software similar to PC suite

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by busrider, Jan 11, 2009.

1. busrider

busrider Member

i'm a new mac user and am wondering if there is any way i can use my cellular phone as a 3G modem. i use nokia PC suite when i boot to windows xp and i want something similar when i boot to OSX. the last software i found was MacSync and is only a backup software. help anyone? thank you in advance...

2. makinao

makinao Active Member

In my experience, Macs don't need external programs such as PC Suite to work with bluetooth/3g phones.

Most bluetooth phones will sync to iCal and Address Book using iSync. If there is no native support for your specific model, just google "(your phone) iSync" and there will most probably be a third party free plug-in on the net.

To use your phone as a modem, set up a new location in the "Network" section of "System Preferrences". Google it, or search around this forum on how to set it up for your phone.

3. mousehole

mousehole Active Member

i can't remember the exact process i did, but it was as simple as pairing up my nokia n81 with my mbp as a trusted bluetooth device. then i went into network preferences, clicked on "bluetooth" as my connection, then i was up and running in a matter of seconds!

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

Nokia PC Suite is a data synchronization software for Nokia phones and PCs.

To sync your Nokia phone data with a Mac, you can simply use iSync, which is standard software on OSX.

Using a Nokia phone as a data modem is also very simple.

The process starts by checking Nokia's iSync site for your Nokia's compatibility: http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_1171779

Some Nokias will require a driver download.

Once you've determined that your phone is compatible, or you have setup your Mac with the proper drivers, then all you have to do is launch Bluetooth Setup Assistant by selecting 'Set up Bluetooth Device from the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar. Then just follow the onscreen instructions. Once completed, you will be asked how you want to use your Nokia with the Mac.

It's really all very simple.

5. viral_variance

does your phone have bluetooth? you can enable it internet via phone on your bluetooth settings, and network preferences

6. busrider

busrider Member

thanks... i'll try to explore on these

7. judoka03g

judoka03g Member

reviving an old thread...

Given that there still is no PC suite for OSX, is there a way to use my 3G phone as a modem via a data cable? My phone's Bluetooth is broken.

When I plug my Nokia phone in via data cable, the phone prompts me so select a USB Mode, either PC Suite (which isn't available on Mac), Printing and Media or Data Storage (which allows me to access files on my phone'memory card like a USB drive. Of these 3 options which one should I pick if i wish to setup an internet connection via the phone? or Is the option I need ( a "data" option perhaps) just not available, therefore making the data cable/modem setup impossible?

8. jum0ng

jum0ng Member

@Judoka03g..... Try at the Network preferences then "Assist me" .... but first, On the phone or nokia it must be setup to share the internet connection or it must be setup as a modem.