The 2019 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Salaryman Ryan, Jun 4, 2019.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Apparently, Apple cannot upgrade their trash can so they did it instead with the cheese grater :whistle:

But because this is a very expensive cheese grater, so we the hoi polloi can only watch and dream about it. I have no qualms about not getting one, but I have seen professional gamers build $6K-8K boxy rigs that are better looking than the cheese grater.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...actually it is laudable for Apple to go back to the box design for the chassis. It is the most efficient form factor for upgrading components and increases the longevity of the new Mac Pro. The options are awesome. Every component except for the mobo or motherboard are upgradeable. Just remove and then plug in the new components. For entities investing anywhere from usd 12k to 35k, that is a huge bonus. As for the cheese grater front grill, well, at the end of the day what makes the new Mac Pro beautiful is not what is on the outside but what is in the inside.

I like the design. Others hate it.

I wonder when the local dealers will show this off. I d like to touch it and experience the best of Apple engineering.

Oh...it has tax benefits as well for companies purchasing the Mac Pro. This falls capital expenditures (under expense). Legitimate deductible (as an expense) and legitimate equipment depreciation charge (periodic expense chargeable against revenue).

#42 raypin, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    hitme64 and jayparalejas like this.
  3. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Member

Even if this Mac is sadly not for me this is a good sign for the Mac. It shows that Apple still has some sort of investment in the future of the Macs for professional use.

hitme64 and Salaryman Ryan like this.
  4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Although the general consensus among Mac lovers and users is that its unfortunate that the Mac Pro was intentionally made not for their market segment I remain optimistic, like in the world of dedicated cameras where the technology of halo flagship cameras eventually find its way to the low end, I believe ultimately a lot of the technology of the Mac Pro will find its way to the MBP, Mac Minis and iMac lines. Same with Apple's XDR screen tech, I expect somewhere down the line a some of those features will be implemented on the screens of Apple products.

JohannChua, Qin Zhi and hitme64 like this.
  5. hitme64

We of the lower centrifugal force of society can’t afford Mac Pros, just Mac Poor for us.

Juice and ronnel0918 like this.
  6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

For the curious. Here is a good video that explains the value proposition of the XDR display

Aargh, raypin and jayparalejas like this.
  7. snipes

snipes Active Member

It’s cheap compared to monitors of that caliber.

It is at a price point that does not align with 99% of Mac users requirements.

Smart move on Apple's part to cut out the fat and go for the core Mac Pro users.

This fella has it right about the Mac Pro and XDR display.

For reasons of economies of scale I do not think they’ll change the the design until 2029

#47 snipes, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    raypin likes this.
  8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Good review, BUT it did not talk about Afterburner, which IMO is the standout—albeit optional—feature of the Mac Pro. FPGA is the future. An FPGA chip is essentially a programmable chip—which means that the chip circuitry can be "rewired" via software. This has a lot of pro uses, particularly in real-time DSP (digital signal processing). The obvious ones are in video, say for real-time transcoding of RAW video formats (yay, no more ProRes proxies for me). It can also be used in audio. For instance, in theory, the $10,000 DAC (Chord DAVE) of @raypin, which is mostly FPGA inside, can be functionally replicated with the Afterburner's FPGAs. But, of course, no one will do that because there are other elements in DACs (balanced analog outputs, etc.) beyond sheer DSP. But Afterburner, in principle, can be used for anything that could use custom DSP, particularly for processing massive amounts of real-time data—pattern recognition, stock market, weather, space, military, etc.—definitely not consumer use.

BTW, @raypin, did you see the headphones and headphone amp of the video reviewer? I bet you have one of those e-stats, huh? :)

I know software developers abroad who make more than $10,000/month, which makes Mac Pro a reasonable investment for pro use. Yes, one could build a comparable PC for less. But enterprises look at TCO (total cost of ownership), which includes the overhead/trade-off of maintaining cheaper solutions. My wife's office was shut down twice in the last year due to security breaches (virus) on—what else?—Windows machines. Think about that: two days of downtime—not one computer, but an entire office. How 'ya liking your cheap solution now? :p

raypin likes this.
  9. snipes

snipes Active Member

If it has an FPGA then could it be programmed for Nintendo 64 games? :)

10. hitme64

Hey look! I may not have moolah to buy the new Mac Pro but I can have the cheese grater on me anywhere...
    1FD6D17B-11CC-4F45-ADB5-EE9BB08E884B.png

rbenzon likes this.
  11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

ronnel0918, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  12. raypin

Mm....which is why I reject the BOM analysis of that well known tech vlogger. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. You can make the argument that the retail cost of the individual components equals 50 to 60% of the price of the Mac Pro, giving Apple a nice, comfortable gross margin. But what is not factored in the BOM analysis is the reliability and durability of the components that Apple put into the Mac Pro. You also have the backing of Apple. Downtime is not an option for mission critical apps. You lose clients. Revenues are affected.

The alternative is to assemble your own for half the price with little or no hardware support for a business where time is critical.

13. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

One good thing with the release of this new Mac Pro is the support for AMD Radeon Vega GPU cards.

It will make most GPU intensive application like Adobe Premiere Pro to optimize their software for AMD Radeon.

Imagine having higher performance with cheaper AMD Radeon Vega cards than expensive Nvidia GTX cards.

14. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

is it just me... those holes is triggering my trypophobia...

well anyway continue the good discussion guys :)

15. matanglawin

matanglawin Member

Yet, how much are you willing to bet that PC vendors would copy this?

16. raypin

Mm...copy sure. Equalled...never.

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Supposedly a real ad (or in-store label/poster?) in Ikea Bulgaria.

[​IMG]
    Bulgar, ya? ;)

The grater is really from Ikea's Idealisk series of kitchen accessories. But notice the "i" on iDEALISK? :)