Surge Protectors

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Josephu992, Nov 17, 2008.

1. RommelReyes

RommelReyes Active Member

the best thing to do imo is to (1) use a surge protector connected to a (2) servo type avr (with 100v, 110v and 220v outlets) through the (3) 110v outlet. macs are auto-volt (100-220), so even if the power out of the outlet doubles, your macs are still safe. i do this for all my audio, video and computer equipment and i haven't had one burn out on me in ages.....

hth.

2. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

On a side note, does anyone know where to get a portable step-down transformer 220 to 110 that has a high wattage rating? Ace has some but their only rated for 60w which is only enough for my Pro. I am using the "old school" metal transformer right now but it's rated for 75w only. I'm using it for my belkin mini surge protector. I wish they made one for 220v.

3. Josephu992

Josephu992 Member

Surge protectors are rated in joules. The higher the better. 1000+ joules is a good start. They should also be rated by underwriters Lab UL 1449 and have a clamping force of 330 volts. Wattage rating have to do with the amount of devices the power strip can safely support. What causes the spikes and surges in an electrical grid like a household is the demand of large load devices for electricity. Devices like air conditioners, washer and dryers, jet matic water pumps, etc. These cause spikes of electricity that will cumulatively over time destroy a motherboard, modem card. Yes, spikes do occur over telephone lines that have electrical current running through them. It isn't just brownouts, blackouts, and thunder storms one has to be careful about.

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I found this Belkin portable Surge Protector via TUAW. 3 Power outlets as well as 2 USB charging outlets. 36 kiloAmpere Maximum Spike Protection & 800V Clamping Voltage.

$24.99 but am not sure if this is available locally. If it is, I'll definitely grab this.

Belkin: Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger

[​IMG]

5. RommelReyes

RommelReyes Active Member

@rafaelc378,

there's something similar to this (belkin brand also - 5 power outlets, no usb charging outlets though) being sold by automatic center. i saw one in st. francis square about 3 weeks ago....

this [​IMG] is what i use at home. APC SurgeArrest Home/Office PH6VT3-UK.

#25 RommelReyes, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. 180er

180er New Member

rommelreyes,

I am looking for APC SurgeArrest Home/Office PH6VT3-UK. Where did you get it? Thanks.

7. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

Sir Raf, I have that belkin but it only works for 110v. Can't plug it into a 220 outlet. :(

8. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

2 "UPS for our iMac" concerns... help!

1. is the APC ES500 500va (2200pesos) good enough for a 20" iMac model 2008 (rated 200W by Mactracker)? How many minutes will it provide during a power outage? If this won't make it, what UPS do you recommend for an iMac within a budget of 2500pesos?

2. the Ablerex 625VA has a nice price of 2000pesos. Problem is that it uses an IEC320 outlet and not the normal outlet we can plug in with the iMac power cord (it looks like the other end of this iMac power cord we connect to our iMac). How do we use this with an iMac and why this IEC320 design? Why do some UPS use this and not the normal plug outlets?

9. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

I think I can answer your last question sir macdrive. The third prong is supposedly for used as a ground connection. Ideally, all outlets should have that 3rd hole in the socket for proper grounding. Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

You can just buy one of those plug adapters from hardware stores. shouldn't cost you more that a 100php.

10. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

oh it's not the 3-prong plug outlet. it looks exactly like the 3 IEC320 outlets at the lower left below:
    [​IMG]

#30 macdrive007, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  11. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

I see. I think it's the same thing, although I've never used one like that before. That is weird, I usually associate those for power input, not output.

12. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

I also have the same set up. This is really reassuring especially during power outages and power surges.

You can really here the AVR humming when a surge comes in..

13. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi, i also plan to buy an avr, because right now, i only plug my mbp to the power outlet socket, which i realize now is not safe in case there is a brownout or something, but i really don't understand what a surge protector is, do i have to buy a surge protector, and avr, to plug in my mbp? or is avr enough to protect my mbp just in case,? if i have to buy a surge protector and avr, how do i use it po? do i plug in the surge protector to the avr, and my mbp adapter to the surge protector? i'm sorry for my confusion, i hope someone can enlighten me, cause i dont understand the 110v or 220v, that are being discussed here.. and where do i buy a surge protector here in manila? i hope it's not so expensive. thanks po in advance

14. jimidiga

jimidiga Member

get the avr..if you have the extra money, get a UPS too :)

15. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

AVR is enough for protection against spikes.. some use UPS as well to give just enough juice incase of brownouts, so that we can turn our macs off properly instead of immediate shutdown when power goes off..

16. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

For frequent travelers like us. Do you guys have any suggestions of portable surge protectors? They are pretty hard to find locally. Even in Tokyo where I visit a lot they are pretty sparse and most of them are 110v rating.

17. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

So, is this what we're looking for?

18. pgmac123

pgmac123 Member

Hey thanks for this. Been looking for one for a long time.:D

19. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

i read somewhere here that macbooks/mbp have built in surge protectors? is this true?

20. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

pgmac123: If you get it, mind posting a review? I'm thinking about getting it as well :)