The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. textguru

textguru Member

thinking of getting Apple TV4K and makes me think, how popular/useable it is in Philippines? Initially thinking of Google Chromecast 2 as I have mixed iOS/Android users at home.

My intended use is for me to be able to watch iFlix/Netflix, Cast video/pictures, and even think of a replacement for gaming console if in the near future, saw lots of games already but not sure if its worth to buy Apple TV in Philippines.

2. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Might not be a good buy for you based on your intended use cases.

– no iFlix app; you can't even AirPlay from your iOS app
    – casting videos and pictures work well using AirPlay; works well with your other iOS devices but can't say the same with other devices
    – forget gaming

However, with regard to quality content: at this pt, Apple Movies' (iTunes) 4K HDR content is second to none, coupled with Netflix's UHD and of course a stable firehose of a broadband and you are in for a treat; to some, this alone is worth it.

3. joethemobile01

I don't think its worth if you are only using it on those services only. Apple TV has few games and might be good to get a real gaming consolve intead. Luckily I have relatives in the US and used their cable TV logins so I can watch US based channels, ofcourse you need to use a VPN or a Smart DNS subscripton to stream them in the Philippines.

4. textguru

textguru Member

thanks for the feedback... really help me think if i will use option 2

5. textguru

textguru Member

wow man... your lucky. thanks for the feedback

6. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

So just found out that the PH now has Fox+ and DisneyLife. Meaning it's available in the PH store not that not being available has been a barrier. But it now can be billed to PH iTunes accts and PH cards.

And, get this, Apple TV apps are also available!

Apple TVs in the PH are a little more useful.

For me, I'm in a conundrum. I cannot use those new apps/services through my DNS services since they are PH geo restricted. If I remove my DNS, I can no longer use my UK and US geo restricted services – BBC iPlayer (FIFA!!), PBS, Smithsonian, etc.

Oh, boy.

7. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Hi im planning to get an apple tv..
    Meron na kasi akong smart tv, kaso ung smart tv ko basic apps lang meron like netflix, iflix youtube....
    However meron kasi mga streaming apps na hindi pa pede sa chromecast din thats why ask ko sana if pag sa apple tv ba literal lahat ng streaming apps will be mirrored at your tv at kung malinaw naman... as in hd quality din ba e produce nya...

Anu pa ba ang advantage ng apple tv if i already have a smart tv?

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...main advantage is you will be able to access Apple content (movies, tv shows etc.) for rent or purchase, some in ultra HD or 4K resolution. Take a look at Apple content (apps, Movies, tv shows etc. ) so you can decide if it is worth buying an Apple TV.

My recommendation is to go for Apple TV 4K. Future proofing. 8K Apple TV is on the horizon (likely) but it will be quite some time before a good number of 8K content will be available.

There are also rumors of Apple content subscription that will compete with Netflix.

#2888 raypin, Jul 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 3:39 PM
  9. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Ok tnx for that info..
    Another question is lahat ba ng streaming apps like i want tv, fox+, cignal play... pede e mirror sa apple tv?

Cause one thing na binabalak ko is there is an app na sky on demand (skycable live streaming on the go app sya) pede kasi e stream dun ang abs cbn hd, pero hindi ko sya ma e connect sa tv.. so balak ko e stream sya sa iphone ko then e mirror sa apple tv.. would that be possible?

10. raypin

Mmm..you mean Airplay? If so, you can screen mirror to your TV or Airplay to your TV any content from your iPhone or iPad through the Apple TV. Again, check if the streaming app that you want to use is available for the Apple TV. If not, check for compatibility for the iPhone or iPad and Airplay (preferred) it (or screen mirror as a last resort) to your TV via the Apple TV.

11. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

To be exact gusto ko sana e airplay or screen mirror ung sky on demand app...

How to know po ba if available sya sa airplay?

12. raypin

13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Yup exactly that app..
    So pede po sya e download sa apple tv din mismo?

Cause im planning to stream abs cbn hd in my tv using this app .

14. raypin

Mm...no. It is not compatible. You need the iPhone or the iPad to use Skyondemand app and then screen mirror or Airplay it via the Apple TV to your HDTV. Verify it by dropping by at any of the authorized Apple reseller which has the Apple TV on demo.

15. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I tried it, and it works as @raypin says, but there’s no ABS-CBN HD channel, only selected news and entertainment shows.

raypin likes this.
  16. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Panu nyu po sya sinubukan? Via air play po ba or may app na sky on demand for apple tv?

May abs cbn hd po sa sky on demand na live streaming i took a screenshot po from my ipad.

Attached Files:

17. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

Yes you can screen mirror Sky OnDemand. I don’t have an Apple TV but my Amazon Fire TV can function like an Apple TV thru a third-party app.

A few things to point out:

• Don’t expect 1080p High Def streams. Sky OnDemand does stream above 480p but still it doesn’t feel like you’re watching in high def. Maybe the quality isn’t high def because content was meant to be seen on your mobile device, not really on TV.
    • Screen mirroring from an iPad will show black bars on the side so it’s better to use an iPhone to screen mirror.
    • Sometimes the stream stops. My guess is Sky’s servers just isn’t that reliable.

I’m guessing the SkyOnDemand app doesn’t have Chromecast and Airplay support because they want their subscribers getting their digibox that has the SkyOnDemand feature if you want to watch on TV.

18. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

UHD alone is worth it for me. Other new features are added niceties.

19. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

But if you have a smart uhd tv, mas maganda parin ba mag stream ng 4k sa apple tv than the built in ng smart tv like for example netflix or youtube, may pinagkaiba pa po ba yun?

20. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I prefer using my TV 4K for Netflix and Youtube than watching those through my Smart TV, which is also 4K. I find the TV interface and overall maneuverability more to my liking. The exception is HDR content, which I watch directly on my TV.

The TV is also a constant travel companion.

Also, to close the loop on your earlier question, yes I can stream Skyondemand through my TV, though it only takes up part of the screen.

#2900 SE20, Jul 19, 2018 at 8:07 PM
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018 at 8:15 PM