The condo thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, Sep 2, 2011.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...also prefer much lower floors. Our bureau of fire protection firetrucks, say, in makati, have ladders that can reach the 10th storey only. Any higher and it is the rooftop escape from a burning inferno and wait for chopper rescue. Good luck with that. Stairs? Only if it is not compromised by toxic fumes from a fire.

SOP ko din when staying in hotels. I always specify low floor room.

greta87, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have the garden right below me so I can very well take the jump on a bed of roses...

raypin likes this.
  3. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I ended up selling my Avida Vita condo near Vertis (signing tomorrow!) so I could get, instead, a townhouse in Sikatuna for exactly the same price I paid for the condo. No brainer for me (although the condo is more centrally located). 47-sqm one bedroom + 1TB + parking vs. 4-bedrooms + maid's quarters, 3 TB, roof deck, parking (and no association fees!). At last, enough space for my books, paintings, typewriters, pens and other junk :)

jayparalejas, rdy0329, VicB and 13 others like this.
  4. raypin

Mm...yup. Townhouse offers far better value than high-rise condo. From experience, townhouse is less secure than condo specially if it is street-facing (public road). So, invest in a good security system (wireless, real-time notification etc.). Also, retrofit townhouse garage door with motorized unit (Doortech Cubao). Saves you a lot of problems getting into or out of garage specially when it is rainy.

ronjet, SE20, hitme64 and 2 others like this.
  5. penmanila

Staff Member

Yep, security is one big difference. My townhouse unit is a couple of doors in, so it doesn't face the street, which worries me less. But the parking space is outside, facing the street; it's really just a kind of an iron fence, so I'm not sure I can use a garage-door mechanism with it (would love to sana!). I will miss the condo's 24/7 security and second-floor guarded parking--and of course the condo lifestyle (feels like I'm a hotel everyday, haha). But I'm sure I'll adjust quickly to the townhouse; I especially can't wait to barbecue and play poker with my buddies on the roof deck!

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  6. raypin

Mm...My former townhouse which I maintained for 7 years was an interior unit with a single driveway and gate (total of 12 interior units with 6 street-side units). While there was no association dues, there was also a lack of cooperation between the owners. We could not agree on anything. Early on, some of us proposed hiring a security guard and installing an automatic gate closer (easily retrofit the swing-type driveway gate). Nothing happened so it was kanya-kanya. Result was the common areas were not maintained well.

Overall, I still prefer a townhouse to a condo. More freedom, less rules.

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  7. penmanila

Staff Member

Naku totoo yang no cooperation. I haven't even moved into my townhouse yet, but I've already heard stories about how the residents couldn't even pay P300 a month to hire a guard, even after some burglaries in the area. Wala na ngang dues, e.... At least the dues I used to pay Ayala (around 5K a month) can go to my ISP and cable TV.

8. hitme64

^Ah, the pros and cons of condo vs townhouse life. I used to live in a townhouse and I hated my neighbors. Throw trash at will, use the common parking space for drying clothes, no care about loud music, drinking or parties, kids roaming everywhere and even entering your space like they own it, kasambahays taking too long outside because they talk and text and preen and talk, yikes so many conflicts among neighbors even for just looking or parking beyond the designated lines. There are more but what the heck, I thought a townhouse with 3 bedrooms, 3 T&Bs, an attic, an inside balcony (wrong design, because it overlooks the next door’s bedroom), granite countertops, contemporary decor and an overall modern vibe would change Pinoy habits of close quarter living. And yes, no security. Damn bill collectors, an occasional tambay, unscrupulous salespeople, even unauthorized car owners would use the common areas or enter at will because the so-called security gates are always open and no one closes it.

So, yeah, it’s condo living. We’re an empty nest so it’s us and nobody else. No need for more than 2 rooms (for occasional visits from the children). I have two-car parking, 24/7 security, information desks, elevator operators, CCTV in common areas, a large outdoor roof park, two Olympic-sized swimming pools, a covered court, an open-aired lobby for waiting guests, and yeah, rules and fees. I think we’d be happier here.

