So many streaming services...

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by oj88, Nov 22, 2019.

1. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Universal’s latest theater deal brings some movies to streaming faster | Engadget

3. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Cord cutting is really getting expensive because of these price hikes from different providers. I’m guessing Sling TV will raise their prices soon for new customers since they promised their current subscribers that their plans are guaranteed safe from price hikes for a year.

What makes cord cutting complicated is that most of these streamers have similar base price but have different offerings. It’s likely one consumer would have to subscribe to 2 providers just to get their desired content.

leninmac and raypin like this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

leninmac and Godfather like this.
  5. leninmac

Hmm. This is bad for cinemas. The 3 month theatrical exclusivity is what makes cinemas more appealing to moviegoers. It will also impact the budgetary allocation to movies by film studios. Film studios need cinema money to earn profit. The Mulan experiment failed. Revenue coming from PVOD will not be sufficient for studios to break even.

#65 leninmac, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    greta87 and raypin like this.
  6. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

7. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Reviving this cause I can’t decide what to add to Netflix.

Amazon prime was a dud.

Apple TV only had one good show after one year (servant by Shylaman)

Disney plus has the biggest draw for variety (I’ve got a vpn)

Obviously we all are Netflix and chillin, but if you had to add one or two more streaming service, what would it be for 2021?

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...netflix plus monthly rotate the others. Just cancel a few days before they autobill.

I rotate hulu, sling, hbo max, cbs all access, disney + and when my Apple TV Plus (free) expires, I ll rotate.

Hero33 likes this.
  9. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Currently subscribed:
    – Apple TV+: it's free anyway so why not
    – Netflix: just can't un-hook since it's got more content that the wife and kids enjoy
    – Disney+: just for the holidays
    – Prime: we still have a student discount; also they tend to release newer movies almost alongside iTunes but without addt'l cost

Currently unsubscribed:
    – Crave (Canada's HBO Max... in a way): really wanna get this but so pricey. Might get a month or 2... but have to ask the rest of the fam to un-hook Netflix for the time being

Probably unrelated but we just paid $30 + tax to stream WW1984 on iTunes/Movies. The movie was bad... but even if it was great, that price just feels like a rip-off.

10. kinse_44

Definitely HBO Max. But if you find $14.99 a month is a bit too much, then get the local version of HBO Go.

MharDelaCruz likes this.
  11. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Currently on:

Netflix
    Amazon Prime
    Disney+
    AppleTV+ (still within the free promo)
    Youtube - sports highlights, some newsbits, talkshow excerpts, etc. The streams I subscribe to include: Living Big in a Tiny House; Living the Van Life, My Number Juan Bus; and some automotive vlogs.

I think it's worth it coz we're sharing our Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV+, and Prime access with our kids in Oz, and the Disney+ with my brother in Ireland.

I don't want to add another streaming service for now; I don't even have all the time in the world to catch up with my watchlist from each of the services that I already have!

Maybe if there's another lockdown order to stay home in our part of the world. But we don't so my only viewing time is weekends, if at all.

12. ice

Sorry if this has been answered earlier...

Are there any local promotions for the following (family plans)

Spotify
    YouTube
    Netflix
    Viu

13. kinse_44

Not aware of any promos for family plans. I think YouTube Premium is free for the first month.

In other streaming news, WWE Network is moving to NBC's Peacock in the US. Subscribers can now pay $4.99 with ads ($9.99 without ads) to watch exclusive WWE PPVs and the WWE Network library, together with Peacock Originals, past and current NBC shows, English Premier League, and a decent catalog of movies vs to the current standalone WWE Network subscription at $9.99.

14. ice

was thinking if Globe or Smart has any promotions... for subscribers

15. kinse_44

I think Globe has Viu included with their broadband plans.

16. leninmac

HBO Max 2021

raypin likes this.
  17. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Saw the commercials for the Paramount+ streaming service during the superbowl. How many more streaming services are there going to be?

leninmac and raypin like this.
  18. leninmac

Too many. Now you have to choose which subscription to maintain and which to cancel. It's getting more and more difficult to justify your Apple TV+ subscription considering its limited content.

19. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

I don't really watch that much so I plan to not maintain any one sub at all. Will just sub for a month or yeo on one then cancel and maybe move to another. Especially with Apple TV+, I'd just wait for next complete seasons of something like Mythic Quest and sub for a month, then wait for the next season of whatever may fancy me.

leninmac likes this.
  20. leninmac

Streaming channels are getting smart these days. They’re strategically releasing new contents every month to prevent you from cancelling. HBO Max will be releasing new movies every month. Disney Plus will probably launch a new series every 2 months.