Techtool Pro 4

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Revenant, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Revenant

Revenant Guest

Anyone here has used this program?

Meron daw disk optimizing, parang PC, pero many people say na Macs don't need optimizing. Which is which ba? I used to optimize and defragment my PCs every month, pero I never needed sa Mac. If its not important, bakit meron feature na to sa Techtool. Very confusing.

Anyway, just want to know if anyone had experience with this program, and if its a good buy. I looked at reviews sa internet, pero magulo - some like it, some dont, pero di ko naman kilala tong mga to. He he.

2. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

I have a prior version. Ver. 3.
    It came with Apple Care for my Albook.

There are other useful utilities on the program to check your hardware (i.e. RAM, CPU, Video Card, etc.). As for the disk optimizing portion, I myself am not sure if it is required or not as I too have heard the same things that you have. :roll:

3. Henjie

Henjie Active Member

I use TechTool Pro all the time. The hardware and drive tests are pretty good. I also use it to defragment my hard drives (usually once every two months).

OS X 10.3 (Panther) apparently has a built-in file defragmentation routine, but it only works for files up to 20MB in size. Not an adequate solution if you're say, a graphics artist or a video editor with lots of large files or just someone who wants to defragment your whole drive. IMHO, TechTool Pro 4's defrag routine is really good.

$100 is an okay price for TTP4, as long as you use all of its features (hardware tests, drive tests, etc. etc.). Pair it up with Alsoft's DiskWarrior and you'll have the perfect combo to keep your hard drive/s "healthy". ;-)

~Henjie

4. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

I have TTPro 4 myself, but I've more or less shelved it. Defragmenting doesn't work all too well with journaled file systems (it asks you to disable it while optimizing).

Some of the features I use TTPro for is the emergency drive (eDrive) and the volume protection/recovery facility. It doesn't protect files fully, but I guess I'm also to blame as I don't update the protection database file as often. By default, its set to run every 4 hours, but I found that it seriously taxes the performance of my iBook.

5. Henjie

Henjie Active Member

Yup, that's true.

What I like about TechTool Pro's defrag feature (as well as that of Drive 10 and Norton Speed Disk) is that apart from defragging files, it also defrags free space which helps a lot in video editing.

But overall, I feel that defragging/optimizing the drive directory is much more important so buy DiskWarrior first and TechTool Pro 4 second. :)

~Henjie

6. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

I've been using TechTool Pro 4 (version 4.0.2 now, after a recent patch) for a few weeks now, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand its nice to have a seemingly comprehensive system and disk maintanance software, but on the other, it takes time doing its thing, and sometimes you wonder what the hell its doing that's taking so long.

It's been rebuilt from scratch to run natively on OS X, and it took forever to be released. The interface is nice but a bit clunky and a bit cluttered for my taste. It features 'suites' that lump together kinds of tests, depending on how lazy you are to configure your own sets.

[​IMG]

The first time I optimized and defragged my main disk (40gb) it literally took the best part of a day. I started it early in the morning and it ended late in the afternoon. But it seemed snappier and more responsive afterwards, although defragging and optimizing won't be things I'll do often.

The best part about this new version is the eDrive thing. Instead of you using the provided bootable CD so you can repair your boot drive, you can create a new and separate partition on your system that you can reboot from, and where you can run TTP4 from. It creates this new 4gb partition WITHOUT asking you to repartition and reinitialize your hard disk. It creates a new one by clearing a 4gb space, partitioning the disk right then and there(!) to separate this space, and format and create a bare bones bootable partition where TT4 resides. While you wait. Galing.

This is cool for a mobile system, so you can fix things on the road, on the fly, even if you don't have the TTP CD with you - repairing from which, by the way, is a damn slow process, desktop or mobile.

I'm using TTP4 now to monitor another hard disk which seems to be failing, according to the S.M.A.R.T. status reports. So far so good.

At $99, TechTool Pro 4 is a little steep, but worth it anyway, if only for the peace of mind.

7. kapemuna

kapemuna Member

I've read in many mac sites that newer hard disks do'nt need to be to defragmented. Pero ako, I still do, especially, before a major video project.

Oh yes, it's true that it takes a long time to do its tasks. I use version 4.0.1. Pero what the heck, Techtool assures me na nothing will go wrong with my system in the middle of work. $99 para sa peace of mind? Ok lang, if you can afford it.

8. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

I've noticed some video professionals dedicate a spare hard disk just to act as a "scratch space." When a project is done, all they have to do is reformat/reinitialize the drive so its ready for use again. No need to wait to have the disk defragmented for free space.

Granted, its costly, not to mention you're "wasting space." :dry:

9. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

I agree, reformat/initialze is a better option for video projects. Going back to Techtool Pro, I found it more useful in for pre OSX system. DiskWarrior on the other hand is a charm.

[Edited on 6-14-2004 by peter_ob]

10. katsch

katsch Member

near death experience for a 120gB Seagate Barracuda

said disk drive inside an MDD dual giga PowerMac G4, was being optimized by TechTool Pro 4 when i shut it off. (optimization was begun about 12 hours ago and i was getting really irritated)

it refused to appear on the desktop again.

senco link engineer erwin reyes used Norton on Classic mode and it is back on my desktop again.

patience is indeed a virtue...;)

[Edited on 11-11-04 by katsch]