The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

There are several titles that are free to watch. Apple TV series are always free if you're subscribed. The ones that are "buy or rent" are movies. The ones that have "play first episodes" are contents of other channels that are integrated with the Apple TV like ABC, HBO etc. They will give a free first episode.

2. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Im currently using my free 1 year subs of apple tv + cause i buy a new phone...
    What if after a few months, i also buy an ipad, will my 1 yr subscription of apple tv+ will reset again after i will get the new ipad.?

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....free once, no matter how many eligitble devices you buy. The free subscription is tied to your Apple ID. One free subscription per Apple ID.

4. raypin

mm...late response: Apple nested the Apple TV + subscription service (free for 1 year for eligible device purchase) within the Apple TV app. You need to scroll down to the Apple TV + page (which contains all original Apple content and all episodes are free to watch at the moment).

The Apple TV app also includes TV series and movies for rent or purchase, a holdover from the iTunes years and still available, as well as content from other services (except Netflix) which redirects you to that particular service if you want to access it.

For example: I have Hulu subscription. The Apple TV app keeps track of what I am viewing from Hulu.

SE20 likes this.
  5. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

^ It may not be an issue to most of us who are familiar with how streaming deals work but Apple needs to be better than this.

For the "mere mortal" it is confusing. Also... just plain messy. Difficult to see which one is available to me based on what I've subscribed vs what can be bought vs what i can watch if/when i subscribe until a few clicks in to the title.

It's not the Apple experience of old.

6. raypin

Mm...if that is the case and you want it simple: populate your Apple TV (the device) with only the subscription services you are using. Clean up and delete the ones you do not use. Go to the apps directly (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Sling, HBO, Vudu and a multitude of others). The rest of the stuff is rent or buy.

That is as simple as it gets considering that Apple hosts or allows subscription services that it does not own or produce.

7. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Short answer, no. One free subscription per Apple ID. If you have multiple Apple IDs, you can have two account free. It will never be cumulative though.

8. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    the Roku TV I recently got already has an AppleTV app that I can install. That means I can run my AppleTV+ account on it. Am I correct?

That kinda rendered the AppleTV player I bought from the US redundant, ano?

9. raypin

Mm...Roku and Apple TV are competing streaming devices. Compare the UI, that is the deciding factor.

I also have smart tv, android box. I prefer the UI (ease of use, intuitive operation, smooth, siri search, in- app subscription payment for dfiferent streaming services except for Netflix) of the Apple TV puck....10 to 1. There’s also Airplay 2 for my iPad and iPhone (seamless). To repeat, it just works.

greta87 and Mykolant like this.
  10. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    wYeah, I get it now. Thanks!

The Roku channel is really just a "come-on" because the free channels/shows are the types one would usually skip through when channel surfing back in the early days of cable TV. I was looking for a cheaper Smart TV that didn't have Roku but there weren't any available.

AppleTV+ naman is slowly catching up with better and more content. Eventually, there will be more available. But the option of renting or buying movies/TV Shows is not a bad deal esp when you compare the price of tickets in a cinema. Still need to wrap my head around paying for TV series, from someone who grew up on free American TV shows in the 80s.

Disney+ is great because of the vast movie/TV library available. We already christened our TV set up by watching "Toy Story 4" last night. Still couldn't figure out how to activate the subtitles.

raypin likes this.
  11. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

In these days of overloaded Internet servers, my TV 4K is able to stream Netflix top-trending shows at spec'd quality, where my Smart TVs are already buffering.

12. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Folks. Is it possible to register 2 Apple TV remotes on 1 Apple TV?

13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

I agree with you i experience that issue right now, when im streaming netflix on chromecast and smart tv, it already buffer most of the time, while when i use my apple tv box it still crystal clear... i hope the apple tv will not be affected of this “reduced quality” that netflix and other streaming app will be implenting temporarily.

14. raypin

Mm....netflix is still 4k for me. Not affected by the reso throttling by Netflix.

15. raypin

mm...afaik, only one remote per apple tv set top box. The other remote is your iPhone or iPad.

#3095 raypin, Mar 29, 2020 at 2:22 AM
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    leninmac likes this.