The first iPhone: Six Years since release

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by LeoCastillo, Jun 30, 2013.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

It's been six years since the iPhone was released to the public on June 29, 2007.
    Here's an article commemorating the event.

Where were you on iPhone launch day six years ago? | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

I remember I arrived in the US a few days after the launch and saw it in the Apple Store. I expected something bigger, very shocked to see the size and the quality of the screen.

I didn't buy one, because back then it was still locked to AT&T (and it was out of stock anyway). That didn't last long as many guys like geohotz and our local wizard Dubeditions was able to figure out how to make it work.

I decided to get one finally (a refurb model) and really loved it. I even posted unboxing pics!
    http://www.philmug.ph/forum/f70/so-how-does-refurb-iphone-look-like-unboxing-pics-25184/

Since then I've used nothing but iPhones. Amazing product, it has come a long way.

So what about you? Do you have a story about the original iPhone?

Leo

(image c/o The Original iPhone)

#1 LeoCastillo, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. splukutum

splukutum Active Member

got mine last sept 2008 then switched to blackberry (dec 2011) then switched back to iphone 5 last april.

i still use it as my alarm clock hehe.

[​IMG]

3. pelican

pelican Member

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......it was THE cellphone to get. In my case, it was a grey market AT&T model (vendor located at Madison St., Greenhills). I had it jailbroken (with no guarantee that it won't be bricked). I forgot the price but it was expensive at that time. It didn't matter. It was a joy to hold and use (next only to the original MacBook Air).

5. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

reminiscing, got the first iphone last 25 March 2008 (also the time i joined philmug) since then i never look back on other brands. still alive and kicking and been using by my nephew, eventhough the battery wont last for a half day :p

6. Marianne

Marianne Member

I remember choosing between iphone and samsung omnia (windows). I picked omnia. What a mistake that was. Hehehe imagine all that i've missed out til i finally converted to ios in 2010.

7. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

I got the first iPhone from a mugger as soon as the jailbreak and unlock for it to work in the PH became available. :D It is currently with my sister... which she got from me in almost mint condition...

And like Leo, I have been exclusively using iPhones since then (iPhone 1st gen > 3GS > 4 > 5).

8. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

My first one was a 4GB model. I remember trading my SE K850i (plus 5K cash) for it in 2008, and I instantly fell in love with it. To think just two months earlier I was in Bangkok and the 8GB model was being sold for 40K Baht.

Unfortunately, I had to sell it in 2009, but in 2011, I had the chance to own one again. It was smooth and dentless. But now it's not. :p

I've had all 6 models of the iPhone, but the amazing thing is, I still have THE original iPhone, a.k.a the Classic iPhone.

And here it is...

[​IMG]

And yeah, it's a working iPhone Anyone know where to have it "restored"?

9. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

My first iphone was the 3g. Since then i have all the iterations. Same with my children. We never use another brand since we started using the iphone.

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Thousands of posts later, I still haven't posted a thing in our Marketplace. Probably explains why I still have these. :D

[​IMG]

From left to right: First iPhone model (AT&T); first Globe iPhone model (3G from the Globe iPhone launch party in 2008); and judging by the  logo of the "iPhone" on the right, it is a fake iPhone, which I bought in Beijing just so I can have something to blog about. It's "iPhone outside", but Nokia instead. WTF?! :D

Skipped the 3s, sold my iPhone 4 to my brother, on 4s now, and bought a 5 from TS Leo, for my ex-girlfriend. :D

11. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

I got mine in December of 2007 from a seller in Power Plant Mall. It was running iOS 1.0.1 with a paper insert specifically instructing the user not to update to 1.0.2. A few Terminal commands later, I was able to update and keep my unlock and JB.

I skipped the iPhone 3G. Got my 3GS from Globe then factory unlocked 4, 4S and 5.

12. right_stuff

right_stuff Member

Got my iPhone from my sister who's about to bring it to Greenhills for a trade-in. Gave her my simple Sony ericsson phone plus 10 grand. Not bad for my first iPhone. I still have it with me and I think it still looks pretty. :)[​IMG]

Some other items I keep with the original iPhone. :) [​IMG]

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

@jai: your original iphone is a lot like you—abused, scarred, but can still be *used*. :p

14. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

some philmuggers--those with the first iphones--had a meeting in makati on sept. 1, 2007 to celebrate the event and share our experiences with our iphones. here we were then, with our brand-new iphones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics of that meeting here:

First PhilMUG iPhone users meet - a set on Flickr

for those of us who think that today's iphone prices are too steep, take note that we had to pay 45K for our 8-gig models, plus as much as 9K to unlock them via a sim card hack ("jailbreaking" wasn't even an apple-related word then).

15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^the original pinoy jailbreakers. :D

globe's 3g put dubedition out of business. ;)

16. drdom

drdom Member

Got my classic iPhone in '07, a couple of months after its release in the US. There was absolutely no way I was going to pass up on something touted as the "jesus" phone back then.

Got it at a shop somewhere in Greenhills and it cost an arm and a leg! There was also a lengthy discussion with the seller about certain things, like jailbreaking, bricking and future updates and what not to do. All of which I didn't really understand and I was just raring to go and use my new phone.

Since then, I've used nothing else but an iPhone as my primary phone. I've had Blackberries and recently Androids as secondary phones. But really, nothing beats the iPhone :)

17. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Well, chicks dig scars. And my iPhone's so experienced you guys might need a SIM "adapter". Roland should get this.

18. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Got my very first iPhone which is a refurbed around 3 months after the US lunch from apple store. Still an AT&T locked and need to unlock jailbreak it right away. The joy i had and the pain to get it was all worth it. ITS REVOLUTIONARY indeed! Too bad it got stolen/snatched away from my pocket in Buendia.

19. Eleventh

Eleventh Member

I got my original iPhone 2 months after release and unlocked it via terminal :) and skipped the 3G variations and continued to 4, 4S and now 5. I hand over my original iPhone to my nephew who was graduating back in 2010, but unfortunately it was snatched a month later. iOS is still the best experience to me.

20. CarloCPP

CarloCPP Member

Oh wow. I got my original iphone back in 2008. It's still working and lovin' it.