Suitable hard drive for a mid-2007 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by hedges, Jul 14, 2009.

1. hedges

hedges Member

Hi. The hard drive of my wife's mid-2007 MacBook (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) crashed and I'm going to have it replaced. Is there a limit as to the size and speed?

I'm planning to get a 320 or 500 GB but I was advised that it can only handle up to 250GB at 5400 rpm. Is this true? Or is it safe to go for the higher capacity ones?

Also, the installed Ram is currently 1.5GB. Can it handle 3GB or should I upgrade to 2GB only?

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I got the same nonsense about my MacBook not being able to handle HDDs greater than 250GB from various sources. I installed a 320GB drive no problem. Worked well for a few months until I upgraded to 500GB. I also got the same "won't work" spiel even from the Salesman at Digital Hub when I got the 500GB. I ignored him and installed it into my Late-2007 MacBook. Been working well for 4 months now and the 320's in an external enclosure.

As far as I know, any MacBook will will handle any capacity HDD as long as the drive is compatible (i.e. SATA). NO ONE has given a reasonable explanation as to why 320GB & 500GB drives won't work aside from they heard it from someone else.

For your RAM question, lemme do a little research and I'll post back here.

EDIT: According to my MacTracker Application, the Maximum is 3GB of which 2GB is used by the system and the 1GB is shared with the GPU.

3. hedges

hedges Member

Thanks for the really quick reply.

4. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

Dont you think its better to lug around a 320gb or 500 gb instead of installing them? It may crash again and the file lost would be bigger.

Where is the best place to scout for an inexpensive 320Gb 0r 500Gb internal HDD? How much? And how do i know its compatible? i have the mid 2007 as well.

Sorry, not too techie person here. Thanks.

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I'd rather not lug around anything extra. A hard drive is a hard drive. If it fails, it fails. Whether this is an internal or an external doesn't matter. Not sure what you mean by "the file lost would be bigger", but I keep my 500GB internal backed up via Time Machine onto a 250GB External. However, I exclude my TV Shows and Movies, which is backed up onto a separate external. All my data is on at least 2 different locations (hard drives) at all times. So hard drive size has no bearing on my data. Everything's always backed up in case of failure. I've learned the hard way the mistake of keeping everything in one place.

If you have a MacBook, it uses a SATA Hard Disk Drive. As long as the HDD is SATA, it'll work in the MacBook. I have personally had the following sized HDDs successfully installed on my Late-2007 MacBook, 120GB, 160GB, 320GB, 500GB. So whoever said that you can't have a 500GB or whatever sized HDD in a White MacBook, ask them for real documentation as to why not.

6. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

thanks rafael. This is one of the many things I like about philmug-the quick no non-sense reply.

THanks again!

7. ctferndo

ctferndo Member

i installed a 320 GB drive and a 4gig ram in my early 2007 macbook 1.83 GHz core 2 duo. the 320 works well but noticed that i can only go up to 3gigs in my ram.
    hope this helps.

8. ctferndo

ctferndo Member

btw, i got my western digital sata drive from gilmore which cost around P3,100

9. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

Wait, cant the mac handle the 320gb 2gb ram?

10. checkyoulater

checkyoulater Member

i'm not entirely sure with macOS or the actual hardware used, coming from a more windows based background experience, only 32bit OS can't handle 4gb ram, that's why windows based laptops that advertise 4gb ram installed come preinstalled with a 64-bit version of windows.

as for the hard drive, personally i'd rather keep the upgrades to just the ram (which is still on my wishlist). the only hdd i'd even consider is an SSD, as long as it's at least as big as what i have now (250gb). i say this because i've been lugging an external usb powered drive for a year now, and it really is a lot more convenient rather than having an extra large internal HDD.

question: i download a lot of HD TV episodes online, that's still legal right? i mean Tv is free right? just like recording TV shows for personal viewing. anyway this is probably the biggest reason i prefer lugging an external drive it's soo much easier to share between people with other shows i may not be familiar with, rather than having to wait 30-60mins to download it at home when i can transfer it in 2mins or less :)

my preferred solution, is maintaining my 2 1TB external drives (desktop) at home, which will probably stretch to 3 by the time the holidays come around. the smaller 250gb usb powered drive i carry allows me to have on demand a few movies and other files i may need. it also let's me be more flexible in sharing and copying large amount of data, not relying on the office network to transfer files in the office. the 250GB that my macbook came with should be enough even to house my entire music collection with room to spare. as for pics, i only plan on keeping those i'm currently working on in my laptop, that and my favorite "show off" pics lol.

i guess if the macbook i got started off with a 160gb drive i'd be telling an entirely different story though :p

#10 checkyoulater, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  11. morrissey_05

morrissey_05 Member

rafael,

i was given the same advice when i went for my hdd upgrade. im satisfied with the 320gb but of course, 500gb would be divine. hehehe

btw, when i got my upgrade, i only got around 300 gb of actual space. lost 20 gb, lugi. its like buying a 2gb thumdrive and actually getting just 1.9gb. can anyone explain that in layman's terms (hehehe) and is my 20gb loss unusual?

thanks guys

12. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@morrissey_05:

The discrepancy can be due to the fact that Gigabyte can mean two things.

In Metric/SI terms it can mean 1,000,000,000 bytes (1000^3).
    In Binary it can mean 1,073,741,824 bytes (1024^3).

Technically, in SI terms, your HDD has 320GB. In Binary, it has less than 300GB.

Check this page out and scroll down to "customer confusion": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

13. checkyoulater

checkyoulater Member

ok i read that link/artiel you mentioned, and i'm more confused lol....it's sooo technical

14. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Long Story Short.

Hard Drive Companies say 1 GB is 1,000,000,000.
    You computer says 1GB is 1,073,741,824. And that 1,000,000,000 is obviously less than a Gigabyte. The more Gigs in a HDD, the more "missing" space due to the numbers adding up.

15. morrissey_05

morrissey_05 Member

rafael,
    so thats it. anyway, as long as the "loss" of space is normal, i can live with it.

16. checkyoulater

checkyoulater Member

see now that's a very easy interpretation, lol. thanks