The Battery Threads merged (all battery talk goes here)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by DON2003, May 29, 2006.

1. anchorite

anchorite Member

Ok. I was watching a movie last night when my machine went blackout. I guess that is the battery finally giving up. It won't power up. I do not know if it's already totally dead/damaged beyond repair or just a self-preservation feature to protect itself from further damage. Since I am out of the country in war-torn *********, and won't be able to send the battery replacement kit to a DPO address, I ventured to trying to remove the battery myself in the hopes that I could run the machine without batteries. So far, I managed to do up to step 18 of the ifixit process. (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+Late+2016+Battery+Replacement/124522).

My question now before I go on further is, is it possible to just remove the battery without dismantling everything? Do I really have to dismantle everything out just to remove the battery?

Thank you in advance.

2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@anchorite

I was able to replace the battery of a unit same as yours without going through the extra steps. Unless you will use a liquid solution for the battery adhesive, the steps involving the trackpad removal (or any other parts that may be damaged by the liquid if spilled onto them) are required.

If you just need the battery disconnected while using with the charger, you can try inserting a non-conductive material in between the battery’s connecting ports. In my case I used a thin rubber tape like those used for plumbing.

#1022 makintosh, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  3. anchorite

anchorite Member

Got it. Thank you.

My main challenge now is prying the batteries off. I don't have liquid adhesive remover. Any advice?

4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@anchorite

Best tool in my opinion is a tough plastic card (PVC ID or old credit card you won’t mind getting worn out in the end). Slice it through the adhesive underneath but be carefull not to rupture the battery as it may cause fire and also not to scrape the trackpad’s circuit board. A wire saw or something similar might also do the trick. Tried regular twine but it just took longer and ended up hurting my hands.

5. anchorite

anchorite Member

Copy that. Thanks.

Goddemmit, Apple!

6. anchorite

anchorite Member

Ok. So the battery is out.

I applied power and it wont power up. So I guess it's dead huh?

7. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@anchorite

Considering the design of the logic board, there won’t be much option to check other than the usual connectors correctly put back. If the problem persist after ensuring those then it’s probably dead. ☠️

8. anchorite

anchorite Member

Yeah, I suspected as much.

Do we have a repair shop ala Louis Rossman in Manila?

9. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@anchorite

Nobody I know of. Tried some in Manila, QC and Mandaluyong who claim to do board level repair on macs. Nobody was able to repair my 2011 15” MBP with faulty GPU. Was hoping to get hardware disabling of the dGPU so only the iGPU is always used. None I went to knows how to do it. They also don’t accept the newer models (2016 and up) anymore, except for replacements of batteries, screens and trackpads. Probably they don’t have the same schematics and parts Louis has and/or rely on donor parts from newer models that are scarce and not as easy to salvage and transplant.

Maybe someone else here can recommend someone with Rossmann’s caliber. Anyway, hope you get what you want for your unit... aside from a proper burial/disposal. #justkidding

anchorite likes this.