The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....no support for external hard drive or USB sticks. ATV has wifi and ethernet.

Apple TV, from the very start, never supported USB plug n play movie. Syncing of content was wireless through iTunes.

hitme64 likes this.
  2. raypin

Mm...look under audio and video:

https://www.apple.com/ph/apple-tv-4k/specs/

As for streaming app like Netflix, audio support depends on your device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix-compatible_devices

3. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I noticed a couple of weeks back that there's an Apple TV app on my Samsung Smart TV. Kinda dumb of me since I never really grasped it at first that Apple has released a native (albeit limited) Apple TV App for Samsung. When I logged my Apple ID in, I realized that I can now watch movies in iTunes and even do AirPlay. I had an Apple TV before but sold it already. Was considering getting an Apple TV again for the upcoming Apple TV+ service but apparently, this App supports it as well. Sooooo.... do I still need an Apple TV?

4. raypin

Mm...if you are satisfied with the Apple TV app on your Samsung smart tv, My reco is not to buy the Apple TV (the streamer).

From what I understand, the upcoming Apple TV plus (the streaming service) will be available not just on the Apple TV (the streamer) but also on non-Apple hardware.

extremeshot likes this.
  5. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

It makes sense if Apple wants to compete with Netflix I guess. So far, yes, I'm satisfied with AirPlay and can see the 4K iTunes content as well (though I honestly have not tried buying/renting yet). The interface of the app just isn't as pretty as the Apple TV hardware/streamer but yes, as long as it does what its supposed to do then that should suffice for now.

It will be interesting how Apple would differentiate the features of hardware/streamer with the app moving forward since the key purpose of this hardware has been served by software, at least for my needs.

6. raypin

Mm..if you are into casual gaming, wait for Apple Arcade later this year and see if it makes sense to buy the Apple TV (the streamer). At php11k, the ATV 4K machine can be your gaming machine at a good discount to the cost of a console or a PC gaming rig.

I m sticking with the ATV (two of them). Dont want to deal with the crap of smart tv.

#3026 raypin, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    extremeshot likes this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I actually had more luck with ATV1 then through a USB hack but not anymore. Those were the days. Sigh...

raypin likes this.
  8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m having trouble signing in to Netflix on my TV 4K. Did a live chat with a Netflix support guy and he confirmed they’re having some problems with TV 4K.

My 3rd gen ATVs can connect to Netflix, no problem on those.

9. insidetonismind

How is it now? Were you able to resolve it?

10. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

If i set download aerial screensaver to daily, does it mean everyday i will have new aerial screensaver right? But does it also mean everyday my storage will be lessen cause it says each new video is around 650mb?

So do i need to stop that in a certain period so that my storage wont get full?

11. raypin

Mm...check your Apple TV. TV OS 13 was released two days ago.

What’s new?

Device support: 4th and 5th gen Apple TV.

#3031 raypin, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Juice likes this.
  12. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Having a good time with Arcade!

raypin likes this.
  13. raypin

Mm...just go to manage storage to keep tabs and delete content as needed.

14. ianthensome

ianthensome Member

Hey guys, I'm contemplating on buying an Apple TV for Christmas but I wanna make sure my favorite apps/channels are available in the app store? Where can I see the list of available apps? I'm coming from Roku but there's no Amazon Prime Video.

I just need the following:
    - Netflix
    - YouTube
    - Hooq
    - Amazon Prime Video

15. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Only Hooq does not have an Apple TV app. But i think you can still airplay from your iOS device to the Apple TV for those apps that don't have a TV app equivalent.

16. ianthensome

ianthensome Member

Thanks a lot! That should be okay I guess.

17. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm pretty sure it has all of those you mentioned. However, don't expect it to be as easy to watch on as the Roku. Text input on the Apple TV remote is a huge pain. Good thing it has voice input, however it doesn't work on all apps/services. I have both (Apple TV and the Roku) and I ended up using the Roku more...

As for the Apple TV apps, you can check some of the apps listed in this article: https://www.imore.com/best-apple-tv-apps

18. ianthensome

ianthensome Member

Oh is it? This is the second time I've heard that Apple TV is not as user friendly as the other streaming devices. I had the Roku for 2 years now and I really have no complaints except for the lack of Amazon Prime Video. I probably should read/watch more reviews/vlogs.

19. raypin

mmm....if text input is your preferred input method, USE YOUR IPHONE or iPad on your Apple TV. No serious Apple TV owner ever uses the on-screen keyboard....in fact, the best way to navigate Apple TV is through your iPhone or iPad. Make the search or browse titles, choose on your Apple TV using voice then play.....and for popcorn run, pause Apple TV using your Apple Watch. Or you can simply Airplay it.

It is EXTREMELY user-friendly........and I can confidently say that since the beginning of Apple TV in 2008. Orig owner here.

Hooq, Amazon, Netflix and Youtube PLUS tons of other streaming apps are available on Apple TV.

#3039 raypin, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  20. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Why not sideload the APV app using the FileLinked app. No need to buy the ATV because of APV app.