Songs Lost in Itunes

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by platonick_69, Nov 8, 2008.

1. platonick_69

platonick_69 Member

I am not sure if there is a similar thread and I badly need help so here it goes..

I have been loosing songs in Itunes. It started with just a few songs so it didn't bother me.Just now, I was cleaning my library when I found out that i lost almost 300 songs already.

A friend has told me it might be because of genius, I have turned it off since then but i still lost songs.

Thanks in advance.

ian

2. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

How do you know you're actually losing songs? Also, did you change any of the iTunes settings from the default?

3. platonick_69

platonick_69 Member

I haven't changed anything yet in my itunes except for the new songs I added. I would normally see an exclamation point before the title.When I play it, it says the song has been removed or tranferred and then there's an option of searching in the library. When I do that, the song can't be found.

Thanks.

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Do you have on the setting on to copy songs into your itunes library when you play the song? If you don't; you'll lose the song if you move it or copy it to another location or erase it. This is why that exclamation point appears.

When you say "clean your library", what do you mean? Are you moving songs around in the different folders? I just let iTunes manage my library automatically.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

President-Elect Obama is right. Either you are moving songs to different folder(s) or when you import the songs from your sources (audio cd or an external hard drive), you unchecked the "copy songs....." under itunes preferences. If you have space issues in your hard drive, you can still have your itunes catalogue it but you have to reinsert or reattach your external hard drive everytime you want to play those songs. By catalogue, I mean itunes will take note of the specific folder location for your songs but it does not make a copy of the song(s) to the default itunes song library.

I suggest you sort out the mess by locating all your songs and placing them in the default itunes songs library and let itunes take over. There is simply no way that Genius can mess up your itunes library. If its a big mess, create a new itunes library by pressing option + itunes icon and start anew.

Or you could simply be losing your mind ;)

6. wolfjazz

wolfjazz Member

You can try searching the songs in your iTunes Library folder. It's arranged by artist and albums. Don't forget that iTunes sometimes creates a "Compilation" folder too.

Just a suggestion, rebuild your iTunes music library.
    Select all tracks *Ctrl+A" or "Command+A" then Delete. iTunes will ask you if you want to "Keep Files" or "Move To Trash", select "Keep Files".

Click on "File" then "Add to Libary" or "Add Folder to Library" and select the folder where you store all your music files. Usually it's inside C: My documents/music/iTunes/iTunes Library.

This will add all your songs back to iTunes.

Just make sure that all your songs are in just one location.

Hope this helps.

7. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@wolfjazz:

You're assuming of course that all his songs are IN his iTunes Library Folder to begin with. With the information he's mentioned, I'm thinking they aren't. They're maybe on another folder and not copied into his library folder when he plays it (which is what I asked him), which is why they aren't found when iTunes searches for them (and why there's an exclamation point before the song)

8. platonick_69

platonick_69 Member

I tried locating them but the songs couldn't be found.

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@platonick_69, in iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced, please confirm that you have both "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" options checked.

Also confirm that your iTunes Music folder is in your internal hard disk.

10. wolfjazz

wolfjazz Member

Have you tried doing a scour search for all your files for *.mp3 or *.m4a files?

via Search in Windows and Spotlight in Macs?