The driving-across-the-country thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by p.pipster, Apr 27, 2016.

1. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

The car/driving culture is so alive and well these days compared to decades past. We owe it to easy payment plans offered by banks, high employment rates and the introduction of smaller and more affordable cars.

Not backed by data but I would surmise this also increases Juan's penchant for road trips.

Why don't we share our recently concluded or planned travels along with tips, tricks, hacks and any other helpful and interesting info. Doesn't have to be cross-country... as long as it's long and fun.

I'll start.

I plan to take my wife and kids to Baguio this Christmas and this is our planned route with stop overs in Tacloban, Mt Mayon, Quezon, Manila and San Fernando.
    [​IMG]

And then on the way back...
    [​IMG]

Still working out the specific details on where to stay, where to cross, how to much to prepare and the stop overs on the way back to Cebu.

zoo101, Sunil_K, Juice and 8 others like this.
  2. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Nice!! I'm sure i will be contributing to this thread. I foresee a number of roadtrips this year on my quest to hike up my first 14er. :)

hitme64 likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I plan to take a road trip from Manila to Tuguegarao some time July this year...while on a Suzuki Alto, just to spice things up...

Just a roof rack, some luggage maybe, and a surfboard...

Juice likes this.
  4. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

My longest drive was from BGC to Pagudpud to attend an ultramarathon. That's roughly 12 hrs drive, 12 hrs run and another 12hrs drive going back to Manila. :coffee:

hitme64 likes this.
  5. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

I did a tour around the island of cebu and another tour from puerto princesa to el nido and back early this summer. Both on a rented motorcycle.

I plan to do the philippine loop (draw a figure 8 in the philippine map with pagudpud as the northern most point and gensan as the southern most point) if ever I get to have a month off.

carlabianca and hitme64 like this.
  6. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

Search and book your accommodations thru Airbnb, enjoy! :)

7. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Get ready for, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?".

I think you will have to secure a permit for your vehicle when using RoRo. I'm not sure if that's still the case today. My longest drive was from California to Utah in the 90's. My worst ever was after 9/11 when nobody took the plane going to vegas and everyone drove instead. LA to Vegas took 9 hours! All I can see are red lights from the rear of the cars as far as the eye can see or up to the horizon from the interstate 15 freeway.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  8. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Mine wasn't recent (2002), but I still love remembering it, when the kids were small, seeing places they only read in their Social Studies books. From Iligan to Surigao to Leyte then Samar, Bicol to Manila then Baguio, and back to Manila. With ample time to enjoy the stopover areas (a night or two in Surigao, Tacloban, Sorsogon, Manila, Baguio, and back to Manila). Then we loaded the Adventure for the boat ride to Cagayan de Oro.

lsalapare likes this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Ot: Mmmm....my best long drive was Northridge to Vegas. The desert is strikingly beautiful at dawn. My worst long drive was Pacific Palisades to Vegas. Nasira car computer. I could not re-start my car.......engine dead at 4 am.......and I was alone in desert highway (just before the Nevadan border).........and no car heater.........and it was freezing cold.........I used the call box to call California HPG for tow truck support.....took 3 hours for the flatbed tow truck to arrive. Damn expensive. Walang triple A.

Sunil_K and Juice like this.
  10. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

I always wanted to go on a road trip to Northern Luzon from Metro Manila. I'm always held back by fuel expenses. hehehe. I drive a Honda Civic FD that gets 6 kms/l on my daily commute to work.

11. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Ah, road trips, a most enjoyable activity :)

Some of my favorite ones:

While on holiday in the US, I drove my family 5000 miles in 4 weeks, up and down California (PCH was the highlight), into Nevada from the north and from the south, and crossing over to Arizona.

Another memorable drive: From Melbourne to Sydney, that's 1000 km, in 10 hours. It was so stress-free that, upon arriving in Sydney, I wanted to immediately turn the car around and drive back the other way.

I did a short road trip out of London and into the surrounding countryside. It was so magical that I dream about a longer trip through Wales and Scotland.

I would also love to be able to do:
    - Tokyo to the Fuji Five Lakes area and back
    - A drive around the lake towns of Italy
    - New England in the fall
    - US East coast to West coast, seeing Gettysburg and the Grand Canyon along the way (among other sights)
    - Patagonia in South America

12. p.pipster

Nice to see there's lotsa people who share the love of road trips. Since a couple of you mentioned trips in the US, I had a long and memorable one about 2 years ago.

I was in KY for about 2 weeks for work. Several colleagues were there as well so we decided to go to NYC for a weekend. 2 cars, 3 drivers in each. Left at around Friday 8 PM, each driver taking turns for 2-3 hrs, only making stops at resting areas for pee breaks.

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 5.58.21 PM.png

We arrived at our hotel on Saturday at around 8 AM. Took a few hrs of sleep/rest. We then head off to Manhattan on a contracted taxi van (we left the cars since we knew parking would be difficult and expensive). Went around the concrete jungle where dreams are made of – Rockefeller Center, that viewing deck with replicas of old boats and a view of the Brooklyn Bridge, the Charging Bull, 9/11 memorial, that port where you can go to the statue of Liberty (we cheapskates did not take the trip to the island), Madison Square Garden, Grand Central Station (and the Apple Store inside it... employees refused their pics to be taken on selfies) and of course the Times Square.

