Spinning beach ball

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by beaj, Jan 18, 2010.

1. beaj

beaj New Member

Hi! I got my new HD today and upgraded it to Snow Leopard as well. Anyway, I've been using my MBP for a few hours now and I noticed that whenever I play music on iTunes and do some web browsing on Safari, the spinning beach ball appears once in a while (every 5-10minutes. It gets really annoying). I know this is not normal. Is it because of Snow Leopard? What should I do? Thanks!

2. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

What kind of HD did you upgrade to? What are the brand and specs? For all we know, it could be the HD itself that's acting up.

3. KiDKUMAG

KiDKUMAG Member

OT:
    "Spinning beach ball of death."
    According to happyslip/christine gambito. LOL.

Anyway, you might have other applications (aside from safari, such as heavy applications, games, and the like..) that are currently running while listening on iTunes, hence the intermittent appearance of the spinning beach ball.

4. beaj

beaj New Member

I already had 2 broken HDs ever since I got my MBP. This is my third one already. Here's an overview of my hardware:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

5. beaj

beaj New Member

Well aside from iTunes and Safari, the only other application running is Y!M.

6. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Try running Activity Monitor and see which application is hogging your CPU.

7. KiDKUMAG

KiDKUMAG Member

Hmmm.. Have you tried switching on and off YM while using iTunes?
    It might be some issues with YM. IMO.

8. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Since you said you just upgraded your OS, maybe Spotlight is taking a long time to index your data thereby causing the beachball. Do you see a dot in the middle of Spotlight's magnifying glass on the right of the menubar?

9. Barbara

Barbara Member

useful,thanks

10. pfalcone

pfalcone Member

I've given up on Safari after upgrading to Snow Leopard because of the constant spinning pinwheel/beachball, even if it is the only app running. Slow startup times, even after busting the cache. Just switched to Firefox and Chrome and never looked back.

Pity though that I get better battery life with Safari (considering that battery life diminished with Snow Leopard + 64bit Safari compared to Leopard + 32bit Safari) - but if it comes at the price of inconvenience I'm not using it!

11. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@pfalcone, try using ClickToFlash. It's a Safari plug-in that blocks any Flash unless you click on the Flash window. It has made surfing with Safari so much better, Flash is notorious for being a memory and CPU hog and it's easy to forget how much Flash ads get loaded in the web sites you visit. Highly recommended.

12. pfalcone

pfalcone Member

It still doesn't solve the random freezes that Safari 64bit on Snow Leopard has, unfortunately. The freezes are prominent after just starting Safari without having Flash loaded.

13. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@pfalcone, yikes, looks like you have more serious issues. Since you're already using other browsers, I guess best to wait for the soon-to-be-released 10.6.3 update. I hope it solves your Safari problem.

14. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Maybe disabling "64bit" for Safari would help get rid of that spinning beachball. It would still work on 32bit anyway.

15. Ikon

Ikon Member

no flash player/plugins yet for 64bit browser, be it firefox, safari & internet explorer, use a 32bit browser on your 64bit OS when visiting website that require flash.

#15 Ikon, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  16. pfalcone

pfalcone Member

That's the actual solution for the problem :) The random freeze reminiscent of 64-bit Safari disappears if Safari is run in 32-bit mode. The penalty for that is a slower Javascript implementation (as Webkit developers optimized the 64-bit path for the Nitro JS VM), but heck, I'd have that over random freezes anytime!

17. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Are you sure about this? I'm wondering because I'm using Flash without any problems on 64-bit Safari under Snow Leopard. At least I think it's running in 64-bit mode, because I don't have the "Open in 32-bit mode" option checked in Safari's Get Info settings.

18. Ikon

Ikon Member

#18 Ikon, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  19. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Personal Macs have no business running on 64 bit he he. Run your apps in 32 bit mode.