Stolen iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macoy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Before upgrading I suggest securing the home first. Do some you research and buy some quality double cylinder deadbolts on the doors and windows. Perhaps weld metal bars to cover your windows and install trigger alarms.

Perhaps a Macbook Pro could possibly a better replacement because you can easily hide it in a well secured and hidden safe.

All this probably won't stop a determined criminal but it will add several layers of security and possibly deter him because it takes too long to do his deed and thieves are always under time pressure on the job. :)

2. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

@Macoy
    i live in the same area, sorry for your loss. i hope that they catch this thief.

sad and scary that crime incidence has been increasing in our general area; December 26, a "bombay" was held-up at gun point in our street.

3. RastaSega

RastaSega Member

i live in the same area and got my home broken into last month.

thieves probably used the same tactic. He gained access to the door via the window right beside it.

He used a piece of glass and a screwdriver to open the deadbolt.

Good luck sir. I hope you get your stuff back.

I didn't.

4. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Wow sorry for your loss! That thief was pretty bold considering how big, noticeable and bulky the 27 inch was!!! I'm sure they had a getaway van for that purpose.

5. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh and in case you haven't done so already, perhaps you can submit the enhanced photo to the media. And since it seems that it happens quite often in your area, the media might take notice and give it ample attention.

6. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

i suggested to macoy to post it here. also he has a friend from UP diliman who is also a regular here. i forgot his name although i have dealt with that guy before. i can vouch for macoy. he's not a regular mac user since he has been developing apps for windows back in our UP days.

7. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

+1 to secure your home

+1 to get a portable

+1 to get a "noise-maker" - alarm, shotgun, loud ringtone - or just anything that will deter the robber from entering your home.

For P99 (at the 99-peso shops) you can buy a very loud door alarm that you can set every night.

Long term solution is to relocate... :-(

8. philpangandian

philpangandian Active Member

+1 on this... There was this case that it even reached Gizmodo..

9. murmurr

murmurr Member

that's something, an iMac how heavy is that? better watch out on online stores and forums that sold pc items, like tpc maybe we can spot it there.

10. Time

Time Member

The police wont help. When we asked for help regarding theft in our warehouse all we got was a statement that it was no longer in their jurisdiction since the thieves had already left. By the time we got to file the case with the CIDG there is no way they will be able to catch the thieves.

Quite frankly these crooks are likely to be working with the police. Wala naman silang pinagkaiba pare pareho lang silang magnanakaw.

We should just allow people to carry their own guns ma reliable pa than expecting help from the useless cops.

11. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

I think you gave out the wrong serial number

12. extremeshot

My wife wanted to relocate after our house got broken into in broad daylight (we're in a guarded subdivision already) but the I told her that it's no different anywhere else. These things happen in exclusive villages too so I wonder where is the best place to relocate if ever? Is the security of condos any better?

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm just really curious. What happens if you happen a catch a thief, shoot him and possibly kill him in the process. What are the legal implications here?

14. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

Thieves might be a living evil but I don't think it would justify a mac. We are only talking about iMac here and I won't kill a man just for a computer that can be replaced.

15. John H

John H Member

I don't know about you but if I catch an unknown man breaking inside my home, I would do everything I can to protect my family, even to the point that I will take his life if necessary.

16. datsmyboy

datsmyboy Member

Post the picture in facebook along with your story! ;)

17. WaZ_

WaZ_ Member

there is a long process for this, there will be court schedules from time to time, and until proven guilty before jail time.

18. comixster

comixster Member

From what I remember, a crime against property alone wouldn't justify taking another man's life but if that was coupled with a threat against your or your family's life or limb, then you may kill the offender as that may be considered as self-defense.

19. extremeshot

I don't think the material object is the point here so i totally agree with John H. These thieves can take whatever the hell they want but it's a totally different thing if the well being of your family is already at stake.

So in other words, I agree with you in the sense that if for some miraculous reason the thief on the photo is caught, I'm sure the TS won't go out of his way to shoot that guy. But if that thief broke into his house while he and his family was there, it's either you get the thief first or he gets you. Logical choice would be self-preservation.

20. Dethro

Dethro Member

+1. Once they enter my house, its already trespassing. And for me it means shoot to kill :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk