The Battery Threads merged (all battery talk goes here)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by DON2003, May 29, 2006.

1. makinao

makinao Active Member

Just got the battery of my 2012 MBP 15" replaced under applecare after months with the "service battery" warning. Battery wasn't swelling, but would die at about 10% power left. Brought it to MSI Digicare Libis last Wednesday. They agreed to remove the battery and let me take it home while waiting for the part to arrive, as long as I brought it back for installation within 24 hours of the parts' arrival. They called today at about 10:30am, and I got there by 1pm. It took just 30 minutes for installation, diagnostics, rebooting, and testing. I'm now back to 102% current capacity. Yehey!

2. raze19

raze19 Active Member

3. trasherk

trasherk Member

Decided to buy a battery replacement from Lazada. I'll still try this 'fix' to see if it's a viable one for future references after I get hold of my replacement unit.

#963 trasherk, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  4. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

Hello,

I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it anywhere - tried searching first.

My battery has been draining after shutdown.
    I usually notice it if I don't use the MacBook for a week and about 5% is drained from 100%. this is from complete shutdown.

I have a late 2013 13" rMBP with around 67 cycles.
    Its usually when I don't use the MBP for a long time.

is this normal? I also made sure that it is shutdown as I wait for all lights to go off before closing the lid, also I use NoSleep and Caffeine when using my MacBook so closing the lid will not make it sleep.

5. nurse_corrupted

You can fix it as long as you have the tools to do the job.

My MBA late 2011 battery swelled and bulged and it affected my trackpad. Battery is also dead. I ordered a spare battery from ebay: the cheapest and with good review that I can buy. Opened the case, removed the battery, inserted the new one, viola! MBA now working.

Just make sure you have the right screwdriver to do the Job. Ifixit has good guides in replacing Macbook's batteries.

6. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i probably wouldn't - battery chemistry is made up of dangerous stuff and i won't dare play around with it.

amboy likes this.
  7. amboy

amboy Member

the mere fact that it started to bloat already is an indication that your battery chemistry is already off. this cannot be undone by just releasing the trapped vapour. furthermore, releasing the vapour is dangerous as this vapour upon contact with oxygen in the air might be enough to cause it to combust. just replace the battery bro.

kutsaratinidor likes this.
  8. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

Can anyone help me? I am not sure if this is normal.

9. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Bluetooth or wifi is left on is my best theory... Aside from that 5% for a week isn't that bad.

10. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

Its completely shutdown, that's 5% not completely using the MacBook :D

Well my wifi and Bluetooth are left on since my mouse is connected via BT and wifi is something I don't turn off.

11. ozzy1212

ozzy1212 New Member

[​IMG]
    i think mine is starting to bulge and not in a good way
    anyone know where to buy a replacement battery without having to spend 8k?
    i see anker batteries in amazon for a little over 2k.
    anyone able to source these locally?

12. manager

manager Active Member

^^II_esquivas has good prices.

ozzy1212 likes this.
  13. uglybunny

uglybunny Member

I ran a diagnostic this morning and i got the message below (The battery requires service), any of you experienced the same and what did you do to fix it?

It is still on warranty but I'm hesitant to bring it over to power mac for service. I'm afraid that they'll take days or weeks to resolve it. Anyone had their battery replaced by power mac?

IMG_0708.JPG

14. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

If I may suggest, you can bring your mac at QCDTech at Robinsons Galleria. My macbook air's battery was replaced in 9 days since they do not have stock of the model for my mac. Turn around time will be shorter if they have on-hand stock of the battery for the model of your mac.

15. uglybunny

uglybunny Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try that if ever the powermac near my house doesn't have a stock.

Update:
    Just went to pmac and they said they'll need to hold on to my mac for at least 9 days for troubleshooting, even if the diagnostics only shows that the battery is the only issue. Can't afford not to have a unit specially these coming weeks.

@pepspeps
    did you also left your mac on QCDTech for 9 days? do they acknowledge apple warranty?

#975 uglybunny, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  16. makinao

makinao Active Member

uglybunny: Based on my experience (see message #961 above), its likely that Apple will just replace your battery if it is still under warranty. But for that to happen, the service center will:
    1) Run some diagnostics to determine if the problem can be resolved within the terms of the warranty. This shouldn't take more than half an hour.
    2) Request for a new battery from Apple Asia.
    3) Wait for the battery to arrive. Usually 7-10 days depending on delivery time, and local customs.
    4) Install and test the battery within 24 hours of the its arrival. Again, this takes less than 30 minutes if the old battery was the only problem.
    5) Inform Apple Asia about the status of the battery.
    6) If all goes well, inform you that its ready for pickup.

I suggest you call Apple Asia support first, so that it is aware of the problem. They will issue a case number, which you should cite when you bring it to a service center. Print out the email they send you, and show it to the receptionist. This also allows Apple to monitor how the service center handles the problem.

In my case, I was able to bring the unit home with me sans the battery on condition that I bring it back to them within 24 hours of the battery's arrival in the service center. So I didn't have any downtime, except that I had to be plugged in all the time. I don't know if your service center will allow this.

#976 makinao, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    uglybunny likes this.
  17. uglybunny

uglybunny Member

thanks @makinao for that tip, I went yesterday and someone from pmac ran a couple of tests and the weird thing is that the results were all OK except for the apple diagnostic. I asked her why and all she said that its just a glitch.

18. makinao

makinao Active Member

What was that diagnostic you ran?

19. uglybunny

uglybunny Member

@makinao Apple Diagnostic where I press D on startup, don't know what its called.

20. ozzy1212

ozzy1212 New Member

Maybe it was the Apple Dagnostics?

Copy pasted from the Apple site...
    To start Apple Diagnostics:

1. Turn off your computer if it is on by choosing Shut Down from the Apple () menu.
    2. Press the power button to turn on your computer.
    3. Immediately press and hold the D key until Apple Diagnostics begins.
    4. If you previously selected a language for the computer, a "Checking your Mac" screen will appear in that language.
    Check the site bro for the remaining instructions :)
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731