The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Same. I got a 4K Smart TV with horrible interface.

I have set a budget for home theater and the only way to get it is to get a cheaper 4K TV. Sound quality is more important to me as well as being able to play music while TV is off.

10k Hisense Smart + 9k ATV + Sonos Surround = 1 VERY NICE QLED/OLED TV

Glad I dodged that bullet because guess what? Netflix conpresses their 4K streams to the point that HD-quality Blu-ray are higher in bitrate (15mbps versus 20mbps)

Also, Think of it as getting iOS fluidity on any TV plus the control center interface on iOS 11.4 and up is just genius.

Again, you’ll appreciate it once you have it. No joke.

#2901 rdy0329, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

So both of you are saying na kahit na may 4k tv na ako its still better to watch netflix and youtube via apple tv because of the interface and also picture quality din po ba?
    I have samsung mu6303 curved tv..
    I think this is just an entry level 4k tv.

3. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Lots of TV shows on sale on the US iTunes store! Finally bought season 2 and 3 of Penny Dreadful.
    Thinking of getting the Breaking Bad complete seasons or the Battlestar Galactica complete seasons.

Sunil_K likes this.
  4. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Sd20 and rdy0329, in terms of picture quality, mas maganda po ba manood ng netflix sa apple tv than in my built in smart tv?
    Mas sharper and detailed po ba ung image pag sa apple tv manood po ng mga 4k movies ng netflix?

5. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

Nope. Video quality on netflix will be primarily dependent on your internet connection and TV.

raypin likes this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...just upgraded from 3rd gen ATV to 4K Apple TV from Power Mac (meron unasked discount of Php500.00). Sticking with Apple TV for the sleek interface of TV OS and seamless interface with my iPad and iPhone...and to easily control/navigate my growing subscription services (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, Tidal and VUDU). I briefly considered Roku but Apple is still the best streamer.

This will be my third Apple TV since 2008. My first gen ATV, dated but it still works flawlessly.

#2906 raypin, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  7. dynaflex

dynaflex Member

I got my ATV 4K last December. I use it watching Youtube videos via screen mirroring from my iPad or iPhone. Being a Netflix subscriber , i watch movies & tv series too.

8. joethemobile01

Is your SlingTV app works fine? Mine it opens then loading then crash (go back to home screen). Im using tvOS 12 Beta 4.

9. raypin

Mm...SlingTV is fine now (streaming speed has gone up). No crash or glitch on either the ATV 4K or iPads. Resolution is SD to HD, depending on the Live TV program or channel. I am presently satisfied with Sling TV service via Getflix Hong Kong DNS.

An unexpected problem popped out. Amazon Prime Video works on my 3rd gen ATV and iPads (Pro and 2017) but not on my ATV 4K. Getting error 1066. Trying to find solution. In the meantime, I have to Airplay it to access APV.

Vudu runs beautifully. No issue. Bought the 8-film 4K Harry Potter bundle.

It could be a VPN issue (cause of crash).

————————

Next project (after recently upgrading to 4K tv) is 4K Projector for my cinema room. Should make a fine pairing with the ATV 4K. Prices of very good, entry-level 4K projectors are very attractive (about the same as a full HD/1080p a year or two ago). Also, have to replace my old 5.1 system (circa 2011). 7 year service is long enough.

#2909 raypin, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  10. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Should i turn on or off the option of hdmi uhd on my samsung tv when connecting the apple tv?

11. raypin

mm...you have two eyes, just like the rest of us. TEST IT and see if your eyes can discern an improvement in picture quality.

12. joethemobile01

Reached out to them and they said they do not support beta OS so, basically, I'm stuck right now until tvOS 12 is released, lol. It used to be fine just lame they don't want to own the issue. Unsubscribed for the meantime and got Hulu Live TV temporarily 30 days trial lol

#2912 joethemobile01, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    raypin likes this.
  13. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

It's a valid excuse on their part to shrug it off as a beta instability though. Many developers, at most, release a build that would allow their app to run, but it won't be free of issues stretching as far as breaking actual intended functionality of the app. Using resources to try and put out fixes immediately when beta OS can change drastically in the subsequent builds is too risky, and may put users into the one mindset that it's normal for developers to support betas when they're literally at the mercy of Apple sporadically taking out necessary APIs that makes this or that possible, or making radical changes to them. I'd say developers that support beta OS is considered a bonus, and good on them for doing so, but similarly, it's understandable when other developers refuse to. The risks unfortunately doesn't offset the gains.

The ones usually putting out support for beta OS are indies that don't have the resources of big corps to have their own staff testing the app(s), and in the event that they do, testing may be held privately amongst selected users.

A good example is Keyboard Maestro, they try putting out fixes, but for the past two or three builds of macOS each release keeps messing with their app. Users inevitably blame the developer for failing to properly support an app running on unstable beta software.

There are many apps, too, that hasn't been updated to run specifically on beta 1 but does anyway, only to break when beta 2 comes out. It's always a wild ride with these things. As a case in point, a certain app worked for me, but not for a friend, when us both ran the same beta OS build. It may have been the apps we run that introduced the issue, or it's just the OS being a dick. At that point we know basically fuck all about it (unless we fancy wasting time figuring out why) and the other person just loads a bootable clone.

For Apple TV apps, though, ugh… I can't imagine it being any better.

#2913 Edelheid, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Anmi likes this.
  14. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Same lang bato ng content ng Netflix sa ATV o sa SmartTV mo. Just get ATV if you want a better interface and seamless integration with your Apple products.