups in the government.

20. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

The Baguio LGU recently changed its rules. Children below 15, and seniors above 65 are currently not allowed entry into Baguio.

Theus likes this.