Splitting files for Mac

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Mocha.Frap, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Guys! Need some help here. I've been searching all over PhilMUG and the net, but there seems to be no solution to my question.
    I would like to split a 7.4gb file(iso) into two so that I could burn it to two discs. My problem is that, I couldn't find any app for Mac that can split a file. Do you guys know any? Thanks!:D *preferably in a .rar format since I would run the discs in Windowd, and I would join the files again =)

2. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

Re: Spliting files for Mac

try maczipit, works like a regular zip program for windows. You can compress and split into segments. not sure about the .rar format though, but zip is a windows standard.

3. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

I've been using this app a long time now and I've just discovered that it can do segmented .rar files
    It's called Gumby. check it out. be sure to download the manual because it is feature packed

http://gumby.misplacedmac.com/

#3 wildcard, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  4. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, Toast has disk spanning built-in. So if you already have Toast, you can use that. It will include a Windows .exe file to re-join the segments.

5. demigod

demigod New Member

Try Split & ConCat it's a freeware and works well. it is compatible with windows also.no need of any application in windows to Concat it.But u need create a simple bat file. Read me file has a sample .bat file.
    replace filename with the original one in batch file.

Good luck

6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Do you really need to split your file into two discs? Your iMac has a DL drive - all you need is one DL disc. Otherwise, Toast will span your file into two discs if that's what you really plan to do (same as Patrick Gaerlan's suggestion).

7. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

What I did was I used Split and Concat to split the files. Then I put them on my iPod then transfered it to my PC, and I used 001 Joiner to merge the files again :D