Stayed for an hour or 2 at Central Park. It was already evening, on our hooded jackets and sweaters, 6 guys – practically looking like we're looking for trouble. So we decided to call it a day. And just like that, trouble found us. Sort of. An african-american beggar (he seemed like it) cajoled us to spare him some cash while we were figuring out how to pay tickets to the subway and put it in that swiping thing (we don't have MRTs in Cebu). I think I gave him a quarter (again, cheapskate) to which he responded, "You cheap m*th*rf**ker." The guy did not stop threatening and cajoling us until we were in the train.

We head "home" to our NJ hotel at past midnight using their train service. We arrived at the train station near our hotel around 2 AM. Crazy thing was that we did not realize there aren't any pedicabs or habal-habal there. So we practically had to walk the 6 KMs to get to our warm beds – this is after several hours of walking around mid-town and downtown Manhattan.

A police cruiser found us – suspicious looking Asians with hoods on and hands in pockets (this was in December after all) – and realized we're as harmless as kittens so he took us (in 2 trips since there's 6 of us) into the back of his cruiser on the way to hotel, still, with his red and blue lights on. To this day, I regret not having to have taken a video of that experience.

Slept for a few hrs – imagine 6 guys in a 2-bedroom hotel – before we head back to our work hotel on a Sunday morning.

Attached Files:

minggoy likes this.
  13. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Yup, New York is big, and you can easily get lost. I lived in LA in the 90's and visited my friend in Manhattan. He gave me his keys to his apartment because he was leaving for Virginia. I asked him for subway directions because I wanted to visit another friend in Bowling Green. When I left Bowling Green to go back to Manhattan, I lost the directions he gave me and decided to just ask around. I fell asleep in the subway and woke up in the Bronx and it was already night. I have no idea how I got there. Took a cab going back Manhattan.

Anyway as for driving, I'll be driving this June from LA to the Grand Canyon South rim. Not that long, but I have a feeling i'm not that resilient anymore unlike 25 years ago. So we're stopping at Las Vegas for the night. I have three kids now and I don't want to risk dozing off.

14. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

The longest drive I ever did was from California to New York and back to California, with a side trip to Toronto (whew!). This was way back in the late 80's. Was still excited to drive then, since I've just learned how to drive and just got my license. No GPS then yet, we just relied on the old-fashioned paper maps. Didn't do the whole trip by myself though, I alternated with my Dad. This was the first road trip we did as a family, and, while it was fun, i don't see myself doing it again, ever! In the past, I wanted to do a Luzon to Mindanao road trip, but now, I think I'll just fly. :)

#14 testdummy, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  15. p.pipster

My family and I regularly go to Negros since we have family there. We would head to Toledo City through the Transcentral Highway.

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 6.27.36 PM.png

Then take a ro-ro from Toledo City to San Carlos City. And then San Carlos to Bacolod City through the Eco-Translink Highway.

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 6.30.43 PM.png

Very nice roads with some challenging twists and turns and steep uphill and downhill parts. I used to speed my way through this route every 3 weeks using a Vios (sold since then) and, boy, was that fun.

Scenic route. You get views like this.

8909055390_492ed9cf90_b.jpg

rexfuge and testdummy like this.
  16. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Who else is going on a road trip this 4th of July weekend? We are heading to the Centennial state (Colorado), never been there before. Checking out Telluride, Boulder and Denver. We're planning to do moderate hikes and drive up a 14er. No time to hike up a peak this time.. Scoping out the terrain first.

17. headlesszombie

headlesszombie Active Member

Too bad I did not know you were visiting Colorado. I live in Colorado Springs and would have loved to show you around. I hope your trip was great though.

18. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

i will be reviving this thread. hahah just wondering has anyone tried road tripping from Metro Manila to Mindanao? specifically davao or vice versa? because of covid and all I'm kinda scared riding the plan and im opting to do a road trip.
    What is the safest route to take also. Thanks

19. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

there's an old thread...

https://www.philmug.ph/community/threads/travel-by-land-manila-davao-manila.68967/

not sure if anyone did it recently

20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Only by RORO bus in the late 90’s when bus fare was cheaper than plane or sea fare. Took our provincial bus 3 1/2 days tops to reach Bukidnon, just along the border with Davao. Nowadays there’s not much difference, just the experience and, mostly, inconvenience of traveling by land.

My brother-in-law did a Manila-Cagayan de Oro trip in late February this year by car, a rickety but tuned-up Kia Pride which he bought here in QC. Took him 4 1/2 days to reach CDO with just four stops, only to gas up, rest and eat. Via RORO it can provide longer pitstops before continuing the journey. It can also be tricky because RORO times are not that well scheduled. He had only one flat tire incident, well into Samar already. He also passed through dozens of checkpoints, some military, some police, some not very friendly folks. Usually, if you know the dialect it’s easier to cross them. Money helps but so does snacks or bottles of water which he had plenty for the trip. At the end, he said that he would never, ever try that trip again. He spent less than 4,000 pesos for the trip mostly for gas and food, which is just how much you spend for sea fare. So I guess it wasn’t that worthwhile and groundbreaking, and moreso in this lockdown period, riskier.

Mykolant, Quest4dgoodlife and raypin like this.