Surround Sound System for Home Setup

Discussion in 'General OT' started by littlewingz08, Mar 9, 2016.

1. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

hello guys, my mom is contemplating of setting up a surround system for our family room at home. This is primarily dedicated for our movie marathon sessions that usually takes place during weekends or holidays. Its a room with approaximately, almost size a of 2 bed rooms. Not that big but definitely spacious because we didnt put any unneccesary things inside.

any advice? please send a link so i can also review the product :)
    much better if its a bang for the buck!

TIA

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

@raypin should be of great help for you in this project.

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

so many options :) for movies though, i would advise 'investing' on a really good center speaker for clear / crisp dialogues. second would be a nice SVS sub appropriate for room size. check out SVS website for recommended sub. and check out pinoydvd.com. goodluck on your search & have fun.

ronjet, Godfather and Sunil_K like this.
  4. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

All i can say is stay away from home theater in-a-box set up. Especially those that are sold bundled with HDTV's. Yep and dont forget to visit PinoyDVD for more infos, they are very accomodating with newbies.

wem272 and Theus like this.
  5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......get a pair of Revel bookshelf speakers with stand plus a good center speaker and maybe a couple of satellites and a good subwoofer. If you want over-the-top, get Atmos speakers (ceiling mounted) and pair it with a Denon 7.1 AV amp with PS4 blu-ray. I SWEAR BY THE AUDIO GODS the experience is the same as what you would experience in a real cinema. WHERE? Where else but Egghead Audiohub Shangri-La Plaza AV room. If projector is an option, they also sell Optoma. I just got the HD 26 1080p projector at a very good price. It was time to replace my still functioning and unbelievably reliable Panasonic PT AX200 720p projector (5 years old). The Pana projector lamp run time is now well over 2000 hours. For projector selection, consult projectorcentral.com. If the room is, say, 5 meters long, get a 156" white projector screen. If it less than that, consider ultra short-throw projectors. The website has an on-line projector calculator that will help you a lot in selecting the proper projector and the recommended placement of the projector.

On the civil works side and If renovation is an option, make the 2 rooms a real home theater. Remove all windows and install hollow blocks, carpet floor and wall (this will help with the room acoustics), get some good theater seats, install a 1080p projector and install the audio system (you need to run the audio cables and electrical wires first before carpeting the wall or floor). For cooling, get a silent split-type inverter (forget window-type AC - much too noisy).

And, oh yeah, don't forget the Apple TV and Getflix.

I gained experience by doing it myself and not rely on experts. It is a fun project (just do a lot of research). I have done 2 home cinema rooms during the past 5 years.

#5 raypin, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

A BIG WARNING before opening PinoyDVD forum, creating an account and joining in.
    You would be in a ton of GAS before you know it :LOL:

Raypin has some solid advice - go for it!

My current setup in my apartment:
    50" LG Plasma
    Onkyo TX-NR717 7.1 AVR
    Pair of Polk Audio Rti A7 fronts
    Pair of Polk Audio Rti A1 surrounds
    a measly Pols Audio CS10 center speaker (planning to get at least an A4)
    LG Bluray player

No sub yet as I live in an apartment.
    I don't wanna push the landlady to give me a third and final noise warning :)

7. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

You'll run out of drool and money if you visit PinoyDVD. I spent a couple of overnighters backreading the stuff there.

Godfather likes this.
  8. raypin

mmm......get God's voice. Damn it, ang sarap pakingan sa dedicated home theater room.

9. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry for shamelessly tooting our products, but since this thread was allowed and the TS did ask for it, I hope you guys don't mind if I suggest an option.

Please do check out our site www.svsound.net

Ideally I would suggest our best bang for the buck Prime Series, check out the items with prices here.

Also check out the S Series Surround, check them out here.

Both sure not to break the bank.

If you've checked out PinoyDVD, then perhaps you've heard of my brother MikeC. If you call our number 710-4673, he'll give you all the advice you need, free of charge.

