The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ratburn

ratburn Member

Do you guys know where I can get the new Apple TV online aside from the Apple Store Philippines? Shipping takes a long time if I order from the Apple Store

2. Nino Salas

Nino Salas New Member

At A Shop in Digital Exchange of Glorietta

3. speeds

speeds Active Member

Saw them also at PowerMac and iStudio. Better call them.

4. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Hey guys just bought my apple tv today (mainly to play plex). Anyway just a couple of questions 1) whats the best vpn service to use with it and 2) anybody know where I can buy the remote strap?

5. acidboy

acidboy New Member

hi guys, I need some help...

so I bought an ATV4 and hooked it up on my network. I removed the ATV3, set it up, and manually placed the DNS based on Unlocator's instruction. Unfortunately it didn't work as the other channels like Hulu and Netflix aren't showing. Tested and re-did everything again a few more times and it still didn't work. So I removed the ATV4 and plugged in the ATV3 again, but this time I could see all the American channels but I couldn't play any one of them. I redid the set up again based on Unlocator's instructions but it still doesn't work. What's peculiar is I could still watch the channels I subscribed to on my Mac.

anyone have any idea how to fix this? thanks.

6. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Check the Apple ID you're using. It should be the same as the one in you ATV3 or a US Apple ID.

7. acidboy

acidboy New Member

Thanks. I checked.. still using my (Philippine based) Apple ID which works fine naman before and in my Mac.

8. zChris

zChris Active Member

How is your Plex on ATV4 experience so far? Are you using a NAS as your PMS or a PC? Specifically, do you see any transcoding happening on your PMS, resulting in higher CPU utilization?

I just got an ATV4 as well but my NAS is doing a consistency check as I just replaced a faulty HDD and all the NAS apps are unusable as Volume Utilization in the NAS is 100% while the consistency check is ongoing. I am pretty excited to see if ATV performance on Plex is better now.

Previously, I tested an ATV3 using PlexConnect and transcoding was happening on the NAS, resulting in 100% CPU utilization on the NAS and freezing video as a result. I am hoping that the ATV4 is able to natively transcode content better than the previous model and Plex on ATV4 becomes usable for me.

9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Was it fixed? How about the region and your US iTunes account.

10. unlawyer

unlawyer New Member

I'm currently subscribed to HBO Now, Hulu, and Netflix through Getflix, using a 3rd generation Apple TV and a 4 Mbps connection. So far I get 720p-ish quality most of the time.

For the free-to-air stuff I'm planning to get a digital TV box. I'll also re-install a C-band satellite dish that was felled by a storm over a year ago.

So far I'm a happy cable cutter.

11. Airmaxone

Airmaxone Active Member

I was suppose to buy the new version of apple tv but decided to get google chromecast instead.

12. ygee

ygee Member

Can anyone confirm if there's an iFlix App in the Apple TV App Store? I'm planning on getting one if there is.

13. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

none in the US app store

14. drdom

drdom Member

I tried back reading a bit but didn't see anyone else ask...

I can't seem to use the remote app on my iPhone to control the new TV but works fine on my old Apple TV.
    Is the pairing process different?
    TIA

15. speeds

speeds Active Member

Remote app doesn't work on the new Apple TV for now. This are some cons of ATV 4

16. drdom

drdom Member

Must be some sort of glitch... I clicked on the walk through email Apple sent and saw this.
    Hope they fix it soon. It's a pain typing on the on-screen keyboard.

Attached Files:

17. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i can confirm that the remote app doesn't work on the ATV4. the installation process says it could, but when you get to the ATV4 settings, it just isn't seen.

18. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Had no problems using the remote app with the AT4, make sure both devices are updated. The latest tvOS 9.1 was released last month to support the remote app. Been using the app with no problems, that is if cant find the actual remote :p

There are two options anyway (Add Device or Home Sharing) so you have an option if one doesn't work immediately.

19. drdom

drdom Member

I've updated both my phone and the TV but still I can't pair the phone as a remote. Either as add device or in home sharing (yes, I'm using the same Apple ID on the TV and phone).

20. jawo

jawo Member

good afternoon! among the three, which would you recommend? getflix, blockless or unblock-us? please feel free to suggest other options other than the ones mentioned. thank you!