start up problem

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by nerveblues, Jan 4, 2009.

1. nerveblues

nerveblues Member

Hi, I was wondering if you can help me figure out with this issue: My macbook pro won't start to the log in display. It gets stuck to the gray apple logo with the progress indicator, and stays on that stage for several minutes. I tried turning it off and on, also tried starting it in safe mode, yet it still gets stuck on that stage. Any advice? This is the first time I encountered this with my macbook pro. Prior to this, I installed TrueCrypt and created a hidden volume. Could this have affected my start up?

2. chuckee.2002

chuckee.2002 Member

Try booting on your boot disk. Then repair permissions on disk utility. HTH

3. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Your MBP is probably having a hard time determining which disk/volume to start up from. Try rebooting while pressing "Option" and choose your regular start-up disk. Then in System Preferences, click Startup Disk and select that disk so the next time you start up, it won't look for the other volumes.

I'm not familiar with TrueCrypt though, so you might want to check their developer's site for additional troubleshooting...

4. nerveblues

nerveblues Member

Chuckee, thanks. The crew at Powermac Trinoma did this for me, and we found out that my HD is possibly damaged. However, they were able to repair it. The technician suggested we Archive and Install, but it won't.

Fcdiesta, thanks. I tried doing this but still no results.

Any suggestions?

5. nerveblues

nerveblues Member

Thank you for your replies to my query. I am thankful too for those who messaged me to provide their opinions. Most of all, I am very grateful to YNZAL especially Sir Val for helping me figure out the problem as well as in providing the much needed assistance in recovering my files and troubleshooting my mac. Now I am back in business. : D Happy New Year to all!

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@nerveblues, do you know what the actual problem was? Letting us know here might help someone else down the road :)

7. nerveblues

nerveblues Member

My analysis is that the culprit was either the encryption program which I downloaded and installed (TrueCrypt) or because of the hidden volume which I created. After working on my mac, Val of Ynzal told me that my HD is ok (meaning it's not damaged at all). I tried installing again the TrueCrypt application (I had to do this to recover my hidden files) and everything turned out ok. (But I had to delete again seeing that it has no use because I found out I can secure my files through Disk Utility.)

8. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Got it. Thanks for taking the time to update us :)

9. nerveblues

nerveblues Member

Would you have any other opinion on this case?