Stat softwares for mac?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by jaybes, Jul 25, 2006.

1. jaybes

jaybes Member

hi. i'm a newbie to mac. just got my macbook a month ago. i do a lot of economic research for work and they involve statistical analysis. what are the statistical analysis apps for mac? i used to use e-views, spss and sas during my pc days. do they have these apps for mac? thanks:)

2. elbert

elbert Active Member

Hi. You can try MacUpdate or VersionTracker. I'm certain you'll find loads of statistics-related software there.

3. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

If you plan to still use these windows stat software, why not try to install windows xp too via boot camp? you get to transport also your previous files from the windows world specific to your stat software.

4. jaybes

jaybes Member

Thanks sir elbert and macmon.

I found out some of the softwares i've been using have versions for mac except for eviews. But they all are very expensive (about a thousand $!). I forgot that i had pirated and/or student versions installed way back in college for my pc. (sorry for getting pirated:redface: )
    and if i do install wimdows xp, i dnt know if i want to install those pirated stuff in my macbook. unless i get a project where i'll realy be needing those.:p

Just a question though, (sorry this is kinda off topic) i heard its not a good idea to install windows xp via bootcamp just yet, is that true? why?

5. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

6. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

There is R for Mac OS X. Free and Open Source. It is the leading multi-platform statistical software among US universities.

For a directory of Free Open Source Software for Mac OS X, go here.

#6 Maccess, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  7. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

SPSS is for stat :)

8. malp

malp Member

Did you ever manage to get hold of a Mac version of SPSS? I'm also in the market for this. Does anyone have a second hand copy they'd like to unload?

If i'm not mistaken, v.13 doesn't work for Intel based macs. Does anyone have the v.11 they'd like to sell? :)