Software Update to 10.5.8 takes forever!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by RandyQ, Mar 18, 2010.

1. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

hi folks,
    I have a new MBP, and I'm reinstalling the OS from scratch. My problem is that I've got 10.5.5 installed OK, and now running software update to 10.5.8 but its taking forever. I even tried leaving the MBP running overnight to see if it just takes time (+- Seven hours), but the update seems to be stalled.

FYI, I am at the stage where I was prompted to restart, and the screen has a slider that says "configuring installation" or something like that, and its been stuck since last night. I did a hard restart, ran software update again, but it keeps sticking at this point after prompting for a restart.

Anyone have an idea what to do with this?

2. ian_gabinete

ian_gabinete Member

It's probably because of your internet connection. How is your mac connected? Via DSL cable, wi-fi or mobile broadband?

3. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@RandyQ, if that doesn't work then try the downloadable Cumulative Software Update for 10.5.8. 10.5.5 -> 10.5.8 update is a big download and a few wrong bits downloaded due to faulty network connection can really ruin your update.

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Download the latest Combo Update for 10.5. It's bigger but it is complete and has everything. Combo Updates have been very reliable for me.

5. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Download 10.5.8 combo update using your browser's downloader, not from the software update. After it's done, double click the package from the folder where you saved it.

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@RandyQ, if you still can't get the 10.5.8 Combo Update, let me know. I can burn you copy on a CD.

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

8. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

hola amigos!

i'm still running 10.5.2 on my MBA. i just downloaded AIM 7 for Mac. unfortunately, my OS version is not supported. will the link for the Combo Update up top resolve my issue without any negative side effects?

thnx in advance!

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The link will work for your Mac. I don't know if it will comply with Aim 7. Find out its minimum OS X requirement.

10. jps444

jps444 Active Member

combo update is the best solution for that. software update can be unreliable sometimes.

11. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

muchas gracias amigos! the combo update works perfectly!