Stolen Unibody MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Dell M1210

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mindless, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mindless

mindless Member

My friend had his car broken in to by thieves last night. He was parked in the parking lot beside Podium in Ortigas.

We placed our things inside the trunk and we came back a few hours later everything was gone which included his MacBook Air and my MacBook Pro (both only a few days old).

The windows were not broken - apparently they were able to mess with the car's lock.

Here are the items that were stolen:

1.6 MacBook Air Intel Chipset (Bought from Rain Man)
    Serial No: YD9011AZY51

2.4ghz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Serial No: W88522KH1G0

Dell XPS M1210
    Serial No: GS9LM1S

Please contact the authorities if you may have bought or found any of the items either online or offline or contact this number 09184866585. We will be giving a cash reward to anyone who can give us useful information in tracking these items.

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Aw man, sorry for the loss. I hope you somehow find the thieves and put them to justice. This is probably a warning for all of us not to leave our stuff unattended in cars as most thieves seem to be getting really good at opening car locks.

3. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

The thieves knew the trunk contains the laptops.
    Bad thought, but ever thought that somehow when guards open our trunks for checking, they may have tip some goons about it?

4. mindless

mindless Member

Guards didnt check the trunk when he parked i think. but I guess one of our mistakes was that we loaded the trunk in the parking lot.

5. Rastaman

Rastaman Member

Under your bed. In your closet. In your head.
    ^Or the notebooks were placed in the trunk after the car was parked. The thieves could have seen them place their stuff in the trunk.

Edit: mindless' reply was posted at the same time as mine. I knew it.

6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

The only explanation I can think off is those thieves were hanging out in the car park area spotting for targets.

7. iPood

iPood Member

i never leave stuffs in my car, so if you get your laptops stolen would be the owners own discretion,

lessons learned the hard way, but i do hope you get your laptops back

8. amg99

amg99 Active Member

do you happen to have Adiona or any security apps installed that may help locate it?

9. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Dang, I feel bad for you dude. Saw you sold your previous MBP for that new one and it just gets stolen. Don't worry, justice will catch up with them sooner or later.

10. xai

xai Member

Ouch... I'm sorry.. Hope you have your laptops back.

11. lizlanuzo

lizlanuzo New Member

12. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Ouch..that's effing ridiculous! lax security?! c'mon!

13. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

Damn,, what a big loss from you guys, next time be careful. Tsk2..

14. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Tsk. These robberies are getting more frequent nowadays. Could the recession probably trigger this?

15. lizlanuzo

lizlanuzo New Member

16. MacNotApple

MacNotApple Member

Robbers are getting better, so to speak... That totally sucks..

Somehow it's a blessing in disguise that warns others not to load your valuables in hidden areas of your car AFTER parking.

17. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@lizluano: No need to post the same thing twice within an hour of each other. If you want to add to a prior post, please use the edit function. Thank you :)

@all: I guess a recommendation is to carry around with you what you don't wish to lose. As much as we want to think that our vehicles are safe places, given time and a good concealed location, they can be broken into and the contents taken.

18. savadious

savadious Active Member

It may not have been the security to blame because its actually easier to get into a trunk than it is to enter a door.

One heavy duty forged screwdriver and a large hammer can open a trunk in ONE hit - making about the same amount of noise as slamming a door closed ! Then the magnanakaw walk away as if they were the owners while they look for witnesses - and if its clear then they just turn the screwdriver and get away with anything inside - and anyone who saw them pay no attention as they look like legitimate owners going into the mall.

Actually.. yes.. and experts predict it WILL get worse in the next few months... Even the recent reports of OFW remittances show the impact of the global financial situation. People dont have the pera they want - so they get desperate... Stay on "yellow alert" until the world calms down ...

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?p=554778#post554778

Even NON-VALUABLES should not be loaded after parking! I learned that the hard way years ago. A friend loaded an EMPTY briefcase after parking and someone broke the window to enter - only to discover the briefcase was empty! Thousands of peso of damage for an empty case !

#18 savadious, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  19. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

robbers frequent that area....

20. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

That's almost P200k worth of stuff on one swoop. Looks like the robbers are really getting sophisticated and know where to hunt.

#20 docnico, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009