Spoilers Avengers End Game

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by leninmac, Apr 25, 2019.

1. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Ok. So I wasn't really expecting that they'd kill off Black Widow because of the planned standalone solo movie/s though I think it's going to be a prequel. I thought that they would instead kill off Hawkeye because he's always been used as side character. Ironman being killed, this I was expecting. We've had 3 Ironman movies and for all intents and purposes, his story has been fleshed out already plus RDJ is not really getting any younger. Also thought that Cap would be killed. We've heard Chris Evans for the longest time expressed interest in leaving MCU to concentrate on a career in directing. Turns out that he'll leave but Cap stays.

Godfather likes this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...RDJ leaving the stage is bittersweet. No more Thor standalone? Black Widow killed off. Okay lang. Evan’s exit was unexpected but fitting.

The final battle was epic. That alone is worth the ticket.

The mid-part was just meh. The infinity missions made me sleepy.

Is Endgame better than Infinity? Maybe or maybe not. But it a series and should be judged as one big story....told a single movie neatly broken into two parts.

Overall, Infinity plus endgame is an excellent 9/10.

#2 raypin, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Godfather, Mykolant and leninmac like this.
  3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Infinity War I liken to Black Hawk Down. Riveting action, yet truthful. Leaves one dazed and confused.

Endgame I liken to Saving Private Ryan. Epic battle, but melodramatic with its Hollywood ending, when the old Private Ryan asked his wife, "Tell me I've led a good life." Wife retorts, "What?" Ryan: "Tell me I'm a good man." Yuck. :D

Both epic. One is just less contrived.

But the epic irony of Endgame is that "Superheroes" can't move on. Even Elsa learned to "Let It Go". :D

Godfather, Mykolant and Sunil_K like this.
  4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Indeed. To each his own. I've always liked the middle—Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, The Dark Knight (how can one not? Heath Ledger FTW!), etc. So not surprisingly, I also liked Infinity Wars better. Maybe it's the middle child in me, wanting to give the middle finger to the finale. :D

Certainly a lot better than Godfather 2 and 3, or worse, Matrix 2 and 3. :D

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  5. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I really enjoyed the whole thing - even the "boring" parts. The way the movie was structured - where multiple events are happening in parallel really brings that comics feel.
    Some questions:
    • The space stone from 2012 was stolen by Loki so they had to get the one from 1970. When Steve went back and returned the stones to their original timeline, he returned the 70's version. So there is a 2012 version of Loki roaming around with the space stone? Is this the version of Loki in the upcoming Disney+ series?
    • Since the time stone from 2012 was stolen by Loki and not returned, Thor and Loki would not be able to return to Asgard (the Bifrost was broken at the time). Would this mean that the events of Thor: The Dark World happened differently?
    • Did Steve also return Mjolnir to its original timeline?
    • We have a rat to thank for bringing back Ant Man from the quantum realm.

6. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Was kinda expecting that Iron Man would die. Unexpected surprise with what they did with Cap.

When they were focusing the characters during the funeral, there was one tall lanky teenager(?) standing alone behind Wanda, Bucky, & Sam I think. Who was that?

#6 bugs, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Mykolant likes this.
  7. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

That guy was Harley Keener.
    You remember the kid from Iron Man 3? (y)

iron-man-3-ty-simpkins.jpg

Cmmig, Mykolant, MharDelaCruz and 2 others like this.
  8. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

Apparently, Thor became my most relatable superhero, post-Infinity War. With years of delicious beer and a good sofa sans exercise, I heard many ladies, who saw him lose his well-sculpted pan de sals, say "whuuuuuut???!"

ericb, Mykolant and raypin like this.
  9. bugs

Ah ok thanks! Was trying hard to remember who it was hehe.

10. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

First 2 acts were standard fare, it's to be expected, you build up to the third act. So if you really wanted to go to the men's room, you could do it in maybe 1 or 2 scenes. So that's why RDJ said the last 8 minutes were the best in the MCU, cause he dies in it. LOL Nice how they tied up some loose ends, like Tony's daddy issues and Steve Rogers' long awaited reunion with Agent Carter (Natasha didn't have any loose ends, because you know, that's what she was originally paid to do. LOL).

