The City of Paris

Discussion in 'Travel' started by PowerPee, Oct 22, 2011.

1. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

i used skyroam

2. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Actually I have Skyroam but it's more expensive than Pokefi. The pokefi charges 6 USD per day I think and they have 3 day pass for 15 USD. Planning to get a sim card in Paris so we can call as well. :)

zagu likes this.
  3. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

PAL’s pocket WiFi is largely useless in UK, France and Germany. Better option for me was to buy a EU prepaid data SIM pop it into a spare smartphone and do a personal hotspot.

Landed in London and the UK telco carrier EE offers a £20 prepaid with A UK phone number and 13GB of data and a few hours of calls/sms. Works in the UK and some EU states.

Compared to PAL’s solution that has a bad and worn out battery and seldom has a good data connectiOn

#63 tweek, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  4. waks13

waks13 Active Member

City of Paris ? - First things comes to my mind: Eiffel Tower and thieves.

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^And gypsies along the boardwalks of the Left Bank...they'll pester you with their potions and amulets and trinkets and then rob you clean

Sometimes, just strolling along Champs Elysee is still the safest route especially for tourists...

Just don't look at those shops or they'll definitely rob you clean, err, like the gypsies but richer...

raypin likes this.
  6. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

I enjoyed Prague more than Paris. One of the highlights of Paris though was visiting the house of Claude Monet in Giverny.

...but Paris is still a good idea ;)

7. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

A lot of Chinese tourists were there when I last visited Paris a month ago. Most tourist attractions were filled by tourists from Mainland. Even in the hotel we stayed there were a lot of Chinese tourists blocking the hallway from the elevator to the lobby. No wonder Galeries Lafayette now has a lot of Chinese salespeople employed.

raypin likes this.
  8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, I enjoyed Prague more from our vacation in Europe. Love their beers.

9. Irene

Irene New Member

seriously now, i cant believe it's so hard to look for a roommate for a cosmos france 14-day tour package, april 2019.
    anybody here interested?

10. hitme64

Not a good time to go, Paris is in shambles, most boutiques and shops are closed because of the Yellow Vest Rebellion, and airbnb and hotels are quite empty...

Despite that, prices for hotels and the like haven't gone down nor are air and train fares...

raypin likes this.
  11. Irene

Irene New Member

i doubt it will still be in shambles april 2019

12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

13. hitme64

Supposedly my Europe trip intentionally bypassed Paris for Brussels but on the Eurostar you can’t help notice the City of Lights. We had to get down even for a few hours, so we did for like 4. Paris is like wine which gets finer as you linger on it longer. The City of Lights is impressively bright and filled with tourists despite the Yellow Vests Rebellion which now seems like past. We lunched at a patisserie near Gare du Nord at Rue de Dunkerque and marvelled at how resilient Paris transformed despite the tense months of anarchy. Obviously Macron is doing quite well. And so we left Paris for Switzerland, filled with coq au vin, beef bourguignon and some confit to get by (and cheese and French bread) as we finally took the train onward to Zurich. Bon appetit!

zagu, Dekra and raypin like this.
  14. hitme64

Spoke too soon about the Yellow Vest Rebellion being over. Fresh violence in the capital as nearly a million demonstrators took to the streets to protest Macron’s pension reform plans, or whatever. It’s like we were there during the eye of the storm and then the tail end of a hurricane set in. Prenda soin le France.

15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

16. waks13

waks13 Active Member

City of Paris = full of thieves and full of scams....filthy dirty...don't believe in their romantic hypes. On positive note..The general French people are warmly nice.

Quest4dgoodlife and leninmac like this.
  17. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Didn't get scammed or robbed or pickpocketed but yes, try to be alert and try to speak a few french phrases - it helps a lot, especially in restaurants. The locals genuinely like it that you're trying. Yes, it's dirty with all the merde (sh*t, dog p**) all around and the smell of piss that you need to contend with. haha! The French countryside is nicer and cleaner.

18. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah. I heard that Liam Neeson’s daughter got kidnapped in Paris. Good thing he knows a particular set of skills. :LOL::LOL:

Quest4dgoodlife likes this.