Supported Lifespan of all iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by yoh_hectic, Nov 30, 2017.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Typical upgrade cycle for postpaid is every 24 months so most do not notice that our iPhones often have iOS support for for nearly 5 years since the 2011 iPhone 4S.

[​IMG]

Compare that to any Android phone. :)

Pupkin and suavecito like this.
  2. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Im jumping on the X coming from a 6. A slightly slower OS operation and unusual battery drain make me upgrade, but if not, illl keep it for another 2 years.

yoh_hectic likes this.
  3. yoh_hectic

I look forward to upgrades because of the better camera, fresh battery and faster phone.

Apple's release cycle follows a 24 monthy cycle. Non-S introduces a new body while the S introduces a new Apple SoC.

I could imagine a family of 4 having 4 iPhone plans. Parents get the new iPhone annually. The kids then get their parent's phone a year later. Their household staff would then be assigned the phone of the kids on year 3 with matched with their prepaid SIMs. Depending on the number of their staff they either are assigned the phone for 1-3 years before gifting them the phone outright.

#3 yoh_hectic, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not defending Android...

But OEMs get nothing for updating their device...

Apple makes income from the App Store... Google makes income from the Play Store.

New iOS means new version of the App...

But since majority of Android users still use Marshmallow, App developers still support it and the phone will still work perfectly.

Our IT support once told me that she prefers Samsung as it takes ages for them to update to a new version of Android... To her, important company apps are stable without issues... My Nexus running Oreo can't even run my Outlook properly... Hangs most of the time, and I can't attach files from my One Drive! (no issue with my Lollipop device)...

My other colleague is so upset that her Note 5 updated to Lollipop... (for the funniest reasons. She finds the quick settings icons too small)

My only major complain with Android (in 2017) is that new phones don't even come with Oreo! The LG V30 is coming to Singapore this month... And it will run Lollipop out of the box.

5. yoh_hectic

Actually it's a chicken or the egg problem.

App developers have X amount of resources to maintain a version of their app to work on a specific Android version. Complications piles up as more variations happen like how stock Android version it is and what screen size, etc.

Same applies to Android brands.

Like my Sony app that matches with the a7R III ceased working on the Pixel with Android 8 Oreo because they havent bothered to update it for Oreo. That's Sony na ha and a full frame mirrorless camera.

Old software wiill eventually have bugs and security holes. That's why I strive to stick to Stock Android phones as much as possible so the barrier to updates are lower.

suavecito likes this.
  6. yoh_hectic

iOS fragmentation vs Android fragmentation in smartphones

To expound Android has soo much variables in terms of Android versions, screen size & densities, and Open GL versions.

In 2015 Open Signal made a report on Android fragmentation. There are over 1,294 Android brands and 24,093 unique devices

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

As compared to iOS where over 90% is iOS 10 & 11.

https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

Screen sizes that matter are the the ones from iPhone X, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6 and iPhone 5.

iOS 9 and older and iPhone 4S and older do not need app refreshes anymore unless it's a security hole.

7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

another thing is that real people don't actually care about the iOS/Android version their device is using...

Its just us who care about it :)

Based on my personal observation. HTC and Motorola are good in updating... But I do not know anyone using a Moto... Only 1 using a HTC - he's our Taiwanese intern!
    Samsung takes its time to update. But even their mid-range devices will get an update someday...
    LG I heard they update early... I hope they also release their announced phones early :)

yoh_hectic likes this.
  8. putakti

putakti Active Member

My iPhone 3GS still with me.. Parang meron ngang forever...

9. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

same here, upgrading from my 3year old 6+. I have no battery issues but the phone is slowing down a bit and can't handle new apps/games as smoothly. Plus i was sold on the iPhone X's camera and faceID. I'm not a fan of touchID because I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating of hands)

plus there's a lot of iOS features that i've been missing out on already (live photos, 3d touch, portrait mode)