The Battery Threads merged (all battery talk goes here)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by DON2003, May 29, 2006.

1. mytam28

mytam28 Member

Re: from 100% to 96%

i have a 5-day old MBP. On day 1 it was at 100% battery health, the next day it was down to 96%. now it's on 91% with 5 cycles only. Should I worry?

2. techvampire

techvampire Member

^ My MBP battery is just 1 month old. Battery health is 93%. Maybe I need to calibrate it again.

3. jmtubera

jmtubera Member

Hometown: Cabanatuan City. Current: Sampaloc, Mani

quite same here,

my macbook pro 15" is just 10 days old and its now down to 96%! what should i do? is this normal ?? or would the perecent go up if i calibrate the battery? thanks!

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

please backtrack and read this thread. I know it's long, but it's mostly redundant stuff.

5. myke_415frisko

newbie question guys..how do i count the cycles?meaning from fully charged then draining it then fully charge it again does that count as 1 cycle?sorry newbie lang po

6. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

A cycle is when the total battery power is less than 50% before it is recharged. The battery electronics monitor the status of the cells during use, and not cycling the battery at least once a week may cause the electronics to get false recordings. It is best to fully drain the battery before you charge it up again. Seeing a fully charged in your battery status monitor as 99% is a good indication to fully cycle your battery. Try to go back a few pages for more info.

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just to add, having few cycles is not necessarily a good thing. I kept my cycle count low on my old MBP, and the battery went bad (literally, the test said, "Battery Bad") in less than 2 years.

8. rsh78ph

rsh78ph Member

A new mac user using an old mbp. Is it wise to use my old battery if Im using it as a desktop? And just use the new battery whenever I bring it out?

9. raze94

raze94 Member

to keep the health of your new battery good i would suggest to use the new one. not using your battery actually doesnt preserve it. according to apple it actually does the opposite. regular use of the battery and allowing the "juices to flow" so to speak is what keeps the battery healthy.

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Two extreme ways batteries die under normal circumstances:

• Use it often and log up those cycles
    • Keep the Mac plugged and 100%

Batteries will die within 2-3 years no matter how you use it. Lithium batteries start degrading the day they leave the plant. It doesn't matter if you only have 4 cycles but if the battery was made 2 years before you bought your Mac, it is going south.

Factors that affect battery wear:

• no. of cycles (a battery has a finite amount of cycles assuming it doesn't expire yet)
    • heat
    • keeping a battery 100% charged for prolonged periods
    • physical damage or defect

My advice? Just save for your next pack and enjoy your Mac.

11. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

guys,

how long did it take you on your first calibration (when you first got your mac notebook)? Thanks!

12. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Redundancy..anyways, google is your friend on how to calibrate your macbook battery. There's a simple step actually.

13. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Does "overnight sleep mode" can cause battery degradation?

I just observed my battery health went to 94% when i left it on sleep mode while charging.

#473 motoflux, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  14. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

When on sleep, its okay to unplug it. It wouldn't take that much of power overnight.

15. grey

grey New Member

is it advisable to change the battery already for '06 unibody 13"? i noticed that my baby's bat lasts for at least an hour instead of the usual :( and does anybody know mr charlie's/digital hub's cp number? or at least digital hub's tel #?

16. qmaldita

qmaldita New Member

Charge cycle count question.. ;)

hey..
    sorry if u may find this question stupid.. hehe.. but how does cycle count, count? every time u plug it, is it counted na? or when its drained lang. or something? how does that go? is there anyway that the cycle count wont count? looking forward to your replies.. thanks! :)

17. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

Re: question.. ;)

i believe the cycle count is one whole charge. meaning if you plug it in at 80% charge level, 20% ung idadagdag. tapos ginamit mo ulit ung battery up to 50%, and you charge till full that's 50%, recharge. tapos ginamit mo sha up to 70% batt charge, and mag re "Reload" ka ng 30% ulit.

so, 20% + 50% + 30% = one cycle.

although, i may be wrong all this time. but that's been my understanding since i switched

18. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

Re: Charge cycle count question.. ;)

i agree with chetiboy, i read somewhere that charge cycle is indeed like that.

19. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I've merged qmaldita's thread with this thread. Folks, this thread is rather useful and informative when it comes to battery concerns such as cycle count, initial charging, maintenance, problems, repairs, etc. If you feel there are too many pages, don't hesitate to use the search function within this thread.

You'll find this search function (within the thread) below the page numbers in the top-right part of the thread. It's a magnifying glass icon. Click on it and input your query in the pop-out window. A search result from this thread (and this thread only) will come out.

Thank you.

20. McG

McG Member

Is it ok to use a used-up (not charging anymore) battery?

The reason I ask is because I don't want to overcharge a battery once its fully charged by keeping it plugged. But I read somewhere that I shouldn't leave my mackbook plugged without a battery like I normally do with a windows laptop, so i thought of putting a used up battery and keeping it plugged while in the office and used the working battery on the road.