The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

indeed, all i needed to do was to update the software on the ATV4. ("automatic update" was on, but i was surprised to find that an update was waiting--had to click the update manually.) all okay now with the remote app, thanks, nino!

kyubi likes this.
  2. drdom

drdom Member

I've only used unblock the past few years and only watch Netflix. Very good service.
    But since Netflix isn't blocked anymore I have unsubscribed.

3. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

None of the above :p Using Unotelly for years, had no issues streaming media (US accounts) for almost everything.

4. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

You tried all the steps here?

Does it show any errors? Could also be a firewall issue with your router if its enabled.

5. drdom

drdom Member

Working now.

Like penmanila, I too had the automatic update on. I initially checked for an update the first time I connected the ATV to a TV and it said software up to date. When the remote app didn't work I checked again it said there was an update and I just proceeded to to install it and left the ATV to do its thing. The following day I tried the remote app again and still it didn't work. That's when I posted here.

Just today, I checked for an update again and it said there was. So I again continued to install it, but this time I waited for it to install completely.... It didn't. I had to turn off automatic update and install manually. That fixed the problem and remote app now works.

I think there may be a problem with automatic update being turned on. I've kept it on for now and will wait and see if that's been fixed by the update as well. No real way to test it until a new update is available.

6. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Just upgraded to a 4th gen Apple TV from Beyond The Box, up from my old 3rd gen, which was already a bit wonky and acting up. It's a bit thicker than I'd like, but the changes are welcome. I especially like the Siri Remote, and the fact that my ATV now does apps! The menu navigation is way faster too. Anyway, it's nothing you haven't heard before. Just wanted to make kwento.

7. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Hey guys, if I plan to use the Apple TV for streaming, will the 3rd Gen suffice? I just don't want to add the extra wear on my PS4. I'm really enjoying watching Netflix and Hulu. I use TVunblock.com for my free VPN.

8. sem_rs

sem_rs Member

guys help me decide if it is still worthy to get the 3rd gen apple tv here in the philipiines? does it have free channels that can be watched?

#2628 sem_rs, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....from Apple:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204153

And with VPN/DNS services, you can access content from overseas. See Netflix/Getflix thread for solutions. It is worth it if you have: 1. fast internet speed 2. You watch a lot of TV programs. 3. Of course, you can use it to access iTunes content and watch your favorite movies (rent or buy).

10. sem_rs

sem_rs Member

do you think i my dsl plan upto 3 mbps would suffice? my average dowload speedtest is 2.4 to 3.0mbps,
    the built in youtube app tv plays well on my tv.

#2630 sem_rs, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

12. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Anybody here experience this error while doing AirPlay?

An unknown error occured (-11800)

Some music on my iPhone will not play and display that error message but some will play fine.
    And all of these music play nicely on my car via bluetooth.

13. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

I have the same speed as yours. SD is no problem. 720p I can get away with from time to time but you can't use your connection for anything else while playing it

14. sem_rs

sem_rs Member

san bang store may demo unit nito?
    i tried to call their toll free number hindi nman sila sure kun ano ang built in apps or channels ng 3rd generation they keep on telling me about the 4th

15. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

The apps/channels available to you will depend on what country your iTunes account is set in. 4th Gen may have more options though because it will have apps made specifically for aTV.

My 3rd gen is working fine with a 3Mbps connection. I don't have a 4k TV yet so 720p and SD still looks good when I stream Netflix or Hulu. Still clearer on my aTV3 compared to watching on my Android based media player.

16. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Noticed this when watching Netflix on my PS3 or Xbox One vs Apple devices (Apple TV 3rd or 4th, iPad, iPhone). Netflix on the Apple devices was much better than on the consoles, less buffering and higher resolution. Read somewhere that it was because Netflix streaming on Apple devices uses a different CDN (content delivery network). Not sure how reliable that explanation is, but it certainly seems feasible.

jcsantamarina likes this.
  17. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

This (CDN) may be the reason why I'm having Getflix issues with my aTV3 now compared to viewing on my other devices. I'll try out the other regions later. Might be able to make it work.

18. wem272

wem272 Active Member

Have the older apple tv and the new apple tv. The new apple tv most practical feature for me is the app called plex which can stream movies from content loaded on a remote device (PC). No need to have another IOS device and Airplaying it to the Apple tv.

PatrickGaerlan likes this.
  19. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

Yep. I'm using plex also and that's why I bought the apple TV. Plex server installed on a synology Nas.

wem272 and PatrickGaerlan like this.
  20. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Plex is life-changing ;) The Plex client on Apple TV is my favorite version -- "Rewind 10 seconds."

wem272 and ikitub like this.