Sunil_K, ronjet, greta87 and 2 others like this.
  9. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

The only thing that prevented me from getting a townhouse was when my Dad and my Mom had difficulty with the stairs, the living room was on the third floor. Didn't have enough energy left to take a peek at the bedrooms and said "Kayo na lang bumisita sa amin if dito kayo titira" :ROFLMAO: Ended up getting a condo, which was much closer to Makati Med. We're in the middle of everything, and we live on the lower floors since we have toddlers, and the former mayor told us "Kung irerescue ka namin, hanggang 7th floor lang ang ladders namin!:ROFLMAO:"

Granted, we've gotten more mainlanders, but our floor only has 6 units, and they're mostly quiet people (I think we're the noisy ones, LOL) But we're probably saying here for maybe 4-5 more years, till we move to somewhere bigger for 3 kids. Will definitely miss this place though, everything is just so accessible, work is a 10-minute walk away, grocery across our place, lots of restaurants, and about 7-8 of them open for 24 hours(y) Might jump on it sooner, our broker has been telling us the units in the area have doubled in price since 2012!

Sunil_K, ronjet, penmanila and 3 others like this.
  10. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Personally the property prices right now are too rich , Driven by demand especially the POGO operators. I would not enter the market right now unless its dirt cheap.

rdy0329, Juice, greta87 and 1 other person like this.
  11. AceBurd

AceBurd Member

i a
    i agree, a housing bubble, surely it will bursts. it is not only driven by demand but hype and speculation as well.

12. hitme64

^They are, but ten or so years ago, not many were able to buy in condos because prices were unconscionable. But now, albeit the in-house credit schemes and all other perks and demands that go with condo living, it’s become a reminder of the striving middle class, and not just because foreigners and POGO sticks find it as temporary quarters, but because modern families are getting into it.

Years ago I wouldn’t even imagine to dream living in a condo but everything changes when age and pension and grandkids and health comes in. You find the best that works for you. Definitely a house and lot or townhouse aren’t in the equation.

13. MacJjang

MacJjang New Member

“A parking space can be a form of investment
    You may be aware that a condo project has a limited number of parking slots. A parking space has a separate certificate of ownership from the condo unit itself. One of the benefits of having a parking space, especially one in a condo, is that it can be an investment.”

This was from an Article from DMCI.
    ( https://leasing.dmcihomes.com/reasons-own-parking-space/ )
    I’m not an agent or anything but we have a condo unit and we don’t really need the park space now so thinking of getting one as an investment.

I am aware this will depend on location and resident occupancy. Just wanted to have a general idea. What do u think of this? Is parking slot investment in condos a good idea? Or too expensive for the actual rental or reselling value?

14. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

I agree with this one, parking space is gold especially in Ortigas and Makati

greta87 likes this.
  15. hitme64

I got two actually. I use one, and rent out the other on a daily basis. Now I have something to pay up for utilities at the end of the month. For me, that’s golden.

Sunil_K, extremeshot, Juice and 2 others like this.
  16. hitme64

Speaking of parking space, since when can PMO say that any damage to cars parked in their slots is not their fault, even when committed by their own workers or contractors? That’s stupid and irresponsible. You expect that by parking your car in its proper and paid for slot it would at least be protected and secured for. Besides, it wasn’t the fault of the owner that a moron from the condo management office was responsible for the damage. This isn’t “to each his own.”

17. raypin

mm...you can always sue them in small claims court (cap raised to Php400,000.00 now).

hitme64 likes this.
  18. hitme64

^Actually, all I want is for PMO or DMCI for that matter to pay up Php15k for damages sustained on a new paint job that got stained with grease, liquid rust and gravel bits. They opened up a service conduit above my car and didn’t realize it was flooded with muck and grime. And they left it that way without informing me or even cleaning it up, claiming it was an Act of God.

19. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

You could try sending your complaint to the condo Board of Trustees. They're suppose to represent the interests of the condo owners although most boards represent the interest of the developers. It's worth a try anyway.

hitme64 likes this.
  20. hitme64

Well it’s a new condo and no new set of trustees or directors yet, just an idiotic PMO handling day-to-day affairs of the condo and those of the owners/tenants.