Surge Protectors

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Josephu992, Nov 17, 2008.

1. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

It's okay, I'll try to go and check the Stavol-branded AVRs. thank you very much!

2. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Another good brand is Stac (Nippon Keidenki Works)

I used it on my Apple //c before since it's a 110v model

3. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Hi guys! Need help on UPS/AVR. I currently have a Panther AVR, I believe it's the smallest one that they have which needs replacement. I'm planning to get a UPS with AVR function to replace it with. What is a good brand to get? Is APC the best one I can get? I saw a Panther UPS from True Value, I wonder if they're any good. Also, what model should I get? Thank you!

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

For entry-level UPSes, no need to spend big on APC. I have tried both the Back-UPS CS500 and RS500.... both eventually failed. So I settled with off-brand ones that costs under 2k for standard desktops. Most includes buck-boost circuits (AVR). But, if you need shutdown automation, they’re less common now on entry-level UPS and if you find one, they’re usually a bit more expensive.

Consider only APC for their higher-end Smart-UPS models (true sine wave output). I have 3 Smart-UPS 700 which I bought for scrap from my company (needed new batteries and some TLC) and they’re now powering my home network, entertainment center, and then some.

But what would really protect your equipment is proper grounding. Not many people know that the surge suppression circuits built into UPS and most equipment power supplies only works when there’s a path to earth ground for the extra energy to dissipate.

5. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Where can I buy a surge protector? I’m planning to install one for our refrigerator. And how much does it usually cost?

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...go to True Value, Ace Hardware or Handyman...around 3 to 6k, depending on wattage.

abielbad likes this.
  7. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

That is true, without proper grounding of surge protector device it would be useless. I would rather invest in rewiring the whole electrical circuit of the house to have a earth ground connection. Actually surge protectors are just overkill and just waste electricity. Connecting the metal case or the green wire of an appliance to earth ground is enough to protect the appliance.

8. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I was actually thinking of getting the basic UPS since I don't really know much about them except that they provide enough power to properly shutdown some important equipment. I'm planning to get a NAS probably next year since my current back-up hard drives are almost full that's why I'm thinking of future proofing the UPS/AVR I'm getting. I didn't know Panther had a UPS until I went to True Value to check on AVRs.

Just checked the price of the Smart-UPS, they are quite expensive brand new. Didn't realize they can be that much. I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to understand the numerous products APC has on their product line.

9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

If you're getting it for a NAS, then consider something with a USB connector so it will have the ability to shutdown the NAS gracefully. Plus you'll be able to turn off that annoying bleeping sound when the power is out.

10. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely consider that. Would you happen to have a recommendation for a brand and model?

11. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Indeed they are. They're marketed towards corporate and enterprise customers. I was lucky enough to snag three of them. Actually, I got all 5 but the other 2 were way beyond repair.

I then went to eBay and got each of them a network management card (NMC). The NMC can now shutdown other devices over my home network (NAS, PCs, etc.), even if they are using dumb UPSes.

[​IMG]

12. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Lucky you! Good thing you're also good with electronics and willing to tinker! Thanks again. Hope I purchase the right one.