Speaking of contrived, I felt the addition of A-Farce, I mean A-Force was, well, forced. All of them just happened to be free? It's not like they had a drought of opponents. Not to mention most of them had not fought together so them fighting as one group (can't call them a team) did not actually add anything to the fight, aside from the combined blasts that hit Thanos (which admittedly was cool).

Hawkeye as Ronin wasn't particularly convincing. He was just like Hawkeye but with a new haircut. But Jeremy delivered on those emotional scenes well. Professor Hulk was great as well as Big Lebowsky Thor, their scenes show their comedic and dramatic chops equally well.

All in all, a fitting end for Phase 3 (although technically, it's Spider Man : Far From Home). Phase 4 starts with Black Widow next year (allegedly) and now we can definitively it will be set in the past. Then Black Panther 2 which is certainly set in the current timeline. Next will be Shang-Chi which even for a casual comic book fan like myself, have no clue who this is. Others will be in 2021-22. But unfortunately, no X-Men/Fantastic Four in Phase 4. As Kevin Feige explained, they already had Phase 4 mapped out before Disney announced the Fox Movie division acquisition so probably an obscure reference or an uncredited cameo at most.

Godfather and Sunil_K like this.
  11. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Just wondering: how did Stark choose who to vanish in his snap? Everyone who came from the portal except Nebula and Gamora? Or was Gamora included that’s why she’s missing?

12. mysterio

It's asking our suspension of disbelief to accept that one of the most powerful cosmic objects in the universe can be operated just like that, without instructions. As for Gamora's whereabouts, I'm sure she was intentionally missing at the end. It gives something for the As-Guardians to do or at least start doing in Vol. 3. I hope they reveal Adam Warlock there. It's such a waster to tease him at the end of Vol. 2 and not use him. Maybe a good segue into the Eternals movie.

13. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    This scene felt more like a salute to women and all that's been happening with regard to the fight for gender equality in the real world.

Overall, great work by the Russo Brothers!!

But now I have to live in a world without Iron Man....

14. mysterio

To which Brie Larson would say "You don't need Iron Man in the world, you don't need men. Period. There is Captain Marvel, she's all the MCU needs, thank you very much." (insert other Avengers' cringe reactions to her wokeness here) :p

The A-Force was hinted at last year by Kevin Feige, who said that the MCU moving forward would have more than 50% female superheroes. So not at all surprised at the scene. But the way it happened was not really organic, it didn't flow. Maybe we'll see an A-Force movie in the future, with Valkyrie and Captain Marvel rumored to be something Brie Larson is pushing for.

Mykolant likes this.
  15. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^That's just alright. I'm fine with that!

I was just so glad when all the good guys converged in the final battle that it didn't matter if none of the action scenes that followed made any logical sense as long as they were cinematically awesome!!

16. mysterio

Who knows? Maybe in Phase 5, Tony and Natasha turns out to be alive (we don't know what Steve did with the stones before he settled with Peggy). ;)

17. bugs

I think the ones that sacrificed their lives for the soul stone cannot be brought back to life? That’s why Gamora & Black Widow didn’t cone back.

18. mysterio

They can't be brought back to life but they can be brought to the present from a time when they were still alive as was shown by 2014 Gamora now existing in 2019 (with the 2018 Gamora dying on Vormir). I presume she's still alive and the search for Gamora will be a plot point in Asguardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

bugs likes this.
  19. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

If Captain Marvel arrived a few minutes earlier and destroyed that large ship with cannons, Wanda could have killed Thanos, and Stark would still be alive... But then, I guess that’s not part of the 14 million scenarios of Dr. Strange.

Godfather and Sunil_K like this.
  20. ironclaw79

ironclaw79 Member

Did iron man really need to snap his fingers? He could have just flown away while Captain Marvel beats Thanos without the stones..