Just tell him Godfather sent you. He'll make you an offer you can't refuse. :p

Mark

My own HT, as done by my brother :
    (7.1 setup with ported sub for the low base, sealed sub for the mid base, 30 sqm room)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#9 Godfather, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    wem272, ronjet, Kiko and 10 others like this.
  10. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I can also vouch for MikeC, Godfather's brother. I got my SVS subs from him. When I eventually upgrade my subs, it's definitely SVS again for me. :)

Godfather likes this.
  11. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Thank you Boss Arn! :)

12. raypin

mmmm......whoah! Major like! Very reasonable price point.

Godfather likes this.
  13. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

I'm using also a SVS sub. Dali speakers and still my old 65" 3d plasma tv. maybe i'll shift to Revel speakers and get a Projector also.

Godfather likes this.
  14. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

SVS's of Mike C are the best. Those dual ultras of godfather were my inspiration. Blessed to have them since December in a much smaller room viz mr Godfather. Bang for the buck pa indeed.

Godfather likes this.
  15. raypin

mmm.....my messy-looking home cinema project part 2 (circa 2012). It is not professional-looking because I did most of the work (design, planning, purchase selection and sourcing, equipment matching etc.) with the manual labor done by a couple of skilled carpenters and electricians. To save on cost, I recycled a lot of parts from my first project (my Apple TV room). The floor area is around 22 sqm. Effective projection size: 156" viewable measured diagonal. Special touches: the fixed-mounted projector screen is framed (the pic does not show it) by a giant iPhone, the lighting is remote controlled (no dimming, all lighting on/off/ambient lighting on/off) and the seats are fully reclinable. My seat is to the right and underneath it is a Buttkicker LFE (Low Frequency Effect) that is connected to the subwoofer. What it does is it shakes the seat in sync with the bass/sub-bass. Sorry for the lousy pics. Wala ako DSLR. . Fun home project that is a labor of love:

WP_20160316_13_27_23_Pro-jpg.jpg WP_20160323_11_39_12_Pro_LI [177840720]-.jpg WP_20160316_13_27_52_Pro-jpg.jpg

#15 raypin, Mar 23, 2016
    Sunil_K, linkk, Dekra and 5 others like this.
  16. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^ah so he's your brother. Spoke with him last year when i was looking for svs sub. Nice guy, unfortunately, shop was too far from my place.

Anyway, yes one can't go wrong with svs sub. Get isolators to do away with rattling of walls & fixtures without losing hair raising, chest thumping experience. Got a sb2000 as pb2000 is too big for our space. Again, i cannot overstate importance of a really good center. For me, center & sub are 'key'

Godfather likes this.
  17. raypin

mmm....I have a 2nd projector set up but in my bedroom. Retractable projector and sound system is a simple desktop 2.1. Surround sound not important. Perfect for just-before-sleeping movie viewing of classic films (as shown in pic: Cleopatra played by the very young and beautiful Elizabeth Taylor):

WP_20131209_00_00_46_Pro (1).jpg WP_20131208_02_09_45_Pro.jpg

#17 raypin, Mar 23, 2016
    Sunil_K, Godfather and Theus like this.
  18. raypin

mmm.....for NONFLIX and regular TV viewing, with an assortment of HTIB 5.1 (surround sound, not so good but puwede na, actually lousy sounding) and a pair of floorstanders (the outside pair) for music:

WP_20140404_13_13_18_Pro_mini.jpg

#18 raypin, Mar 23, 2016
    Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  19. raypin

mmm.....the reason why I posted my set-ups (which I have been enjoying since 2013) is not to show-off but to help guide the threadstarter. I've given him three real-world options:

1. A dedicated home theater with all the bells and whisles (the most expensive of the three and yet the most satisfying movie watching experience outside of a real movie theater and strictly for movie buffs. As an added plus, the dedicated home theater can also serve as a music room).
    2. A casual projector system located in the most comfortable setting of any home (the bedroom!). The least expensive option and a cozy experience specially when you are canoodling with your special someone..lol!
    3. A non-projector/TV room that can be outfitted with any 5.1 (and up) audio system (the most practical for family viewing and gaming for kids).

Also, I love movies

So there.......

#19 raypin, Mar 23, 2016
  20. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Was a PinoyDVD regular way back (MyNameIsWalts), but I've sold all of my HT gear. When I retire, this is probably what I will be doing (along with a project car) :p

Like what the others mentioned here, you'll find all your answers at pinoyDVD.com

kyubi and raypin like this.