The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm

Mm...for ATV-specific apps, click on the app store on your ATV.

Search the web for lists of good ATV apps.

Try Gods of Egpyt (free game).

#3001 raypin, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Sir iAco likes this.
  2. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

hitme64 likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

If this will be the mode of access, then will other TV companies do the same with their smart TV offerings, like Sony or LG?

That would make the Apple TV physical cube obsolete then. But maybe we can now use the USB slot for physical addons like it used to be before the new iterations.

4. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

^ with the iTunes app on those TVs, you can only watch iTunes-bought/rented content. Other streaming apps (e.g., Prime) aren't there... unless those apps are also available stand-alone on the TV. Also, Apple TV games and other apps (e.g., weather) won't be there as well.

So there's still room for the Apple TV box.

PinkHunny, raypin and leninmac like this.
  5. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Most streaming apps are already available for Download in Smart TVs with their respective OS ( WebOS, Tizen, Android, etc. ). Netflix, Prime, UFC, NBA, Spotify, you name it. The Apple TV will end up becoming simply a gaming platform.

raypin likes this.
  6. p.pipster

^ Maybe.

For over 5 years, i only use "dumb LEDs" and use the Apple TV to make it smart. If a smart TV's UI would improve, maybe i'll switch to that TV. And, oh, privacy: i don't want my viewing habits collected.

7. hitme64

So no downloads on the Apple TV app then? But wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of the app if you would still need the puck? Everything is now featured on TV as an app so why settle for the device? Oh wait, because Apple is proprietary and they want to make more bucks.

8. p.pipster

There's a reason the Apple TV is sized and spec'd the way it is. It's a box because it needs hardware. Requires some storage. Needs processing power on a chip they designed themselves. For one to have the 'complete' Apple TV experience, i don't think it'd be possible to do that on a simple app on a, say, Samsung TV with whatever parts inside those things.

Just like a Hackintosh (Mac on a Windows/Linux machine)... it's just not the same.

hitme64 and leninmac like this.
  9. leninmac

Actually some of the streaming apps work better on the native app of the Smart TV than the Apple TV’s. Those interactive contents on Netflix like Bandersnatch? Yep, Doesn’t work on Apple TV. Similarly Prime’s X-ray function which I find very useful also doesn’t work on the Apple TV’s Prime App.

hitme64 likes this.
  10. raypin

Mm....the idea is to purchase content from iTunes (for movies and TV series) using your Apple devices and then airplay2 it to a compatible smart tv. For download and offlline viewing, it will still be limited to your Apple devices with storage (excluding Apple TV set-top box). For streaming, view all you want for as long as the smart tv is apple compatible.

Now that Apple TV (the app) is available on smart TVs, it kinda' renders the Apple TV (the streaming box) an unnecessary expense or is it? The biggest draw of the Apple TV (the box) is the beautiful UI. It is still second to none. Also, if you are into the Apple ecosystem, I just love the way it integrates with iOS devices. The iPhone, the iPad and the Watch becomes an extension of the Apple TV (the box) as remote controls and as a very convenient keyboard (to search content and to input your account credentials). Activating a streaming app account credentials is a matter of inputting a 4 digit number or using face ID on an iOS device to automatically fill in your streaming account details on the Apple TV (the box) is just super convenient. That is something where smart TVs lags badly.

At the end of the day, it is just the super convenient aspect and the beautiful, smooth UI that makes the Apple TV really worth it and I am willing to pay the premium. I don't want to waste my time looking and enjoying my selected content with clumsy UI.

Also, when I travel, I bring along my Apple TV so I can enjoy my streaming apps on any HDMI-equipped TV. Very useful, di ba?

It is an excellent investment.

#3010 raypin, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

Wouldn’t that UI be replicated in the Apple TV app itself, and wouldn’t our iDevices also work as remote control for the app in the same way we can use a Smart TV app to control other streaming content?

I say this because maybe that UI can be designed on Android TVs the same way it appears on the physical puck. Also having a Smart TV remote control app on the iPhone should likewise work on the Apple TV app. In the IoT universe, the one control that controls everything is in our hands. Should be right...

12. raypin

Mm...not sure about that but the OS that smart tv use is not Apple's. The Apple TV app is smart tv compatible in the same manner that iTunes has a Windows version. Its been modified. It is not just app compatibility that matters but the hardware that matters. Does the Samsung smart TV with the Apple TV compatibility also have voice control? How good is the Samsung TV remote vs. the remote of the Apple TV (the box)? How is it experience-wise? Is it smooth? Can the Samsung smart TV with the Apple TV app communicate or interface with other Samsung devices like smartphones or laptops?

Hardware and software and features matters as all three impacts user experience.

13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

With Airplay 2 and apple tv app coming to new smart tv models, what are still the advantage of having an apple tv (setup box) aside from having a better UI?

leninmac likes this.
  14. leninmac

Gaming Apps.

15. raypin

Mm...rewatched the special event last night...Apple Arcade will be great on the Apple TV (the box), starting with 100 plus titles, many exclusive ones, and, during the keynote, the presenter emphasized that the library will be growing bigger (all the time) ....sort of Xbox lite or PS4 lite. Hopefully, the subscription plan or plans will be competitive.

If Apple Arcade succeeds, I expect Apple to introduce a more powerful Apple TV hardware.......Apple console??

16. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Anyway aside from apple arcade and nice UI any other advantage of apple tv if you already have a 2019 model of smart tv like lg and samsung?

Using a ps4 or xbox controller and an apple arcade in an apple tv is good addition but if you will use it for your main gaming console, i dont think they can beat the quality of games of a ps4 and xbox yet.

17. raypin

Mm...differentiators:

1. Aimed at the casual gamer.
    2. Family-friendly.
    3. Just plug and play.
    4. Play arcade on all your Apple devices.
    5. No ads and no in-game purchase.
    6. Much cheaper.

AA is not set-up to appeal to the hard-core PC or console gamers.

18. p.pipster

Installed the new OS' beta version. Looking good.

Was able to pair my son's PS4 controller to the TV. Nice... but no games interest me, yet. Not sure if I'd ever be interested with this. My son hasn't touched it yet so that tells me this will likely be a dud at least at the onset.

Best useable feature so far: ability to switch users on the fly especially for multi-family-member households. But, for me, I find it useful because I can easily switch between my US, CAN, UK and PH accts.

19. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Does apple tv 4k supports hdr10+ or just the regular hdr 10 and dolby vision only?

What are the streaming services that supports hdr 10+ ?

Does apple tv 4k support dts?
    Is it possible for a streaming app to support dts audio? So far what i know is the bluray movies and downloaded movies only support dts. :)

20. hitme64

ATV “still” has support for external hard drives? USB or wifi or none at all?