Taal eruption

Discussion in 'General OT' started by eag, Jan 12, 2020.

1. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

as for the A/C, our government think the health of the trains are more important than the health of the commuting citizens, they shut down all A/C of train and prohibit opening of the windows, do they ever think how will the commuter breath inside a sardine can like cabin?

2. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

Thank you. I'm so relieved. I already made hotel bookings last week.

3. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

[​IMG]
    Taking cover from the debris using plastic bags. Credit...Ezra Acayan/Getty Images

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...nilagyan ko face mask lahat ng aircon ko. Yun 3M na N95.

Juice likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Tagaktak pawis mo niyan. Any t-shirt or towel soaked in water can serve as repellent against ash. Better wet because it relieves the eyes and nostrils. I don’t subscribe to those face masks because 1) stinky breath returns to you, and 2) for those with difficulties breathing it adds up to the misery.

Eto naman sobra OA. Kaya naman naubos pes mesk eh.
    132D7E3D-F2A5-4594-BBFB-F1B74D368518.jpeg

#25 hitme64, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    greta87, Sir iAco and Sunil_K like this.
  6. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

What’s the current state of Taal Volcano as of late this afternoon? Still spewing ash?
    Edit - to answer my own question, as of 4pm
    7FE22AD7-95E9-45BA-84EF-557FB41109F0.jpeg

#26 eag, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Best youtube livestream i have found so far:

porkypork, SE20 and rbenzon like this.
  8. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Reading some of the articles on the Mt. Pinatubo eruption from 20 years ago, scientists claim that it had a cooling effect and delayed global warming by 3 years. I'm wondering if the Taal eruption would also have a similar effect.

raypin likes this.
  9. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

our A/C is located indoors so it's safe to use.

10. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

What's scary for me was the greatest eruption of Taal Volcano in 1754. It lasted for 6 months! Seriously hope it's nothing like that.

raypin likes this.
  11. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Something tells me this is actually a picture taken in a train on Hong Kong's MTR and not in Manila after the Taal eruption. Just a hunch. Maybe it's a Hongkonger afraid to contract the Wuhan pneumonia coronavirus...

12. hitme64

Glad to see Ash Monday has subsided quite a bit. The air quality in our area is generally Good. We have church folks in Lumil town just below Tagaytay who we have not heard of since yesterday. Our volunteer caravan has already left the area bringing back around 34 families to the church minus those left behind unheard of till now. Our satellite church is reportedly damaged.

raypin likes this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...am here in HK since saturday. Many locals wearing masks because of Wuhan virus scare. Bought a couple of N95 from Fanda pharmacy near Chungking mansion. Double the price. Watsons, Sasa, Mannings are all out of 3M N95. Buying tomorrow from a carousell hk seller 2 boxes at a premium from regular retail. Hopefully he comes through. One Carouseller refused to sell: she will only sell to Hong Kongers.

hitme64 and Sir iAco like this.
  14. hitme64

They’re now giving it free here, or in lieu of N95, there are enterprising people giving away handmade masks for free. PRC also delivered 8000 free masks to Tagaytay and Batangas. Isko Moreno has ordered investigations into Bambang dealers selling overpriced masks. They should be strung up with the cords of those masks in Plaza Miranda.

raypin likes this.
  15. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

yup read somewhere that it is actually good for global warming, it is like the world is doing itself some self healing.

the lives and livelihood thought that is being compromise is enormous. there was already a reported fatality right? cause by a driving accident due to the ashfalls. at the end of the day, this is nature we are talking about - we can not do anything to stop the volcano from erupting other than to be prepared and just pray.

catalysmic and hitme64 like this.
  16. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I was really surprised that there was almost no traffic in Makati during ash Monday. Our company advised us to work from home in the next few days. A lot of establishments also closed early.

17. hitme64

Those ground fissures appearing in different towns in Batangas are worrisome. Fissures can turn into soil liquefaction and sink roads, houses and buildings where they occur. That they appeared on Lemery, Agoncillo, San Nicolas and Talisay indicates their proximity to Taal Volcano. It also is indicative of LGU’s failure to monitor road building projects in the past years. Walang mga bakal kasi ang mga sinemento niyo mga hayuf.

Juice and raypin like this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Yeah, my son asked me before the eruption why so many of the roads and sidewalks are cracked. I said, "Those slabs are probably poured concrete without reinforcing steel (rebars). Steel was probably in the budget, but upon budget approval, they opted to reinforce trapos' pockets instead". Grrr.

A friend collects old PH maps. I saw one from 1571 where Taal town was the "upper lip" of Taal Bay—there was no Taal Lake then. Presumably, it was Taal Volcano's 6-month eruption in the 1700s that sealed the mouth of the bay, turning it into a lake. I have trekked to the top of Mount Maculot a few times, and have seen that enclosure, which I am guessing is mostly made of ash fall—not solid rock. I think of it as landfill made from dumping sand. So yeah, those low-lying towns of Lemery, San Nicolas, San Luis, Santa Teresita, etc. aren't on solid ground—relative to the pre-colonial towns. Fissures should concern them more.

Am abroad, so I chipped in remotely to a group of Batanguenos who will do their own relief efforts. Post other relief links/tips. Make this thread useful. :)

#38 rbenzon, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    bowser and hitme64 like this.
  19. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Got this from a Viber Group. Sorry if it's a bit long:

Fascinating:
    Hindi nyo ba alam na ang Taal Lake ay dating Salt Water prior to 1754. The huge 1754 eruption that lasted for 6 months from May to December 1754 changed the salinity of the water from salt to freshwater lake.

It sank 5 Batangas towns formerly located along the shores like Tanauan, Taal, Lipa, Bauan and a lost town that was never revived named Sala.

The Batangueños started moving backwards and established their Poblacions away from Taal Lake:

Tanauan is on its 3rd Site
    Taal on its 3rd Site
    Bauan on its 3rd Site
    Lipa on its 5th Site
    Sala was never revived and joined Tanauan

The Pansipit River narrowed down where once upon a time Galleons can enter from Balayan Bay to Taal Lake.

It gave way and formed a new land blocking the mouth of the Pansipit River and that land later on became Lemery,Batangas in 1861.

New islands sprouted up from underneath like Napayong Island located in Tanauan. This gave way to new forms of species like the Maliputo and Tawilis.

Maliputo was actually a Trevally or Talakitok but since it turned freshwater, then it became the Maliputo. Tawilis was actually a sardines that turned into a freswater sardines trapped inside the lake when the salinty changed. There are fossils of old coral reefs in Taal Lake proving that once upon a time it was saltwater and the last shark sighting in Taal was in 1935.

The Capital was moved from Taal to Batangan now called Batangas City and from 1755, they started calling it Batangas province coming from Taal province and prior to that as Balayan province, the first capital.

All of these are recorded and better read the book of Thomas Hargrove called the Mysteries of Taal.

Ganyan kalakas ang Taal
    Its stronger than Mayon

The map of Batangas drastically changed so you have to respect and adjust with nature and learn from its violent history

Story by Derrick Manas
    Barrio Wawa ,Tanauan,Batangas

raypin, bowser and hitme64 like this.
  20. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

most of concrete roads are designed without rebars.

hitme64 likes this.