Staingate Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshuaster, May 1, 2015.

1. joshuaster

joshuaster New Member

I am actually planning to buy a Macbook Pro 13" retina (specs below) but I'm actually alarmed when I saw a website, staingate.org , showing retina MBPs having some stain issues.

13-inch: 2.7GHz
    with Retina display

Specifications

• 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    • 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage[SUP]1[/SUP]
    • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    • Built-in battery (10 hours)[SUP]2[/SUP]
    • Force Touch trackpad
    • ₱ 64,990.00

I just want to know if anyone here has experienced the same issue? Or is it in some countries only? Do you still recommend to buy this, or buy the 13-inch non retina instead?

Thank you very much!

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting I wonder what causes this. In many ways it reminds of of the screen smudging of the older gen aluminium iMacs. The thing is Apple tends to quietly fix these problems in later reiterations. The newest slim iMacs don't seem to have the smudging problem anymore. I'm guessing the newest 13 retina (the one with the force trackpad) will probably free from this issue.

3. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

wow this is quite concerning, as I currently own a late-2013 15-inch retina macbook pro. :(

is there a trend on how the stains developed?

4. joshuaster

joshuaster New Member

I think when you use cleaners and such. There is a video in Youtube that shows how a damp cloth can remove the coating in the screen.

5. mokmoki

wow, seriously? even water can remove the coating? i regularly clean my screen around every 2 weeks with a moist microfiber cloth.

6. joshuaster

joshuaster New Member

I'm actually concerned with that. I'm wondering if the early 2015 has the same issue.

7. NewBiee

NewBiee Member

Took the leap of fate and purchased my Macbook Pro Retina 13in 256gb and having extensively research this issue. But still, I bought one and I just hope that all will be okay.

8. joethemobile01

So how do we properly clean the rmbp screen? Along with my rMBP on the leaflet I have the Apple Microfiber cloth. I think I will have to use this everytime instead of using mist water

9. 1-PZIN01

1-PZIN01 Member

Reviving this thread, hopefully a couple of good tips can be posted for keeping our screens in top shape.

Thanks

10. 1-PZIN01

1-PZIN01 Member

Upon carefully examining my screen, I think I have this issue.

Anyone experienced trying to claim Apple Care warranty for this?

Thanks

11. mokmoki

i suggest just open up apple chat and talk to a support rep. if you're on extended apple care (or still on your MBP's first 3 months) then you can also call them up for easier communication.

i clean my screen every 2 weeks or so and it seems the coating hasn't come off on mine yet. my rMBP is currently 1 year and 2 months old.

12. duskpoy

duskpoy New Member

i have staingate issues too... and my 15 retina is out of warranty, trying my luck on emailing tcook..

13. segfault

segfault New Member

How common is this? Makes me nervous about my planned purchase.

14. iJav

iJav Active Member

I don't have this issue with my macbook pro. For those with this problem, here's good news for you...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...s-quality-program-for-retina-macbook-coatings

"Under the initiative's terms Apple will replace display assemblies on affected Retina display-toting MacBook models free of charge, reports MacRumors. The program, which will not be publicly announced, is effective for one year from Oct. 16, 2015, or within three years of original purchase, whichever offers longer coverage."

15. uglybunny

uglybunny Member

Newbie question, will they replace the LCD only? And are local apple service centres already accepting the replacement request?

16. Borgz

Borgz Member

I got the LCD replaced (display only) for free. I've been advised to pick up my unit today. Had it fixed at Senco Link (Makati).

My unit is a 15" MPB w/ Retina Display and it manifested the wearing off of the anti-reflective coating of the display for over a year now. Tried products like Whoosh hoping it will be removed, but the stain is indeed permanent.

My applecare just expired last September 2015, but Apple is honoring units that has this problem with its Quality Program.

I truly applaud Apple for this. This is a commitment beyond customer satisfaction that I guess only this company can deliver.

17. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

How long did the repair take? Mine started to show up earlier this year but thankfully did not spread because I just stopped trying to clean it. It created 2 lines though and seems like they match the keyboard pattern.

18. Borgz

Borgz Member

I submitted my MBP on a Wednesday afternoon. Got notification the next day that the assessment was performed and display is for replacement. I got it earlier today, Monday. All in all 5 days (3 working days)

19. NewBiee

NewBiee Member

Just want to update everyone that Apple is now doing a recall for the defective screens, they are not publicizing it. I don't know why, but refer to the picture below and show them this if the local service center does not accept your macbook.

staingate.jpg

genesisdeleon likes this.
  20. jeffer

jeffer New Member

Lahat ba ng mbpr affected kahit 2015 models?