The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...the ATV does not display streaming speed....it is as you said: the TV displays it.

2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I love it that the aerial screensavers on TV 4K now have captions (or have they always been there?). Though at least one of them is misidentified, one of my faves...

[​IMG]

raypin likes this.
  3. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

4. raypin

Mm...that is to be expected since Apple’s upcoming service will be a direct competitor to Netflix. In any case, there is no more Netflix monopoly in the streaming business. Apple’s and Disney’s entry brings to the field more choice for entertainment. Netflix has imposed price increases these past two years. Netflix subscribers accepted the increase because there was no alternative. With major heavy hitters going for the same business, I hope that it will stop Netflix from imposing more price increases in the future. It is a win for subscribers.

5. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

If apple streaming service is US only for the time being, how will you guys subscribe to the service? Credit cards need to have a US address right?

6. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

been using iTunes gift cards for my US account. i'm hoping same will be the case for this 'new streaming service'.

lamski and raypin like this.
  7. raypin

Mm....my source for iTunes gift card is mycardsupply.com . Been using IGCs since 2008 to fund my iTunes US account. I am 99.99% confident that Apple Movies (or whatever it will be called) will be chargeable against iTunes balance.

Therein lies the advantage of Netflix. Easier to fund locally where it operates (as easy as charging it against smart or globe postpaid account or similar).

If Apple intends to rapidly roll-out its service, it has to replicate the ease of subscription that Netflix affords. So, Apple Movies for the international market. My feeling is Apple will roll-out in the priority markets first, then expand afterwards. Netflix did it right, it is available in most countries (200 countries right now). Its footprint is huge. The objective for Apple is to reach the 2 billion iOS installed base. What can it offer cord-cutters? Bundle Apple Music + Movies with an unbeatable price.

Ultimately, who wins the streaming war will depend on the quality of content.

Apple Music has 56 million subscribers as of May of 2018. It is no. 2 worldwide, next to Spotify. If you look at the pricing of Apple Music, Apple has been very aggressive by price-matching Spotify. I do not see any reason why Apple will not do the same to Netflix. I see Apple aggressively growing its movie streaming service and take away market share away from Netflix. To do so, again, it has to rapidly roll-out its streaming service worldwide. To start, offer a promo rate for existing Apple Music subscriber. That is a huge advantage over Netflix. Why stick with Netflix and a separate music subscription service when you can have just one under Apple? All your music and movies under one plan. If priced right, Apple Movies may end up with a starting subscriber base of 56 million.

That is a huge start for Apple.

Personally, I hope Apple will roll- out a lossless music streaming service like Tidal ( it is indispensable). If Apple expands to lossless, there’s no reason anymore for me to pay 20 bucks a month to Tidal. If Apple’s movie library is as good if not better than Netflix, there’s no reason for me to stick with Netflix. It is a no- brainer to switch.

#2987 raypin, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    greta87, hitme64, SE20 and 2 others like this.
  8. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

Anyone with TPK IPTV subscription using Apple TV here?

9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Would the new streaming service put us out of commission, we the Apple TV milieu would like to know?

10. raypin

Mm...Steve Jobs famously said that Apple has solved the TV. At that time, it was speculated that the Apple TV will morph from a set-top box to an Apple-branded TV. That speculation did not pan out. Perhaps, the streaming service is what he meant, with Apple hardware a secondary concern (with Airplay on non-Apple devices being made available). Apple TV is morphing from a set-top box to a service, which is good because being platform-agnostic is what propelled Netflix to the forefront of streaming services.

hitme64 likes this.
  11. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

^ It may seem that he'd cracked it. He may have figured out the formula or the right model to implement... but what people might have realized is the difficulty of executing it. I'm speculating... he may have thought that working with the movie/TV industry would be as easy as how he did it with the music industry when he made the iTunes the largest digital distributor of music. Let's not forget that when Apple conquered the world with iTunes and the iPod, they virtually had no viable competition. Also, when they swept the world with the iPhone, they were also a league of their own.

Today in streaming TV, Apple would be just another player. How do you make an iPhone-sized success in a market crowded with companies that grew up studying your moves? This is un-chartered territory of Tim and his merry folks at Cupertino.

A lot of people believe that since they have a good market in Apple Music (#2 next to Spotify), they have a lot of iOS users (#2 next to Android) and have the most paying customers (#1), it would be as easy as packaging an Apple TV service + Apple Music + News + etc., and then, bam, you have your best-in-the-world Apple entertainment package. Content is king and, so far, Apple's visual content is sh*t. People follow where there's great content.

I, for one, am using Netflix. I have other streaming apps but I don't consistently use them (I use the trial, maybe pay for a month or 2 and then abandon). Netflix is the only thing constant on my Apple TV. I still buy iTunes movies but only those my family would like to re-watch. So, basically, the only reason why I still have the Apple TV is because I can play Netflix on it and I have my iTunes movies there and it plays well with my phone. I've held on to this for 3 years now. If somehow tomorrow it decides to no longer work, I am likely going to get another streamer but not an Apple TV. Hell, I might as well just get a smart TV that has Netflix. Why would I buy another Apple TV that's just too expensive if I'm just going to watch Netflix most of the time?

Whatever they are announcing next week better be mind blowing not just aesthetics-wise but also business-model-wise. Apple is in the market for another, well, market. Personal/professional computing is shrinking, mobile phones are stagnating, health is looking good with the Apple Watch but that will take a little while to gain iPod-level success, VR/AR is just hype for now and autonomous vehicles are too problematic for now as well. Streaming is THE market at least for the next 5 years. They have to get this right.

leninmac and raypin like this.
  12. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, if it doesn't pan out, they can always say it was "just a hobby". LOL!

Anyway, it's nice to look back at what Steve Jobs said at All Things Digital 2010 about the problem of innovation with regards to the television (starting at the 1:31:39 mark):

13. raypin

14. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

@raypin mycardsupply.com isn't working for me...

I use Amazon for my US iTunes account gift card needs... I gift it to myself =) Wait for sales (15%) during holidays...

15. raypin

Mm...I just tested it now. Took 5 minutes to receive via email the iTunes Gift card from mygiftcardsupply.com. Used my iPhone camera to redeem the code. No prob.

69404C28-E6B9-490E-8B39-590C4B54B611.jpeg

Edit: I posted the wrong url. Sorry.

It should be this one:

https://www.mygiftcardsupply.com/

#2995 raypin, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    lamski likes this.