Tech or trend you wish never became obsolete or didn't go out of style

Discussion in 'General OT' started by oj88, Apr 9, 2019.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

We still use them in church, as I am the head of the audio/visual team, to communicate with stagehands and techies. Also useful on motorcades and when we're out camping. We have about close to a dozen Baofengs in the inventory. Handheld Transceivers (HTs) are best when there's a frequent need to do one-to-many broadcasts in real time. Not to mention their importance during disasters when utility power and/or the cellular infrastructure are compromised.

I was also a Ham on 2m back in my high school days, sporting an Icom 02N and 02AT HTs coupled to a 5W to 80W linear amp, and a 28H in my dad's car.

Speaking of cars, it was a 5-dr Toyota Starlet with a semi-souped up 4K engine (originally had a 3K engine). Which brings me to another piece of tech I wish didn't went out.... RWD hatchbacks!

How's that for a segway? :D

catalysmic, Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  2. oj88

I see that the grammar police is on the beat. Slow day on Reddit? :D

j/k.
    ========================

Let me add one more to the list:

Growing up in the 80's, the Sony brand was ubiquitous. It's one of the favourites for pro and consumer-grade audio/video equipment. We typically remember Sony for their Betamax, Walkmans and their Trinitron CRT technology, the latter of which, at that time, basically destroyed the competition for both picture quality and screen flatness.

But there's another bit of 80-90's Sony tech that will forever be part of my childhood.... the Sony FH-series of "mini-component" Hi-Fi audio. These were the gold standard back then for relatively affordable home audio. There were full-blown "component" audio available but these FH units broke the mold and offered similar sound quality from a portable-esque package. I remember our then FH-909R, well, when it was still working. At that time, it was probably the only consumer cassette player with a motorized tray! So futuristic.

Unfortunately, the different components have since then been separated and dismantled with some parts missing and/or defective. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

payphone inside a phone booth

4. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Like I always mention in my reviews, modern cars nowadays, especially Honda, have all touch-sensitive controls for head units and AC that distract the driver's eyes from the road, as you need to look at what "virtual button" you are pressing. It's so unnecessary and even potentially dangerous.

Sure, most stereo controls are replicated on the steering wheel, but with the increasing number of buttons and toggles on the wheels too, it again demands that you look down on the wheel to see which ones you are pressing.

Mykolant, greta87 and raypin like this.
  5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The trend I miss is "money in my wallet". It's hard to keep that trend. :LOL:

Mykolant, SE20, Dekra and 3 others like this.
  6. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh yeah, those payphones were how I was able to get some money back in grade school.
    Did anyone else regularly check those coin return slots?

Sunil_K likes this.
  7. Kiddomike

Kiddomike Active Member

1. Music CD’s
    2. Stick shift and the real hand brake in cars
    3. Real toys for children
    4. Analog watches or clocks
    5. Computer mice with balls (wired mice)
    6. Cable TV that uses your TV’s remote.

greta87 likes this.
  8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

One tech or trend that I wish was still used is telegrams. I used this before to send my wife a singing telegram back when she was still my girlfriend. It was hilarious and got me 10,000 pogi points hahaha.

eag likes this.
  9. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Good manners and right conduct

kyubi, docjbr, Oakleyman771 and 3 others like this.
  10. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Actually still a good following I still CQ with other countries when the bands for 40 meter are open depend on the current lousy solar activity. Alot of local radio operators are communicating via satellite trigger by their Handheld VHF/UHF.

catalysmic, raypin and oj88 like this.
  11. oj88

That was my dream.... to be on HF and talk to proper DX stations. But alas, a student allowance just didn’t cut it. All I can do was read up about it on the ARRL Handbook.

Let’s just say that while most of my peers were looking at Playboy and Penthouse centerfolds, I was scouring the Book Sale shops and specialty book stores for old PopElectronics, Elektor, and CQ magazines.

raypin likes this.
  12. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

The Sound & Vision of Gaming Tech back then.. Memories =)

suavecito likes this.
  13. eag

You can still do this on Valentine’s Day. The Philippine Postal Corp offers singing karteros on Valentine’s Day each year. Just visit your local post office in the weeks before VD to inquire about details and book

Juice likes this.
  14. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Tech

CD - I remember years ago when I decided to back-up important files on a CD... Now I can't even retrieve the files! Spent so much buying expensive CDs (before CDR-King days) as I always believed it was "future-proof"

Transparency Projector - Church now uses a PC... Sometimes the person clicking is late, fast or just displaying the wrong thing!

Trend

Office Cubicles - yes, open concept looks nice (plus the fact that you can use height adjustable tables)... But I can't eat noodles on my desk, it's just too open!

15. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

The cable organizer on the Magsafe on Old Macbooks.

16. magkono

magkono Member

I miss the trend of being able to voice out a different opinion and not being attacked over it. hahaha

Also, i wouldnt mind taking care of another tamagochi again. haha

17. eag

I miss the home button on my phone

18. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Started “hamming” again after resurrecting an old radio transceiver and putting up an antenna at our old house. Didn’t get much radio traffic though except for one persistent caller from Taiwan or the Mainland, I guess. I did get static radio transmissions from an AM band which I am determining yet if local or foreign. You don’t get this kind of retro high with cellphones, mind you.

19. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

Tech: the iPod... currently, there's a plethora of portable music players in the market right now, 90% of which are china-made. a lot of them crap, some are decent, some are amazing for the price but still, nobody makes tech the way apple does. i wish apple would release a new portable media player that can play lossless media

Trend: i was never much for trends

hitme64 likes this.
  20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^I agree. Nothing can replace the iPod for durability and innovation then. When my Classic iPod just stopped and hanged on me, I lost nearly 8000+ songs, laboriously catalogued and sorted over a period of 5 years. All are now gone with the wind.

And then the wife gifted me a Fiio M11
    Pro and I forgot about the iPod. Soothed lost memories ehh.