Something Weird Going On With My MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Bulakbol, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

My MacBook is showing some problems lately. Screen saver will not activate and even if it does, it will just blink as if trying to launch the program then goes on and off, on and off. My mouse is also acting strange. I am using a BT mouse but whenever I hover over the dock, it will show but the icons will not magnify and the dock would appear like it is stuck or something. Yesterday my MacBook turned off by itself twice. Are these signs that more problems will come? What should I do to test my Mac? I already did a repair permission, by the way.

#1 Bulakbol, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. fteoOpty64

fteoOpty64 Member

Reset the PRAM and SMC. If it persists, there might be potential hardware problems lurking.

Do Verify Disk and then repair permissions again. Do you get a lot of error messages the last time ?. One step before you bring it to the shop, do Archive/Install from DVD and see if a fresh install will help. Good luck.

3. 180er

180er New Member

It turned off by itself? Maybe your fan's not moving causin overheating. It happened to my Mac before. I had the fan replaced.

4. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I discovered something. I was about to reset SMC so I turned my MacBook over to take the battery out. The battery pack is bloated and the cover is warped. I had a hard time placing it back into its slot. I definitely need to have this replaced. The battery pack still works fine though so sayang naman.

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Bulakbol, if I were you I'd head to the nearest Authorized Apple Repair/Applecare service location to get your MB checked out. The bloated battery may have deformed your casing to the extent that perhaps internal components such as wiring or the logic board may have been bent/deformed or otherwise adversely affected. And there's always the chance that the bloated battery may be a symptom or effect of what's affecting your MB and not the root cause.

6. Epzilog

Epzilog Member

do you have any idea how that happens for the sake of other users so we can prevent it... please and thank you...

7. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I am not sure, really. I just discovered it today. I noticed in the past few days that my fan would whir like crazy but I never had a clue that my battery is getting deformed.

8. Josephu992

Josephu992 Member

It's a power supply problem. Too many surges and spikes going to the power adapter and then battery. Is there a high load device on your household electrical grid. Air conditioner, washer and dryer, pumps?? Your computer is getting too little electricity and then too much. That's why the screen won't come on some times. Replace the battery and run the computer from a UPS and surge protector.

9. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Yeah, I have all appliances you mentioned except a pump. I am using a surge protector with my Mac all the time though. The battery pack has expanded so bad that the cover already touches the table it is on.

10. Josephu992

Josephu992 Member

A surge protector will protect the computer from too much electricity not too little. Get a UPS to even out the current. Charge the UPS at night.

11. Epzilog

Epzilog Member

ohh ok hopefully its not too too late now and good luck on your replacement battery.

12. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Will Apple replace my battery without cost? I bought this unit in June 2007.

13. Craig

Craig Member

14. Josephu992

Josephu992 Member

Don't count on it. Apple has strict guide lines for replacement. For example, if the battery was a specific batch number made in Japan, yes, you get a replacement. Otherwise, it's your problem where you plug in your computer.

15. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

How would they know if the swelling is caused by electrical surges and not a defect? According to the link Craig posted, if the battery pack is visibly deformed then I can get a replacement. It is deformed and I may have caused damage to some other parts.

16. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Again, try to get your system checked out. I think josephhu992 has a fixation regarding power fluctuations & reliability, since he's very concerned about it if you've been following his posts on the "surge protector" thread.

As I said before, the battery may be the cause of the problems you've been having or a symptom. Get your machine checked out unless things go back to normal once you've gotten a replacement.

17. mendozil

mendozil Active Member

if you have applecare, that's really not a problem. on the other hand, if you dont..... ouch.

18. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I have AppleCare and that should cover the damage done to other parts. I recently posted a problem on my click bar before I discovered this batter issue. I believe the swelling battery is the culprit.

19. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

An update, I called Apple Singapore and they said they will replace the battery pack free of charge. They want me to bring the unit to an authorized service center so I can have the unit checked for other defects which may have been caused by the swelling battery. The rep specifically mentioned that AppleCare will cover it. Thank goodness for AppleCare. Wait a minute, I thought AppleCare does not cover batteries?

#19 Bulakbol, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  20. Blacknwise

Blacknwise New Member

Need Help Macbook is acting up

Something is wrong, first monitor keep on blinking....

Then few days now.. turns off by it self. I ran a hardware test and found one error which i do not understand:

4MOT/1/40000002: CENTER_LOWER-Font

anyone help me figure this out plz!