Testing a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by Nio, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Nio

Nio New Member

Hi guys, I'm not sure if I posted this in the right categry. I do apologize in advance if I did.

Anyway, I've been on a Windows OS ever since and I'm only now deciding to transfer to the MacOS. I'm planning to get a new Macbook Pro (2017) non touch bar.

I just wanted to ask how to check the laptop for any defects (software and hardware) so i could see if there are any problems and if there are I'd be able to return it and replace within the return period.

Thank you in advance to everyone who will answer, I appreciate it.

2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

are you planning to buy now?

MacRumors has it labelled "Do Not Buy" - Updates Soon

I'm note sure how you buy Macs there (in PHL). Here in SG, I got mine sealed.

Basically, for testing... I check if everything is working. No physical defects on the body and screen...

4. Nio

Nio New Member

Thank you! That's a helpful link you gave. Yes, I am getting a brand new Macbook Pro.

5. Nio

Nio New Member

I am getting one within the week, yes. Although that link you gave just made me think twice hehe. I did expect a laptop update during Apple's March 27 event and since there was none I decided maybe I should get one already. Thanks

6. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

MacBook cycles usually are Early 2018, Mid 2018 and Late 2018.

7. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Member

I also believe that there’s going to be an updated (spec bump) macbook this June in WWDC. The last time they updated the Macbook Pro line was last June 2017, I think.

8. Nio

Nio New Member

Sorry, I'm not sure what this means. Is that the production times? Or release of new versions? Hehe sorry, I'm new to this.

9. Nio

Nio New Member

That's correct sir but some say its because the 2016 version was rushed and had lots of flaws so they released a 2017 version last June. Im not sure though, might be a rumor hehe

10. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Member

This is my suggestion though... If you badly needed a new laptop right now then get a Macbook. But if you can wait until June, then wait. Hahahaha

There will always be a “newer, better” version of everything.

I have the Mid 2017 15” rMBP w/ touchbar (this is the version released last June 2017) and I’m loving every single thing about it. I learned to embrace the compromises and sacrifices (all USB-C port, no Magsafe, no SD card, the keyboard & the very controversial touchbar) that Apple made to make this Macbook the future and now I believe I see it as an advantage instead of disadvantage.

11. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

They release MB in general in increments about 3x a year. One is an improved/refined version of the other