The 2021 iPad (9th generation)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ice, Sep 15, 2021.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

2. ice

I can see a few reasons why Apple decided to keep the 9th Gen iPad as it is.

I've seen a lot of establishments use the iPad as their menu, POS machine and staff guide/manual. Having the lightning port changed by a USB-C port will be a big hassle to business.
    *home button also makes it easier for Seniors to use the device

It's also the perfect tablet for those who just want something cheap.

I was hoping they'd get rid of the first gen pencil support. I'm sure they can find a way to make the 2nd Gen Pencil work with the old case.

3. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

It caters to those who are using their Apple devices with their muscle memory, so its great to have the option still available around just like the iPhone SE.
    The real new* iPad with updated form factor in truth is the iPad Air, I mean the Air should be the thinnest and lightest line(s) among Apple products right? But that isn't the case for the iPad models esp with the iPad Mini and iPad are a lot lighter than it. :whistle:

4. levijones

levijones Member

Faster processor (by only 20%, but still), 64GB base model (vs 32), Center Stage on the front camera (12 MP ultrawide), all for the same price. Its great value for those with basic needs.

I’ve been using the iPad 8th gen for 10 months now for browsing, media consumption and video calls with family across the globe. Love it, but I’m a little envious of the 9th gen especially Center Stage.

ilovemickydees likes this.
  5. ice

I still think it remains "unchanged" due to mass orders from businesses.

JPN, HKG and SG. Majority of restaurants use an "iPad" to take your orders. (its been a constant joke among our friends in SG whenever I say "Android is more user friendly" - they ask me how I order my ramen? -> my wife and daughter does it for me!)
    Majority of small business use an iPad for their POS
    Delivery/Construction guys (outside PH) use an iPad

Imagine how big an impact it would be to businesses if Apple suddenly decided to "upgrade the size, shape and cable" of the iPad. Although, I'm hoping the 10th Gen gets a big update

My wife has an 8th Gen mounted in her kitchen and it looks old.

(I know this is philmug, but we have to admit that Apple's PH market is small compared to our neighbors)

6. levijones

levijones Member

Official pricing now availabe: Apple Store PH
    Php 19,990 for 64GB (higher than 8th gen’s base price by Php 1000)
    Php 28,990 for 256GB

7. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Apart from the iPhone 13s, the iPad probably was the most underwhelming refresh announced last night. But I understand Apple’s decision.

There will always be an iPad catered to the masses. It will always have old tech ( lightning cable, home button, Apple Pencil 1) otherwise it will cannibalize the iPad Pro. Don’t get me wrong, there will always be a market for the iPad Pro, the power users, those who want the most storage, but it’s getting more and more difficult to justify its cost considering you can buy an iPad that can do 90% of its task at the fraction of the cost.

I still believe the sweet spot is the iPad Mini. It’s the most portable, it has support for the current Apple Pencil and it’s still not that expensive. That’s why I can’t understand why Apple neglected it for years. The last major refresh we had for the Mini was…. Oh wait there never a major refresh. :D:D

raypin likes this.
  8. ice

I noticed (in Singapore) that Indians love the iPad Pro, and it will always come with the magic keyboard and pencil.

We were already making jokes about them especially in meetings that they'll need extra space as the iPad Pro will be beside their ThinkPad.

Even while drinking after office at CBD, I feel that they'll always find a way to steer the conversation where they can pull that iPad Pro from their bags :D

I used to be a fan of the Mini until Apple released Sidecar.

9. levijones

levijones Member

Macrumors confirms that the iPad 9th gen has 3GB of RAM, same as the 7th and 8th gen iPads. Link to article