Switch Trade-in Program

Discussion in 'Sw!tch' started by CMWRay, Dec 22, 2018.

1. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

Has anyone tried the trade program of switch for iPhones? Any experience you guys can share as well as average credit given for a phone?

#1 CMWRay, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

I guess none :unsure:

3. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

One word... "Lugi"...

One would still be better off selling his/her old iPhone and buy a new one.

Qin Zhi, kyubi and greta87 like this.
  4. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

Really? How much was the credit offered to you and for what phone?

5. cybersniper

I asked once, years ago... never thought of doing it again. It'll set you back for at least 10K (assuming we're talking about a previous / one generation old iPhone).

Why dont you see for yourself? - get an offer from Switch, then try bargaining your old phone at Greenhills... or check out sites like TipidCP.com, OLX and the likes... and see how much is the current value of your phone compared to what was offered to you by Switch.

6. cybersniper

No one in his / her right mind goes the trade-in route... I mean it's just so impractical.

7. racz41

racz41 Member

If you have time, best way to get the most money out of your old iPhone is to sell it directly (fb, olx etc.)

If you're in a rush might as well trade it in in greenhills,

My last resort would be trading it in in Switch but i'll do that with a blindfold on :ROFLMAO:

8. CMWRay

CMWRay Active Member

So finally got the chance to brong my old iPhone 6s Plus to Switch earlier today. We had it checked for trade-in value. The phone is working great as it is but it does have some damage (very little dent on top, scratches on screen, though not that visible...).

Initially they said the amount ranges from 11800 to 8000 but still depends on overall condition.

When they finished the diagnostic, to our surprise the trade in value they said is:

Php 400!

Like what now? Even an old Nokia would sell far more higher than that. The reason they quoted is because it’s Globe locked plus the minor damages.

It’s just so laughable and total waste of time. Everyone here is right. This is not worth it all :LOL:

Macchiahto and jayparalejas like this.
  9. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

If you're interested I'll take your 6S for Php 1000! Hahaha

10. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

watda! 2 weeks back I got wife a red 128GB iPhone Xr in greenhills. sold our globe locked iPhone 6 64GB for 6.5k and iPhone 7 128GB for 13.5k in one of the kiosks. apparently, it doesn't matter to them if you have it unlocked first (doesn't increase trade in / re-sale value). basically spent PhP26.5k for a bnew iPhone.

i know i could have tried selling (online, etc.) the old iPhones for more but thing is, in Greenhills, I was in and out in 1 hour.

#10 Theus, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    iSk8er likes this.
  11. iSk8er

iSk8er Member

hi sir! I am considering getting one din po sana. Can i ask which store in Greenhills did you bought the iPhone XR? hows does the warranty work? is it in store warranty or still with apple authorized resellers?

12. Theus

PM sent.

13. kentovin

kentovin New Member

hi, sir. can you please share to me what store did you buy your new iphone, if it has apple waranty or some other kind of warranty. thanks!

14. Theus

PM sent. Not affiliated with them ha.

Macchiahto likes this.
  15. kentovin

kentovin New Member

Thank you!

16. J316

J316 Member

Same question.

17. JFM1974

JFM1974 New Member

Just please check the item being sold. I had the misfortune of buying a brand new supposedly factory unlocked, open line iPhone X 256 Gb at a kiosk in Greenhills. My usual seller offered a much higher price for a factory unlocked iPhone X. I was advised to become wary of the unscrupulous practices of some shops wherein they try to pass out GPP unlocked Iphones as factory unlocked. I roamed around and found a store which offered a cheaper price for the item. The lady owner, Babylove seemed nice but was deceptive. I discovered that the phone was only GPP unlocked from Smart network. I had the difficulty of sending and receiving text, using my LTE plan using Globe line. I was able to use the phone for calling but would occasionally also have trouble receiving calls. I only discovered the truth when I had it checked at an Apple shop in Boston. I was charged for the diagnostic fee because of the modification done. Worst is the seller would not want to have the phone traded back in for a real factory unlocked open line iPhone. She just wanted to have it reflashed for a fee.

jayparalejas likes this.
  18. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

What a nightmare. Remember cheaper is not always better, I have a suki at GH. her name is alicia with Shio-Tis store at bridgeway. Don't go for the ones who doesn't have a permanent store, you will have a dizzying time searching for them when the stores reshuffle. Also, there's this common practice by cellphone tiange vendors wherein they pass pristine second hand units as brand new. First thing to ask is, if the item is "Balbal"(The term they used for units that are not really brand new) / "Backjob" (Refurbished, with class a LCD and a new OEM Back case), that way the seller will be alerted that you know what you are talking about. Before parting with your money check the serial number on the box and the unit itself. Finally Test everything before paying. :)

shaft likes this.
  19. dafrnda94

dafrnda94 New Member

Hello po! Saan po yung store sa GH? Planning to swap/sell my iPhone po. Thank you!

20. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

I too have a usual Greenhills "suki" from which I've purchased several Apple devices through the years ranging from iPads to iPhones. And yes, even if you're a "regular" always assume they're out to pull a fast one... but if you know what to look for, what to check and the other not-so-obvious but easy-to-spot red flags then there should be not much trouble or fear of trying to buy a genuine Apple from those kind of sellers. And take note, my suki doesn't even have a fixed location as she's one of those regularly re-shuffled bunch

A good example of the usefulness of "tiangge" sellers is when Apple released the XS back in October... wherein if you wanted the dual-physical SIM variant then there was no other way but to purchase from gray market sellers (since the "officially" released version for PH is the e-SIM/physical SIM variant) if sourced locally. So from the get go I already knew that I'd have to rely on my "suki" and as expected she had stocks not so long after the official release date. To be fair, my suki's price was very competitive (I think gone are the days when gray market sellers would sell the first batch of the latest iPhones at outrageous prices... remember Kimstore selling the back then latest iPhone 6 Plus at 100K+?... Crazy right?) so I bought one. Met her after mall hours at a nearby Starbucks and did my usual checklist to see if it was the real deal. The process wasn't fast at all, took me about an hour but she knew already that I had to go through all that or else no deal. So when everything checked out okay, I then proceeded to backup and reset to factory settings my then iPhone X, handed it for trade-in, paid the difference and we were both happy campers after.

My point is, if buying from such sellers the buyer will really have to put in extra effort to make sure it's legit. But after that, the couple of thousand pesos saved is pretty much worth it. And I do think that you really don't have to be an iPhone "expert" or a super techie person to go check if it's genuine, new, used, factory unlocked or network-locked. It's not that complicated at all (y)

But I've also had some not-so-good experiences in the past that did make me learn how to be a cautious buyer from GH sellers... so I also had to charge some (thousands of pesos) to experience hahaha

Edelheid likes this.