The driving-across-the-country thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by p.pipster, Apr 27, 2016.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...IMO risky to do land trip. Sa mga pantalan and barko, the risk is already high for covid. So unless it is absolutely essential, I would forego the trip.

Decades ago, I made it as far as Tacloban after crossing from Matnog port to San Isidro crossing in Northern Samar. Samar drive was scary because I did it at night. I stayed in Catbalogan for a day then drove to Tacloban the following day. From there, it is off to Southern Leyte to Surigao port for the Mindanao sea crossing.

Also, plan ahead for the checkpoints re: permits and quarantine requirements if applicable.

hitme64 likes this.
  2. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Just to echo sir @raypin and @hitme64, unless necessary i would not travel in these times of uncertainty. But if you need to travel to Davao by land, just make sure the RORO times are noted so that you don't need to wait a long time at port. Also, the travel dates need to be looked at for weather - particularly the Matnog crossing to Leyte - the lines here can be super long if there's inclement weather/ typhoon and travel is suspended. Good luck!

Disclaimer: Have not tried this land trip from Luzon - Mindanao but familiar with the logistics of it due to work.

If you're not in a hurry and not allergic, then eat the best crabs (IMO) which are from Surigao. The eastern seaboard of our country is poor but have the freshest catch - cheap and delicious.

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  3. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Now here's an old thread. Haay.

We didn't get to do the Cebu-Baguio-Cebu trip. Life had other plans for us.

We, however, are driving all around Southwestern Ontario every weekend now.

Mykolant, Quest4dgoodlife and hitme64 like this.
  4. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

There's a driving challenge called the Philippine Loop where a participant needs to go around the Philippines on a car or, as most participants do it, on a motorcycle. Participants are given 8 checkpoints where they have to document when they cross it. There is a team that monitors this if you register to them. Their FB page is called Philippine Loop Adventure Challenge. You can find more information in that group like route plans, budget, and places to eat or stay.

I tried it once but was able to finish the north loop only. From Manila to Aparri via the eastern side then back to Manila via the western side (with side trip to Baguio). Didn't do the Vismin leg.

Of course it is suspended at the moment due to covid.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^It’s rough riding a motorcycle for long stretches. Less than an hour is good but beyond that, even if the scenery is fine and the travel is quick, it can be problematic to the body. First to give way is your back, then your legs, and then the head when the helmet seems tightening. I don’t know about the others who go on weekly treks on two wheels but I stopped altogether motorcycle riding in ‘95 when I got thrown off one albeit with minor injuries. Anyway, to even try riding a bike through those ghastly long trips would be risky and definitely tiresome. I’d settle for a sedan or truck with aircon and plush seats and a co-driver who can sub me when I want to sleep.

raypin likes this.
  6. raypin

Mm.. Seafood in Catbalogan is cheap and really fresh. Go to the port early morning and buy by the tumpok (bunch). They do not use weighing scales.

7. raypin

mm...pacific ocean curse. Provinces on the eastern side are poor while those on the western side are rich.